THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

View Poll Results: Red Air Cleaner Decal
I have one, I know it's not original, but I like it on my car 5 4.76%
I thought they were original so I bought one and installed it 1 0.95%
I hate them! They are for Buicks and should be peeled off whenever spotted 41 39.05%
It came on the car and I left it on there 5 4.76%
It's your car, do whatever you want 53 50.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I never said anything bad about 71's car. I've commented on a couple if his posts about the engine swap, and been positive the whole time. Seeing the decal made me curious as to how other PY people feel about them, not running down his car.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I had my numbers matching 389 with the correct air cleaner, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, points distributor, plug wires, etc - I didn't have a "389" sticker on the air cleaner. At that time my car was eligible, and competed in the "stock" class at POCI and GTOAA shows.

When I pulled the original engine and put a 30 over 455 under the hood I knew that my days of putting my car in the "stock" class were over.

So I went with aftermarket Pontiac valve covers, a later model chrome "Pontiac" air cleaner, HEI, aftermarket wires... And I proudly put on the red 455 decal.

I have had some thoughts of having a local shop make me a custom 462 sticker....

Old 05-19-2014, 07:22 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by limejudge69 View Post
I never said anything bad about 71's car. I've commented on a couple if his posts about the engine swap, and been positive the whole time. Seeing the decal made me curious as to how other PY people feel about them, not running down his car.
Not you lime judge. You simply pointed out that the sticker was not stock. I have no issue with that. I know that it's not a factory item but as I said there are several additions to my car that aren't factory.

The only real issue I have is with another member claiming that it looks stupid.

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone should make Pontiac specific air cleaner call outs. Base them off the 455 HO stickers. That would be way cooler than the Buick stickers.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought for sure these would "go away" as more people called them out as "wrong" on forums and even at shows, but instead they have become more common.

The level of Pontiac purists who subscribed to the highest level of originality (#s crowd) is in decline, and its a new "hobby" now.

Its more about what the owner likes, and driver cars....nothing wrong with that....I guess, though it is a little sad to see out of respect for the history of the great Pontiac line....

All thing hobby related "trend and cycle" as new people come in...this is just an example of one of the trends that has stuck.

I personally like "custom made" call outs on driver cars, better than a wrong make/model call out.....just my opinion, and to each their own.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The coolest air cleaner decal is the factory 455HO one! Beyond that, if a red callout feels good, great, do it! I mean it is something that takes 5 minutes to remove, so not like some hacked out rear wheel openings in factory 1/4 panels that ain't no easy fix, so who cares what people stick on their cars? I prefer to keep factory issue items on my car, although on some subtle items I cheat from other years (72 shoulder belt holders in my 71 as they look vastly better than 71 style exposed storage deal) (second example I like 72 honeycomb center caps with red arrow over 71 plain ones, so I run 72). To each their own.

I only see "travesty" on pedigree very rare cars that have historical value to veer from original, but again, if it is yers, paint it pink, who cares....

Old 05-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=bird72;5199559]The coolest air cleaner decal is the factory 455HO one!

I was thinking the same thing! I too have always liked the 455 HO decals. Gives the engine compartment a little "excitement" in my opinion.

I'm not offended by the non-stock decals, but not something I'd install on my '69 Judge restoration, simply because I've tried to make the car as original as possible.
However, to the casual observer, someone not into Pontiacs like we are here, would'nt know it wasnt stock on my car.

Like others have pointed out, its a easily reversible modification, so no biggie.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As for the sticker, I'm in the "It's your car" crowd. I don't mind them a bit, but don't have one on any of my cars. Personally the more popular something becomes, the less likely it is I'd do it. (It's why I've driven station wagons for the past 10+ years and am hoping they stay unpopular.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Every time I hear an alleged car guy talking about whether or not a part is "correct" I want to draw my pistol.
Don't know how old you are, but how many 60s GTOs (or any musclecars) do you think stayed "correct" or "factory" back in the day for as long as say, 6 months?
I have to agree with the above comment and add how I think it's funny that people forget that "factory original" and "correct" can be worlds apart.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Buy two lids. One with sticker and one without. Problem solved.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Stu View Post
I sometimes think that if I put on a 454 decal I would need to argue with fewer idiots who think that they know better than me how my car should be.....
Man your car is sharp looking!

I cant believe how much this decal bothers people. It has all the makings of a comedy...

" Tonight on TBS, watch grown men argue about a $10 decal on the air cleaner of an old car "

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 05-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Personally the more popular something becomes, the less likely it is I'd do it. (It's why I've driven station wagons for the past 10+ years and am hoping they stay unpopular.)

Well, as long as you drive Pontiacs, guess you`ll stay unpopular.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Senior Chief

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I certainly am NOT offended by ANYTHING anybody decides to do to their car. Mine's not finished yet, and I may offend some of you by doing to it what I want to do.

Just don't go through life being offended by something somebody else does to their own property ... life is too short.

What's next? A poll on "Should those without Hurst Wheels on their PHS be allowed to put them on their car"?

My ,
Ogre

Old 05-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had these on some cars over the years but as the Pontiac community has gotten tighter they have really gotten out of favor with purists. On the other hand I am sure that they help perception by the general public. So it all depends. My vote is do what's right for your car.

At the moment the air cleaner in my 69 is bare. But since I have a 455 in it with a dual-snorkel I guess a repro 455HO sticker would not be much of a stretch.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 05-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't use one simply because I'm not a sticker kinda guy....other than on my toolbox.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Should say 400-4 Big Block!

TOM
Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Forget stickers and put hardware on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	364024  

Old 05-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This has become a pissing match. No one is telling people what to do with their cars. I've never seen anyone argue over this. When I have been involved in this conversation, it's usually some guy telling me his car is 100% all original. Then I politely say "do you know that Air cleaner decal was not from the factory". That is when the owner usually called me names tells me I don't know I'm talking about and walks away pissed off with the story to come on the Internet and post.

I would never tell someone what to do with their car unless they ask me for an opinion first. Life is too short to care what others do. It's only when that opinion differs with others that you have this crap come up. The original poll was simply asking what people thought of them not whether they should be banned from the face of the earth. Grow the hell up.

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 70 GTO Race car has a Trans Am Shaker on it. I put one on Milt Schornacks 70 Judge race car we were building at the same time. I have endured negative comments for years. Doesn't bother me a bit. I'd rather have a shaker than a cowl hood. I think cowl hoods look stupid, that's my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

It's ironic someone said they got pissed when a comment was made that the sticker looked stupid... So it's only ok to think the stickers are fine? That makes sense? I think they look stupid too. Why should that matter to you?

We walked around Mecum laughing at cars for various reasons... At the top of the list was the Buick stickers placed prominently on otherwise bone stock restorations. That's the way it is... Why does it matter to anyone else what I think?

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 05-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you are going for a completely stock look and the car is worth a lot of money in stock form, you are the following...

A. Did not realize the sticker is not an original Pontiac badge.

B. Don't care much what others think.

C. Have made a concession in your mind.

D. Generally stupid.

Again, it's best to build cars or features/options that can be swapped out. That way you can be judged in a 100 point restoration, or drive the car as you see fit. Two air cleaner lids solves this debate.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
Why does it matter to anyone else what I think?
That would have been the best answer. I do like the "grow the hell up" comment though. Use it........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Closed Thread