THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Neighbor’s 07 Escalade

An elderly neighbor asked if I’d be interested in her 60,000 mile 2007 Escalade. Normally I wouldn’t consider it, but for two reasons I am. First, she asked me if I’d be willing to sell it for her if I decided to pass. I’ll do that for her, but I’d rather not have to deal with that. Second, I’ve been considering buying a new Suburban for family road trips next summer before the kids are off to college, but if an 07 Escalade is reliable, it might be much more cost-effective. Any issues with these that would make it a dealbreaker? I suspect she won’t ask for much if I decide to buy it from her, but I won’t give her less than what she could get for it on craigslist or autotrader. Any thoughts on what a fair price for a minty 07 Escalade would be?

Old 07-03-2020, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bluebook shows about 15K as a private seller in the Scottsdale area. Could be more if in excellent condition

https://www.kbb.com/cadillac/escalad...e|6494523|true

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 07-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

fantastic vehicles. I bought an 08 back then and we put 247k on it with no mechanical issues at all. got frustrated when all 4 outside door handles broke and then again. all under warranty. my buddy is a service manager at the local Cadillac dealer and they gave me a box of all 4 of them that had been improved with better reinforecement which did the trick and never broke again.he mentioned to me that I should put a new oil pump in it at around 200k which I did. we still have it just don't drive it much because we aren't hauling kids around anymore. I think you can get it cheaper than 15k , but I see them with 150k to 200k selling for 7k to 10k.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure about the Caddy but 2007 was a 'platform' change for the Tahoe/Yukon, and Suburban/YukonXL series. Usually not the best year to buy a vehicle when a lot of changes have been made. My brother has a 2007 Suburban and it has had more than its share of problems. If you go to carcomplaints.com you can look at the repair records for the Escalade and get a good idea of what to expect.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have(my wife)owned at least 4 Escalades.Never had a issue with one of them.She is in a 2019 now,she WONT drive anything else.Milage around town is not great in the 12 range the way she drives but does 20-21 on the highway.All of ours have been 4 WD as we have a place in the Sierras where we ski so drive through a lot of snow and ice.Great road car.Tom

Old 07-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
Normally I wouldn’t consider it, but for two reasons I am. First, she asked me if I’d be willing to sell it for her if I decided to pass. I’ll do that for her, but I’d rather not have to deal with that. Second, I’ve been considering buying a new Suburban for family road trips next summer before the kids are off to college, but if an 07 Escalade is reliable, it might be much more cost-effective. Any issues with these that would make it a dealbreaker? I suspect she won’t ask for much if I decide to buy it from her, but I won’t give her less than what she could get for it on craigslist or autotrader. Any thoughts on what a fair price for a minty 07 Escalade would be?
That little old lady is a closer! “Buy my truck, or I’ll make you sell it for me.” “Normally, I’d never consider it, but ok.”

Old 07-03-2020, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A very solid, reliable platform, mechanically. On a 13 year old GM product, the only issues to crop up will be stuff like power windows, automatic gadgets, etc. At 60k miles, for your buy-in price, it's a win. That was a very expensive vehicle when new. You can get it for 1/4 of the new price or less, and drive it for another 200,000 miles if you take care of it. Much more economically feasible than buying a new truck. The low miles, and history of being owned by an elderly person and not being abused adds a lot of value for future use.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Escalades are rock solid trucks. Super comfortable, reliable, and can be pretty fun to mess with.

If the price is right, I'd say go for it.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-03-2020, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what color combo is it?

Old 07-03-2020, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
what color combo is it?
White diamond exterior, cocoa/tan interior. Super clean, and would have happily handed her 15k for it...had it not been an EXT, the Avalanche-like pickup! Not interested in that...looks like I’ll be helping her sell it.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
White diamond exterior, cocoa/tan interior. Super clean, and would have happily handed her 15k for it...had it not been an EXT, the Avalanche-like pickup! Not interested in that...looks like I’ll be helping her sell it.
That changes the whole thing entirely. The Avalanche platform is good but to me, as a truck guy, they are a joke with the dust inhaling back window and the plastic cladding everywhere that warps and fades and looks like crap no matter what. I thought we were talking SUV here. Still, with it' condition and what it is, somebody will want it. It'll be an easy sell, IMO. They have good drivetrains and people know it.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
That changes the whole thing entirely. The Avalanche platform is good but to me, as a truck guy, they are a joke with the dust inhaling back window and the plastic cladding everywhere that warps and fades and looks like crap no matter what. I thought we were talking SUV here. Still, with it' condition and what it is, somebody will want it. It'll be an easy sell, IMO. They have good drivetrains and people know it.
The Avalanche version is much less desirable as mentioned, worth less $$ and somewhat worthless in general. I think of them as a giant Honda Ridgeline. But it is still a quality GM truck with a bunch of Cadillac do dads and gee gaws thrown on to justify a 25K boost in sticker price. On the plus side, when the Avalanche first came out and I went to the GM training center for new vehicle introductions, I was sure the mid gate deal would be a leaking, mechanical nightmare!! Turns out, they did a good job on the design considering what it does and how it works. Sounds like it won't fit your needs however. It will make a good vehicle for someone because it sounds like a well cared for cream puff. That means allot.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

I work with a few guys who love the Avalanche. They had the previous version, GMT 800 I think, and when it was announced the Avalanche was being discontinued, they all went and bought the last ones. I think those were the GMT 900, and most of them are still driving them. I don't recall any of them saying they had any problems. Most of them have over 100,000 miles on them now. I work for GM at the Warren Tech Center and the guys I work with work are in the Advanced Vehicle Integration group and we did a lot with those trucks.