67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What did original Koni shocks look like on a 68 Bird?

My intention is for my 68 Bird to be a good representation of what a heavily optioned car looked like.

I bought a set of Koni Classic shocks for it as Koni shocks were a factory option. The issue I have is that I have never actually seen an original set of Koni shocks on a Bird. Were they red with the early Koni symbol (see link below) or were they a different color and logo? Koni used several other logos over the years including the triangle with a shock in the middle of it. For that matter, since it was a factory issued item, I'm not sure it even had a logo or was maybe painted a bland color like maybe gray.

http://www.stoddard.com/64470101400-nla.html

Thanks OJ

Old 04-22-2017, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From Accessorizer booklet:

Thought they were an orange'ish color?
(appears black in pic)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68-koni.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	452649  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for posting the picture. I also found a picture of an original Koni shock that was supposedly on a 69 bird. Looks just like the photo you posted (of course very worn). It was orangeish red, which is the same color as the Koni classics I purchased and has basically the same logo. Koni was pretty smart when they created the decal of the logo for the classic shocks. They made the logo the same as the early one, and then put the word "Classic" under it. The decal is supplied separately with each shock, so you can cut off the word "Classic" before pasting it on the shock. It also then allows you to position the decal however you want it to show up on your shock.

These should look nice on the underside of my black car. It will be interesting to see what it does for handling. .

OJ

Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 AM

Koni's couldn't hold.