Old 10-01-2019, 02:49 PM

Default Need a part - for a 3D printer

My son has access to a 3D printer, and is looking for projects. As it happens, I need a couple of plastic parts, and he has agreed to try and recreate them. Except I don't have any examples for him to measure, so I'm hoping someone can provide pictures.

Of course, I don't know what the part is called. It's for a 1962 convertible. On the inside, next to the back seat, above the arm rest, there is a metal cover right below the window. The cover is painted the same color as the interior, and has a piece of chrome on it. It is supposed to have a piece of plastic on the edge. That's the piece I need: a piece of plastic, roughly 3 inches long, that slots onto the end of a piece of interior trim. Actually, I need two. I assume they're mirror images of each other, which my son thinks won't be a problem.

But for my mad scientist to get started, I at least need a picture of one. A sample would be good, but isn't required. So: can anyone find this part, put it on 1/4 in graph paper, and take some pictures? I'll be happy to share the "model" once it is completed, for anyone else with a budding engineer in the family.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:09 PM

The part is called windlace end caps. The Early Nova's are close and can be modified to fit.

https://restorationpartssource.com/s...r-details.html

Old 10-02-2019, 10:37 PM

have a descent pair in Oregon could send . Norm

Old 10-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We talked about you on the Little Indians officers conference call last night. We were looking for someone who had a set you could use as a pattern. Looks like you found someone already. Note there is a right and a left one. If you can make a set that fits, store that program. If it is successful please consider making more. 50 year old plastic parts break. There should be a market if you can start producing them.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Inner quarter panel plastic end cap

These are the parts I think you are talking about. Used ones are always cracked and/or broken. When the cars were new they came molded in colors to match the interior. The Nova reproduction parts can be made to work although they are not an exact match. Some trimming and oval out of the 2 mounting holes; you can make those fit. The repo cap trim covers only come molded from black plastic so unless you have a black interior they would need to be painted to match.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans Quarter inner panel plastic endcap.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	521472   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans Quarter inner panel plastic endcap_PYs.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	521473