Old 01-29-2021, 09:06 PM

Default Single flare on stainless steel brake lines?!?

Was watching a youTube video the other day about forming stainless steel lines since I'll be doing some of that and had some time to kill. One guy was saying you don't double flare stainless steel brake lines? I never heard of that. It would be easier, especially on 3/16, but I have double-flared 3/16.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 01-29-2021, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been doing single flair on steel brake line material for years for my carbs.I use the copper flair gaskets to help seal.No issues for the last 20 plus years.Tom

Old 01-30-2021, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Replaced all of my brake and fuel lines with stainless, double flared. I used a hydraulic flaring tool.

george

Old 01-30-2021, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In PA where they've had the first state safety inspection for years, it's illegal to single flare brake line. If it contributed to an accident, or a fatality the person that single flared the brake line would be potentially liable. Single flared lines are much more prone to cracking with work hardening, and having to stand up to 1500 PSI pressures. Lots of difference between fuel line pressures and brake line pressures.

With Nicopp available for use for brake systems that eliminates the problems with corrosion, I fail to see why anyone would be using stainless brake lines since it's so hard to bend, and flare, due to it's poor malleability problems. And as George has already stated, the S/S line is only going to be flared well with a hydraulic flaring tool (usually around $300), a hand operated mechanical tool will deform under the extreme pressure needed to double flare stainless tubing.

From a website called Brake Experts:

Quote:
So do brake lines need to be double flared? Double flares are necessary for brake lines due to the high pressures inflicted on them by the hydraulic system. Single flared lines are only appropriate for low-pressure lines due to their tendency to crack or leak. The brake system cannot afford to have a leak in the lines since this can cause serious injury or death if the brakes fail.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 01-30-2021 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a good engineering reason to use a double flare. The metal is folded over during the DF process. This provides more 'give' during the tightening of the joint & a better seal is produced. With a single flare, there is nothing to 'give' & more tightening torque could be required seal the joint; this could stress the gland nut, cause it to twist &/or fail now or later.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would love to see the you tube link. Just to see what other great video's he has to offer.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:15 PM

Here's the link to the video. As I suspected there would be no reason to use single flares on any brake line.

https://youtu.be/S9IIJytouPw