Old 03-10-2021, 02:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
where are you seeing $1200 difference? summit shows the speedmasters are like $1900/pr assembled, E-heads are $1069ea, 2140/pr assembled, they are both 72cc round port heads. or am i missing something on that $1200??
Sm ran a. Lack Friday deal where they were $1140 for a pair.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracerx2813 View Post
Sm ran a. Lack Friday deal where they were $1140 for a pair.
oh ok, black friday as in last november?? now they are only a few hundred cheaper than E-heads... based on this thread im not seeing how the small savings are worth it compared to american cast & finished heads.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
oh ok, black friday as in last november?? now they are only a few hundred cheaper than E-heads... based on this thread im not seeing how the small savings are worth it compared to american cast & finished heads.
Nobody really responded to post 12 by pontbill. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...5&postcount=12

How old is the set of heads that Paul K has from edelbrock? If a brand new set of eddy heads is coming out of the box looking like what pontbill has seen, then saving a couple hundred on the SM heads is likely worth it.

If that's an oddity and new eddy heads are coming out of the box looking like what Paul K has, then for only a couple hundred bucks difference, the eddy is the clear winner here.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
At $1,900 I would spend the extra and get the E-heads. But at $1,140 I would take the SM and do the extra work to them.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Nobody really responded to post 12 by pontbill. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...5&postcount=12

How old is the set of heads that Paul K has from edelbrock? If a brand new set of eddy heads is coming out of the box looking like what pontbill has seen, then saving a couple hundred on the SM heads is likely worth it.

If that's an oddity and new eddy heads are coming out of the box looking like what Paul K has, then for only a couple hundred bucks difference, the eddy is the clear winner here.
i have 2 pair of current 72cc O-port E-heads & they both look like the ones paul pictured, very clean ports.

Quote:
At $1,900 I would spend the extra and get the E-heads. But at $1,140 I would take the SM and do the extra work to them.
i agree but a special sale for 1 day last year isnt available now so i was confused where the stated $1200 difference came from.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i got a set of SMs for 1140, you can have a lot of fun with these, for $1900, i am buying edelbrocks too. casting quality of the sm are very good in my opinion. I would not buy these to wide port or make a gazillion hp as there would be very little market in my opinon I consider them above stock replacement and cheaper than having your old heads refurbished. mine are going on a 400 budget build to see how they do. if they make 450 i will be pretty happy

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 03-10-2021, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Speedmasters also require that you provide pushrod guides and rocker studs - so another $100 or so to add to their cost.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 03-10-2021, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry I got the price from the link someone else posted on the flow comparison. It was right on the Chart.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the side by side pics and it's easy to see why the Speedmaster heads are less expensive. Doesn't mean they are bad, but to get them to the same level as the E heads you picture, more hand work is required. Not a big deal if you can do it yourself. If your paying someone, it eats into the savings. I forgot the E heads didn't use a radius cutter on the exhaust seats. That is one plus point for Speedmaster heads IMO. Then they lose that point by using a radius cutter on the intake? Surprised to see that. I see lots of detonation points on the Speedmaster heads that need attention, but again, not a big deal. If I was buying a pair of heads to take out of the box and throw on an engine, the E heads pictured are a nicer head. How much nicer? Worth the extra $. Perform the same or better on the dyno? The customers will make the final decisions. I think I could make a decent pair of heads out of the Speedmasters if the seats don't fall out. Thanks again for posting the pics. BTW, both exhaust seat cut placements are terrible IMO.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
The Speedmasters also require that you provide pushrod guides and rocker studs - so another $100 or so to add to their cost.
When I bought mine the guide plants and studs were on sale also. I guide plates were 12 dollars , so I got them. But I passed on the studs. I will probably just buy ARP studs (if I don’t have any laying around the shop).

Old 03-11-2021, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID67goat View Post
Paul,

Good info, thanks for sharing!

With as side by side comparison, it clearly looks like the Edelbrock head is more refined than the SpeedMaster based on your pictures..

Please keep us posted on any other findings as you set these heads up.
You're welcome, happy to share, something I've been curious about also.

Im working on a few sets of these all at different levels. I'll probably posts results as time allows.

Hey how did the fuel injection work out?

Old 03-11-2021, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Well, if there is not enough materiel under that seat to prevent them from falling out if one chooses to for big power, welding required.
Thats not good.
Those Gabby E heads I have, under the area under the seat opened up is huge.
The SM heads need some finish work. Those tests done by their manufacturer showing they flowed a bit more than the E heads, was that intake port blended ? You would think it had to be to outflow the E head.
If one is chasing "big power" the seats usually get replaced so it wouldn't be a big deal to weld up that area but you are correct about being better off not having to weld at all. These aren't bad heads but not a good candidate for chasing big power IMO.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Paul, first off thanks for posting this!

Are the Edelbrock’s intakes roll sanded from the factory or had you already work on them?

Do you have any plans to compare the flow of these heads?

Thanks, I will be flowing these plenty on the flow bench but no plans "as a comparison". That has already been done and I think the results seemed credible.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You're welcome. I will be flowing these plenty on the flow bench but no plans "as a comparison". That has already been done and I think the results seemed credible. Both these heads were "as is" complete assembled heads direct from the manufacturers.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontbil View Post
The first set of E heads I purchased when they first came out were great here is a pic of the new ones I bought last year when they went on sale and and was very disappointed
Not sure what your plans are but if you are a "hands on" type of hobbyist you can easily clean these up yourself and get quite the feeling of accomplishment. Or purchasing them at the sale price you could pay to have them gone through and still be money ahead... But I can understand your disappointment.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Paul,

I don't see anything that is a deal breaker there for me. Not that I'm shopping for heads or anything. But If I did I guess I would do some blending of the bowls. Seem like a couple hours of work to save $1200. However looking at the flow numbers it may not even be all that necessary.

How significant is the exhaust seat alignment and the intake seat placement?
Out of the box the seats shouldn't be a deal breaker. You are correct with a bit of work you can clean these up easily. Regardless of the flow numbers these heads need to be cleaned up, I would never run them "as is". Just because air is moving through them okay it doesn't mean fuel is going to like them.

Let's keep in mind that $1100 price is a "sale price". I believe $1900 is the retail price. Edelbrock has sold off there EFI Victors in the past at a fraction of the list price a few times... But you will be hard pressed finding one today at that sale price.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post

Both sets of heads are what you'd receive from the manufacturers today if they were in stock and ordered as complete assemblies.

I think Pontibill posted a picture of his Speedmaster heads that he was disappointed with and stated he was happy with the E's he had purchased at some point.... I think!

Old 03-11-2021, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
EHTTFMF!!!

Old 03-11-2021, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
i got a set of SMs for 1140, you can have a lot of fun with these, for $1900, i am buying edelbrocks too. casting quality of the sm are very good in my opinion. I would not buy these to wide port or make a gazillion hp as there would be very little market in my opinon I consider them above stock replacement and cheaper than having your old heads refurbished. mine are going on a 400 budget build to see how they do. if they make 450 i will be pretty happy
I agree but are you comparing an $1100 dollar pair of heads to a $2200 pair or a $1900 pair of heads to a $2200 pair?

Old 03-11-2021, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Love the side by side pics and it's easy to see why the Speedmaster heads are less expensive. Doesn't mean they are bad, but to get them to the same level as the E heads you picture, more hand work is required. Not a big deal if you can do it yourself. If your paying someone, it eats into the savings. I forgot the E heads didn't use a radius cutter on the exhaust seats. That is one plus point for Speedmaster heads IMO. Then they lose that point by using a radius cutter on the intake? Surprised to see that. I see lots of detonation points on the Speedmaster heads that need attention, but again, not a big deal. If I was buying a pair of heads to take out of the box and throw on an engine, the E heads pictured are a nicer head. How much nicer? Worth the extra $. Perform the same or better on the dyno? The customers will make the final decisions. I think I could make a decent pair of heads out of the Speedmasters if the seats don't fall out. Thanks again for posting the pics. BTW, both exhaust seat cut placements are terrible IMO.
Thanks Mike, where do you like putting the exhaust seat in relation to the valve face for a performance street car?

Old 03-11-2021, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

im comparing 1200 heads, with guide plates, to 2200 heads. if the only price was $1900 it would be ehttfmfr EVERYTIME

1972 Maverick under slow construction
The Following User Says Thank You to mysticmissle For This Useful Post: