THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default FOUND - PROVEN GASOLINE SAVER!

For those who believe in the tooth fairy:

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry about the orientation of the picture.

Jon.

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 08-27-2022, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And the rest of the story............................................. .................

Jon

Old 08-28-2022, 04:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Jon, I bet those work well with a Fish Carburetor, lol!!

Have you ever seen a Fish carb???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-28-2022, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Jon, I bet those work well with a Fish Carburetor, lol!!

Have you ever seen a Fish carb???
Yes,fFrom my website:

https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Ca...serknownbrands

Jon

Old 08-28-2022, 07:44 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

Very cool site carbking! Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't watch a Youtube video without some advertisement coming on telling of some fired employee or High School genius working in the chemistry lab who found a way to get another 40mpg's from your daily driver. At the end of all the "drama" and BS stories they link you to someplace that's going to try to unload your wallet buying some POS part that doesn't work.

I wonder how many folks buy into all that BS?.........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"I wonder how many folks buy into all that BS?........."

PT Barnum said 'There's a sucker born every minute'. And I believe him.

The Following User Says Thank You to tempest1964 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
You can't watch a Youtube video without some advertisement coming on telling of some fired employee or High School genius working in the chemistry lab who found a way to get another 40mpg's from your daily driver. At the end of all the "drama" and BS stories they link you to someplace that's going to try to unload your wallet buying some POS part that doesn't work.

I wonder how many folks buy into all that BS?.........
We had fun with my warranty administrator at one of the dealers. He bought a "fuel Ionizer" that was supposed to give him better fuel economy. We added a gallon of fuel to his tank daily for a week. He became an immediate believer until we stopped adding the fuel. He spent weeks trying to figure out why that happened, calling the company on the phone explaining how it only worked for a week. After about a month, we told him.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that was funny necdb3. You should have taken a gallon out after stopping adding a gallon.

It's like throwing rice under a Honda motorcycle when a guy says his doesn't leak oil.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder though what oil or vehicle cos have found out in the lab to increase mileage. Have they kept it secret for the fear of lost $ or what it is now that's it?

Old 08-28-2022, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Now that was funny necdb3. You should have taken a gallon out after stopping adding a gallon.

It's like throwing rice under a Honda motorcycle when a guy says his doesn't leak oil.
That was our thought except then we were playing with his car. We would have to open a fuel line and didn't want to get that far into it. Adding fuel is harmless and extremely easy, removing it? I didn't want to take that chance. I was also the service director of that dealership and thought I would control it before it got out of hand.

Dave

Old 08-28-2022, 11:45 AM
Boost Engineer

Biggest change in F.E. occurred with lower numerical axle ratios and more gears in the transmissions. Example: GM/Ford's efforts to produce a viable transmission with strength, and 7, 8, or 10 speeds.

Corvettes: 10 Speeds, F-150 Trucks: 10 speeds, a few still have 7 speeds or 6 speeds.

Turn the engine slower, you get fewer Combustion events (less Power Pulses), use less fuel, and have less wear on the engines.

So many, many years ago when there were Transmissions with Over Drive, the fuel consumed was less in over-drive mode.

History ALWAYS has Lessons IF you are Willing to Listen.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom - did you ever drive a 2-ton (or larger) with O.D.?

Get the truck to the speed you wanted, push in the clutch, flip the O.D. switch, wait a few seconds until you actually heard (and felt) the O.D. engage, and then release the clutch.

A true fuel-saving method during WWII (rationing), at least in north-central Missouri, was to remove the accelerator pump COMPLETELY from the carburetor. 50 years ago, we had several come in with no pump.

Jon.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Duct tape carbking's heel BEHIND the gas pedal so you only get 50% throttle at most.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the 70's I would take the secondary linkage off my Holley double pumper to save fuel. lol

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 08-28-2022, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59619586_317579818925418_2185854391901224960_n.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	597341  

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 08-28-2022, 02:45 PM

Solex 26VFIS carburetor used on 1131cc 25hp DIN (30hp SAE) VW engines up to 1953.

No accelerator pump. Wouldn’t have made much difference either way since accelerating wasn’t really a thing with them anyway, especially when used in a bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22DE936A-F8C6-4C25-9B86-F4917BFC0057.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	597342   Click image for larger version

Name:	25F91CCA-079C-4981-BDF1-2B7E7B4788D2.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	597343  

Old 08-28-2022, 05:14 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Tom - did you ever drive a 2-ton (or larger) with O.D.?

Get the truck to the speed you wanted, push in the clutch, flip the O.D. switch, wait a few seconds until you actually heard (and felt) the O.D. engage, and then release the clutch.

A true fuel-saving method during WWII (rationing), at least in north-central Missouri, was to remove the accelerator pump COMPLETELY from the carburetor. 50 years ago, we had several come in with no pump.

Jon.
Yes, I have driven several older vehicles with Over-drive installed and yes, you paid attention to what the
vehicle speed was vs the engine rpm.

And if you were good on the gas (Throttle) lever and if you matched the speed correctly, the accelerator pump
(if it had one) was rarely used except going up a steep hill.

Thanks for the memory.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All of this is vapor ware in my book.

The only time I've heard of gas savings was when I worked at Eastman Kodak in Rochester, NY back in 1973. One of the guys I work with in our department had bought a new 1972 Ford off a Ford dealer's showroom floor. I can't remember what model it was. Maybe a Galaxie 500 or Custom 500. Anyway, he said he was getting 52 m/g with it back and forth to work. And to make sure he checked 4 times with the same results. One day the dealer called that they need to do an inspection of the brakes. He didn't want to go back to them, but they insisted because if there was a problem it would be covered under the warranty. He could take it in because of work, so he let his wife take it in. And he said to her, "Under no circumstances are you to let it out of your sight." She took it but they wouldn't let her in the service department. She made a stand and lost. In it went and an hour later out it came. No problems with the brakes.

But when he got home after work, he took the car out for a ride. Guess what. Milage dropped to 19 m/g. The had taken the carb off and replaced it. He was p*ssed and called the dealer. They denied even touching the carb.

He figured this carb had gotten away from the factory with the "special gas saving carb' and by hook or crook got it back. 2 days later he made them take the car back and bought something other than a Ford... a new Honda that was just imported. Then his wife was p*ssed.

True story as to what we heard, as there were a bunch of us that heard this and agreed with him. Remember that even back then everyone, including the car manufacturers, were trying to save on gas mileage.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 08-28-2022 at 05:45 PM.