Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-07-2024, 08:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Engine rebuild/ startup

In the near future I’ll start the rebuild of the engine from my 66 GTO. This will be my fourth engine rebuild, but the last one was 12 years ago, so I don’t do this often enough for the process to be second nature. I rely on my factory shop manuals to guide me through the process and I recently bought Rocky Rotella’s book on rebuilding Pontiac V8 engines so I’m sure I can succeed again. There are a couple of issues that I’d appreciate some input on.
There are steps in the short block assembly process where the crank needs to be rotated. It would seem this would deplete the assembly lube on the bearings. Why is this not a problem?

After the engine assembly is complete, how long is it safe to wait to do the first start up? I’m concerned about all the prelube draining off over time.

Old 01-07-2024, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you use the correct Assembly lube…rotating the crank is not an issue. How long can it sit before its fired up…best answer I can give you is not years. usually the whole process is set up to be Assembled and engine installed and fire up with in 2-3 weeks to be fired up.

Old 01-07-2024, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I built a 400 between Christmas and new years of 2022. The car went to paint 10-8-22, I just got the car back right before Christmas. I put the engine in the car in may, and I will break it in in about two weeks. I'm not worried in the least. Three years ago I rebuilt my 455 in my 69. I had to change the pushrod cover (long story) when I did it had maybe 1000 miles on it. I still could see remnants of assembly lube on the lifters and cam. I don't put it on where the bearings ride so it was like I missed and globbed some in front of the bearing.

Old 01-07-2024, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Assembled short sat on engine stand, for over 3 months waiting for my new heads. No issues

Old 01-08-2024, 03:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had a engine put together with mostly CRC Assembly lube. A thin black grease.
The engine sat for 4 years and it fire-rd right up when I got around to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 03:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually my short block sat for a good 8 months before it actually got finished and fired up. No issues

Old 01-08-2024, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M. Hunt View Post
There are steps in the short block assembly process where the crank needs to be rotated. It would seem this would deplete the assembly lube on the bearings. Why is this not a problem?
If it were rotated thousands of cycles it may be a different situation, but the limited number of times you'll be turning the engine over by hand prior to startup won't be enough to displace the lube.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My First build sat for 5yrs! But it ended up being fine. Built 2005, cam breakin 2010.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:30 AM

I never worry how long an engine sets after assembly. But before I fire an engine for the first time I always use a dummy distributor (remove the gear) to pump oil through the engine. I also bar the engine over 90 deg. at a time to fill all the lifters. I also did this after rebuilding 3406 Cats and 855 Cummins diesels. I would feed 5 gallons of oil through the oil sender port. Never had an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1950Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950Mercury View Post
I never worry how long an engine sets after assembly. But before I fire an engine for the first time I always use a dummy distributor (remove the gear) to pump oil through the engine. I also bar the engine over 90 deg. at a time to fill all the lifters. I also did this after rebuilding 3406 Cats and 855 Cummins diesels. I would feed 5 gallons of oil through the oil sender port. Never had an issue.
Agree! i forgot to mention I did prime the pump and put a little lube in the cyclinders before my 5yr start.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I have had a engine put together with mostly CRC Assembly lube. A thin black grease.
The engine sat for 4 years and it fire-rd right up when I got around to it.
Yep. I used the same lube. Mine sat for 6 yrs. or so. Built a Buick 455 for a co worker while mine sat on the stand. Think Pontiacs are high dollar? No problems. Roller cam and all. Quiet, good oil pressure, and revs to 6400.