THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:02 PM

Default ultrasonic pest repeller

Hello all
Has anyone tried these? They are all over Amazon, $30 for 6 units. Plug into a wall outlet like a night light. They are stated to repel mice, spiders, bugs. Says it takes up to 4 weeks before they leave your house.
I am busy cleaning (rehabilitating) an old farmhouse that my father owns, he is now 91 and it has been severely neglected for too long. Mouse crap everywhere. I just retired and am spending a day per week up there with my kids trying to whip it back into shape.
Mice have had there way with it. All furniture, drapes, rugs bedding are now in a dumpster and the reek from the mice is starting to fade the more stench infested items I remove. I would like to keep the pricks out!

If someone is using these also wondering if it is ok for dogs to be around them.
Thanks

btw I would also put them in the barn/workshop up there. Was up there today and found a 6' fresh snake skin from a blacksnake. I wish we had more of those

if working for you what brand are you using?

Old 09-15-2022, 11:31 PM

Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Re...AFPL1TMXD&th=1

Old 09-15-2022, 11:41 PM

Here is a few pics of current status. All of the furniture in the living room end were bought off craigslist....total $900 for couches, chairs, tables, rug.
Kitchen end is still under construction....i built the dining table 25 years ago, other items my dad bought from estate sales maybe 50 years ago. Every other weekend of my childhood was spent here. We camped in tents for years, then when i was ten or so my dad and my uncles built the house. Me and my brothers were board holders and subfloor nailers
Back then we had no electric and an outhouse. great memories of nights with kerosene lanterns. added electric maybe 30 years ago. My dad added an addition, septic and a well 15 years ago and he and my mom spent alot of time there until she passed 3 years ago. The memories here are intense for him and me.
I am trying to give the place back to him. He runs the tractor around with a brush hog every time we go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	598739   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitch2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	598740  

Old 09-15-2022, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a couple of cats, they work on contact, no waiting for a month........

I also moved last year to an old farmhouse, the 4 cats we have, keep all the mice, squirrels. moles, etc under control. Before we moved here we lived in a subdivision that bordered farmland, and our cats kept the wildlife down to almost never seeing a mouse. I was just talking to my old neighbor a few weeks ago, and he told me he never realized how much good our cats did, until we moved. He said the squirrels and other rodents are encroaching on his home, and he is thinking about getting a cat.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 09-15-2022 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A while back I noticed that mice had begun to move into the Formula I'm working on(mouse poop all over and holes chewed in my welding blanket). I got some similar to this(sorry, I can't recall the brand). I bought them in Bomgaars, which is a farm and home type store. I also got some of the sticky traps just as a back up. I can't say for sure if the repellers are working or if the mice are just smart enough to steer clear of the traps. But, one way or the other I haven't caught any more mice.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:51 PM

i like cats...we have a couple. problem is we are only up to this place sporadically. once week right now but that could change to less when my focus moves back to a car.....many i have need attention. There is no heat except for the woodburners we fire up when are there through the winter....house is in mid missouri. i am sure the cats would survive and probably hang around but my wife would not be on board with leaving them there alone.
I'm considering adding a split system this fall though. Missouri heat/humidity is rough mid summer.

i would love it if the ultrasonic deals worked well.

Old 09-16-2022, 04:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have had mole and mice issues at my place. Tried the ultrasonic mole devices that were solar powered from Amazon. Put out 16 of them. They did nothing at all. Followed the instructions to a T. One morning the moles had dug up several ultrasonic units and they were just laying in the yard. Then tried the poison worms on the moles. That killed them in about 3-4 days. But they came back about 6 months later. Have to stay on top of them. For mice, I have good luck with sticky traps. I buy them 100 at a time and have 20-25 traps out all the time in 3 buildings. I catch about a dozen a year. All little gray field mice. Two times I have also caught small garden snakes. One with a mouse in its mouth in the same trap. Side benefit, the sticky traps fill up with all kinds of bugs. They are cheap. About 25 cents each on Amazon by the hundred.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 07:26 AM

I have been using a product called botanical rodent repellent available on amazon. No mice in the barn for over a year!

Old 09-16-2022, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did not have success with the ultrasonic device.

Mine had mouse poop on top of it, I assume in a show of defiance.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 07:46 AM
Senior Chief

I'm with Mike Garblik on this one 100%. Same experience. And cats are a mixed bag - yeah they get rid of rodents, but their piss is another issue to deal with. Even fixed cats stink like hell. We seem to accumulate a "dumped" cat out here in the country about every 5 or more years. They don't like staying in the house, and the mouse piss in the garage really reeks. I had one defiant little bastard that would, with me watching, stand NEXT to his litter box and piss on the garage wall just to spite me. And don't let little kids name the cat, Jehovah Lopez Smellybutt is a name that makes the receptionist at the vet's office chuckle pretty good.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My experience in a rural, residential environment (not a farm, not a lot of out buildings) has been that a campaign of trapping (killing type) where you are getting one every few days for a few weeks seems to deplete the population to an unsustainable level. Then just keep a few traps out all the time to catch the new comers and the population will stay very low.
I pretty much NEVER see them in my shop below the house (typical three sides under ground, one wall ground level where the garage doors are) ... which has me a bit worried ... seems like my work space is so toxic that the mice don't like it

Old 09-16-2022, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Moth Balls work to repel existing mice and rats from barns, sheds, attics and basements.

Intrigued by the 5-gallon bucket traps on youtube.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:31 AM

I have sticky traps next to every door in my garage, house garage, barn, and mini barn.
Like has been said they catch Everything!!!!
I also have the electric plug ins but can't really say if the work.
I also make my wife keep cotton balls at all the doors in my garage with peppermint oil on them, supposedly spiders don't like the smell!
I don't really like cats, so I have to go this route.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting timing. I just saw this Mouseblocker system in an ad from California Car Cover and wondered if it works/is overkill. I've seen their other products, but not this.

https://www.calcarcover.com/product/mouseblocker-1000-mb51599/8121

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 09-16-2022, 10:14 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Moth Balls work to repel existing mice and rats from barns, sheds, attics and basements.

Intrigued by the 5-gallon bucket traps on youtube.
Half,

I have used the 5-gallon bucket of water and a spinning coffee can (plastic can) and peanut butter with ramps I got my share out in the yard but, the peanut butter called the ants to it and the water evaporated I guess if you stay on top of it like a garage setting it's cheap and it works!

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Moshier For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, I'm not a cat person either, my wife is the cat person. I always had dogs growing up, and we still do have a pound adopted dog, but she doesn't kill mice...LOL

I have learned that the cats are very useful in keeping the rodent population down though, and the ones we have all have very different personalities, similar to people traits.

Also being out in the outlying farm community, we have feral cats that also live by their hunting abilities, so they are in and around our spread periodically. They seem to keep their distance though, same as most wild animals do. If you approach one they just hop into the woods or go down along the creek that abuts our backyard. They don't seem to have a real long lifespan, but as they go away, there are others that replace them, just as nature intends it.

Most people I have talked to about the sonic pest repellants, didn't believe that they worked well, if at all. I guess that's why we have cats.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Ultrasonic speaker worked for me for a very short time. Then the mice ate the cord off. Lol

Old 09-16-2022, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The ONLY thing that I have found that works on mice is One Bite. The problem is you have to keep it away from dogs, because they WILL eat it. There is no antidote for it. When I use it at the farm or here at home, I put the One Bite into a sealed container with a hole big enough for the mice to able to “hit” the block.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-16-2022, 08:12 PM

Our home and garage is in the mountains,/woods mice population seems to be plentiful, especially as the weather cools down. Our snake tenants have slowed down, I am guessing that's a good thing, there food source has been reduced for now, but hopefully it will not return! I use good old snap traps, sticky traps and this spring set up a couple of the Mouse blocker small sonic/flashing light units, about $100 each, they are available in 110 and 12volt. The 12 volt one I received stunk, sent it back for another 110 unit ( mounted on the ceiling of the garage /shop) so far so good. I think the only thing to really keep the population down is to be relentless just as I fight the Carpenter bees that tear a wooden house apart! And I thought moving to the mountains would be relaxing!

Old 09-16-2022, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used the ones Lowes sells for a few years.110V and they have worked well at my home and my condo up in the Sierras.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post: