THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-18-2024, 02:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Since I travel frequently for work I have always made sure my wife is in a relatively low mile reliable car. When we can afford it I make sure it’s something fun.

Something we haven’t addressed is the fact that I don’t have one or two old Pontiacs- I have several and I have them everywhere. Our garage holds 12 and it is packed with old cars, I have 6 additional storage units and cars at three different shops. I haven’t event started on what is stored at my dads!

Now, these aren’t parts cars they are all running driving mostly shiny cars. In fact her Hellcat was probably stolen because I didn’t have a spot for it in the garage. And it’s the most or second most valuable car we have (had?). I have everything I have wanted… I’m not going to make her drive a 20 year old daewoo so I can buy another old car.

I work a lot… A LOT and if she wants a Lexus I will find a way to get her a Lexus. I am just looking for ideas of what to buy. I would have no problem with a 2003 GTP but just because I am okay with that doesn’t mean I’m going to force her to be okay with it.

For the record- she would absolutely be okay with it. I’m just not going to ask her to do it.

Drove a 2022 RC-F today and really, really liked it except the infotainment screen was definitely from 2015. And then the dealer started their wait you out BS so we left. But we decided we do like the RC-F but would prefer a 40k 2016 over a 60k 2022 because they are basically the same car with the same options.

Drove a CT5 V also- very nice inside, actually a very nice car all around but unless you get the Blackwing the V package is pretty much just a trim level - 360 hp in 5500 lb car so it drives nice but definitely did not need a ‘track mode’

I think we are off German cars. The M2, M4 look great, but they are very expensive and have no warranty left in our price range. If we wanted a base 3 or 4 series we could get it but they just don’t look exciting.

I will be in Dallas this week so I will see what’s available there. If nothing else this has been a solid education on what is out there.

It’s funny, it’s very obvious all of the styling and marketing dollars went to the electric cars- honestly most of them look amazing. You can tell that most manufacturers haven’t been focusing on their ice vehicles for the past few years.

We aren’t interested in another Dodge- but for anyone looking they are discounting 2023 Challengers and Chargers with the 5.7. You can get a Challenger RT with a Shaker hood, stripes and leather interior for 43k new. That is a lot of car for that price and the last year they will be made. Just FYI.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Drove a CT5 V also- very nice inside, actually a very nice car all around but unless you get the Blackwing the V package is pretty much just a trim level - 360 hp in 5500 lb car so it drives nice but definitely did not need a ‘track mode’
The CT5 V is not a V8, but it also doesn't weigh 5500 pounds. It's under 4,000 pounds - a lot lighter than your previous Dodge.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Really? The car felt huge and heavy. I knew it had the twin turbo 6 in it. I thought the car was nicer than I expected.

Old 02-18-2024, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post
Old mechanic's saying,
"If you can't afford a new one,you can't afford to repair a used one."
I always flagged more flat rate hours working on euro cars than American.
I started wrenching in the 70's./

There's no way I'd daily any classic car today.
It's basically a death wish with no modern crash technology.
There is nothing wrong with driving a classic today. After all, there is this concept called "defensive" driving and if more people employed that concept there would be far fewer crashes and injuries. If the price of gas was still 1.50/gal, I'd be driving mine every day. Yes, I know the hazards are greater today because of the mindsets of younger, (and many older) drivers who lack safe driving techniques and common courtesy.

But all this new "safety" bs that cars are saddled with is more of an annoyance and expensive waste than lives that it will save.

I still daily drive my 2004 GTO that I bought new 20 years ago. No airbag has ever deployed nor has it drifted into the oncoming lane. Yes it has endured some minor scrapes and bruises like the VAST majority of the "new" cars equipped with all the expensive "safety" devices. People get maimed or killed in serious vehicle impacts regardless of the safety equipment they possess or lack.

I believe that more emphasis should be placed on who is allowed to drive, not what equipment should be required on cars.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
But all this new "safety" bs that cars are saddled with is more of an annoyance and expensive waste than lives that it will save.
BS statement,just google the "Highway safety stats" comparing old to new.
Brother is a retired LEO say's it's unbelievable what people survive in crashes nowadays due to the safety equipment.
I don't consider a vehicle a "Classic" unless it's 1980 or older.
I daily a 1997 328I BMW, it has most of the safety equipment of today's vehicles.

Old 02-19-2024, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Really? The car felt huge and heavy. I knew it had the twin turbo 6 in it. I thought the car was nicer than I expected.
I haven't driven a CT5.

I own a CT4 sport with the 2.0L. that's over 500 pounds lighter then the CT5-V.

The CT4 - V has the 2.7L twin turbo and is only 150 pounds heavier but has 325 HP.

The thing I like about my CT4 and my previous ATS is the fact that they handle so well.

The CT5 is about 6.5" longer and has a 7" longer wheelbase.

If the CT5 - V felt huge and heavy to you, try a CT4 -V. It's only 35 less HP, but maybe being over 350 pound lighter might increase your satisfaction with it.

Be forewarned, the back seat access is tight, if you frequently have passengers back there.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:34 AM

Daily driver has to be rock solid reliable, so a used euro would be the last thing on my list.

For that money, I'd go with a Lexus GS-F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbuQ_xrUZfY

Old 02-21-2024, 12:14 PM
Senior Chief

We bought a 2024 Cadillac CT5 (not a "V') for my wife a couple months ago. So far, we both love it. 3.0L twin turbo V6. It's great for her. Not a race car, but will get up and move quickly if you want it to. Very comfortable and fun to drive. MSRP was $61400. We got it for 57K with the incentives offered by GM.

I was not looking for a new car. Went to a Cadillac dealer to look at a used 2019 Escalade with 47000 miles for $49500. Nice, but needed tires, a few dents repaired, and an extensive cleaning inside and out. The CT5 was on the showroom floor. Wow. Beautiful. I didn't even look at the window sticker. I figured it was probably $80K.
We went home and gave the Escalade some thought over the weekend. Went back to look at the Escalade again and see if we could get the price down. Nope. While haggling in the showroom, sat in the CT5 just for fun. Really liked it. I love the front end, back end, interior, wheels, the color, etc. The salesman said "You could probably get this for around 57". I said, "What???"

I'm glad we got it. Brand new with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty vs. a used 2019 with 47000 miles that needed money put into it. And I don't have to work on it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231209_111754.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	629094   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231209_111839.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	629095   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231209_111813.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	629096   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231209_111923.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	629097  

Old 02-21-2024, 12:26 PM

Tough choice, do you go for exciting and fun or dependable..... You either get one or the other these days.... except if you are easily excited and buy a Miata. Probably not a good replacement for a Hellcat.

I recently bought a 2014 BMW Z4, not very useful but quite fun, 3.5 straight 6 with twin turbos and a DCT transmission, I use that outside of winter as a daily driver. Downsides is its going to be a huge expensive pain in the arse probably sooner rather than later. 300C AWD as my winter beater.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarl View Post

I recently bought a 2014 BMW Z4, not very useful but quite fun, 3.5 straight 6 with twin turbos and a DCT transmission,
If it has low mileage, it might be more reliable than you are expecting.

FYI the N55 engine in your car is 3.0 litres with a twin scroll single turbo. The old N54 engine in the 2010 and earlier cars was a true twin turbo.

If you want more fun an 80hp bump is pretty easy and cheap.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Geez no, i'd modify/build what i want, and spend less than those large prices.

As for my daily drivers: 3 diff 95 Towncars. The rainy day unit, the nice day unit, and out to elegant events Towncar. MMuch contentedness.
I'm also a Town Car fan, owned 3 or 4 of them, GREAT cars, 20 plus MPG and the 4.6 gives you no trouble ever, I'm actually searching FB for another one.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutx2 View Post
and the 4.6 gives you no trouble eve
Ehhh, they're pretty good but still have issues.

1996 and up have a plastic intake manifold that WILL fail. Some of the later models 2000's and up had spark plugs blowing out of the engine, timing chain issues (that were NOT a problem from the 1991-1997 models) axle problems that will prematurely fail, fuel pumps that die around 100K miles (again not a problem on the older models). Blend door actuators like to die which is a dash puller. Heater cores die if regular coolant changes are not kept right on time using distilled water, air bag issues that WILL eventually fail. Cheap plastics that break easily. The last couple of generations ride rougher than full size truck. The list keeps going but I still love my 1995 Town Car even though it's not nearly as durable/reliable as my Japanese vehicles.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

My wife is on her 3rd Camaro. She daily drives a 2017 2SS, automatic. It has a LT1 with 455hp. She absolutely loves it. She used to have a 2010 Camaro 2LT V6 and then a 2013 Camaro 2SS 400 hp LS3. The 6th gen car is head and shoulders above the 5th gen. She smiles every time she starts it up and it barks to life. It just turned 20,000 miles. It has a sunroof, which is a must have for her. We paid $40,000 for it 2 years ago, at the height of the used car price increase, with only 12,000 miles on it and show room new. It has every option, the only thing better would be a ZL1, maybe next car.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
Most Trans Am's of that era would go a couple hundred thousand miles pretty easy if the were somewhat maintained. Out here in California cars last forever if maintained.

Not everyone is good with driving a little sh!tbox. Some people work hard.. really hard so they don't have to. I daily drive a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with a 6.2 that I bought new and paid cash for.... and it likes gas...,., especially the way I drive.... I could care less about fuel economy. I work hard so that I can drive what I want and not care about fuel economy. My business partner is a little mizer and drives a 2005 Civic Hybrid with cooked paint and 180,000 miles. Personally... I wouldn't drive that sh!tbox around the block... but he likes it because it was cheap and gets 45mpg even though he could afford something much better. Whats the point of working hard and making money if you are just going to stare at your account balance?
I get that you should splurge if you have the disposable income, but I'm going to assume there is a generational gap between the two of us (maybe not, maybe you're aorund my age - I'm 36). My generation is very far behind on financial freedom (I'm a millenial), and today's affordability crisis kind of instills a sense of frugality among my agegroup. We are saddled with inflated school debt averaging $35,000 since that's what we were taught in gradeschool to do in order to achieve success (as we put on clown makeup); we are forced to rent since home ownership has been sequestered among the affluent almost exclusively; and the rents to which we are forced to adhere have skyrocketed this past couple years and leave very little additional room in your average budget to pay for utilities, groceries, or god forbid save money. I made 100k last year for the first time in my life and that used to be an aspirational income, but it doesn't really get you far, anymore. Our dollar doesn't bring us nearly as far as previous generation's, and so a sense of practicality takes precedent over splurging. I already splurged on my Trans Am back in 2020 when things were way different (it's amazing how much has changed in just a few years). I don't need to splurge on anything else, and if I have no practical application for a truck, then I'm not going to spend the extra money on something I don't need; especially when my agegroup feels disenfranchised from even buying a damn home.

And we do work hard. Very hard. lol The only reason I made 100k last year was because I put in around 200 hours of OT in the last 3 months of the year, and as an ER nurse getting berated and screamed at by drunk patients; having to explain to families that their loved one is circling the drain because the physician is too shy to do it themselves; and shortening my lifespan by willingly working night shift just for the extra $6.00/hr differential, I like to think I earn my keep and that I deserve to splurge as well... but I can't. At least not since a couple years ago when inflation spiraled out of control while wages, while they did indeed go up, still remain proportionately stagnant.

But I suppose for the same reasons listed above, taking my advice from my previous post may fall on deaf ears for a lot of the folks here who have the disposable income to drive something fun daily. Like I said, it's a generational difference in idealogy. I'll be the first to admit that a lot of my generation is very idiotic with their spending habits like spending thousands on luxury fashion that they show off in their TikToks and Instagram feeds, or even blowing 70k on an Audi when they bring home that same amount every year; but the majority of suffrage is in silence.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 02-22-2024 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I get that you should splurge if you have the disposable income, but I'm going to assume there is a generational gap between the two of us (maybe not, maybe you're aorund my age - I'm 36). My generation is very far behind on financial freedom (I'm a millenial), and today's affordability crisis kind of instills a sense of frugality among my agegroup. We are saddled with inflated school debt averaging $35,000 since that's what we were taught in gradeschool to do in order to achieve success (as we put on clown makeup); we are forced to rent since home ownership has been sequestered among the affluent almost exclusively; and the rents to which we are forced to adhere have skyrocketed this past couple years and leave very little additional room in your average budget to pay for utilities, groceries, or god forbid save money. I made 100k last year for the first time in my life and that used to be an aspirational income, but it doesn't really get you far, anymore. Our dollar doesn't bring us nearly as far as previous generation's, and so a sense of practicality takes precedent over splurging. I already splurged on my Trans Am back in 2020 when things were way different (it's amazing how much has changed in just a few years). I don't need to splurge on anything else, and if I have no practical application for a truck, then I'm not going to spend the extra money on something I don't need; especially when my agegroup feels disenfranchised from even buying a damn home.

And we do work hard. Very hard. lol The only reason I made 100k last year was because I put in around 200 hours of OT in the last 3 months of the year, and as an ER nurse getting berated and screamed at by drunk patients; having to explain to families that their loved one is circling the drain because the physician is too shy to do it themselves; and shortening my lifespan by willingly working night shift just for the extra $6.00/hr differential, I like to think I earn my keep and that I deserve to splurge as well... but I can't. At least not since a couple years ago when inflation spiraled out of control while wages, while they did indeed go up, still remain proportionately stagnant.

But I suppose for the same reasons listed above, taking my advice from my previous post may fall on deaf ears for a lot of the folks here who have the disposable income to drive something fun daily. Like I said, it's a generational difference in idealogy. I'll be the first to admit that a lot of my generation is very idiotic with their spending habits like spending thousands on luxury fashion that they show off in their TikToks and Instagram feeds, or even blowing 70k on an Audi when they bring home that same amount every year; but the majority of suffrage is in silence.

I'm 55.. almost 56. When I was close to your age(34/35/36) I was working at Firestone in Antioch CA as a service manager making about 46k a year. I was barely getting by (California bay area is expensive). Renting an old house for $1200 a month and my daily driver was a 76 chevy C10. When I was 36 I quit my job and started flipping cars out of my rented house. I had always flipped cars on the side as a hobby and for extra money. That snowballed and was able to open a used car lot a couple years later in the California central valley which is a lot cheaper place to live. I didn't buy my first house until I was 51... when I did .. I paid cash for it. My goal was to always be debt free. I hate owing anybody anything.

Point is... hard work pays off and it'll all come in due time. As time goes on... it is getting harder and harder for the average guy to get ahead. It took me a long time... and never thought I would.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We finally made a decision!!!

I was in Dallas for work this week and drove a 23 Supra with 6000 miles on it. I loved it. Fast, fun…. Just no back seat. But I really liked it so I went to buy it. It was $53,900… but $64,500 out the door! After the LoJack, 900 for tint that was already on the car, extended warranty, wheel warranty, door ding warranty…. I argued and got them to 61k but that was still like 3k more than they advertised the car plus TT&L. They were requiring me to buy the extended warranty and tire/door ding insurance. So I decided to let them enjoy the car.

Btw, later found out this is against TX state law,you can’t require a customer to buy anything that isn’t listed on the addendum sticker.

So there is a 12,000 mile Supra in silver right by the house. It’s an Autonation dealer so again, no negotiations. We drive the Supra and just didn’t fall in love. It had just been traded in and hadn’t been detailed. Spilled coffee, not too clean, brakes squeaked a little which was weird so we passed on it.

The same dealer had a red 2023 M340i that had just been traded in with 19,000 miles. The red helps but honestly it’s just not that exciting looking of a car. We weren’t going to drive it but did since we were there. Now this car looked new inside and again had not been detailed yet. Getting into this car was like stepping into the future compared to everything else we were looking at. It was extremely comfortable, not super fast but very quick (they say 12.3 in the quarter) and it drove amazing. Being it was higher miles the price was a relatively reasonable 52,400 considering all of the options it has. They didn’t try to upsell us on any warranties (I asked about them) and agreed to replace the brakes, tires and recondition the rims so they are blacking them out. To build the same car on the website it comes out to almost 68k so I feel like a decent amount of depreciation was reflected.

We negotiated on the warranty and it came out to about 3k for coverage to 100k which made sense to me.

All in all I’m happy with it. We should get it on Tuesday/Wednesday. It’s red with blacked out trim, sunroof, upgraded suspension, upgraded interior trim, etc.

Old 02-25-2024, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a review motor trend did , on a Red one.
Sounds like they really like the car they tested.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/

Who does the service on the extended warranty ?
BMW or AutoNation ?
Would 2023 still be under factory warranty after its traded / resold by non-BMW dealer ?

Old 02-25-2024, 11:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nuclear, I’m 48 and found that around turning 40 money started to work out more. I agree millennials and Gen Z are in a tough spot. I have one daughter in college and another one going in soon so I’m well aware of the financial challenges. Inflation has hurt a lot of people, rent, houses food…. It’s a mess.

Old 02-25-2024, 11:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It is still under factory warranty for another two years. I bought an extended warranty that can go anywhere. Once the factory warranty is up I will have a $250 deductible number to bumper for 6 years from last weekend to 100k miles.

I read that review and they really nail it. Again it’s not the muscle car we are used to but it should be fun for a while. At least I hope so!

Old 02-25-2024, 11:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

4birds- I love the blue caddy- looks great!