Old 03-12-2021, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Carb physics

I was not good in science. Am sure that is faulting me now. Here is the setup. I have a long driveway to my garage. the last 100 feet is 45 degree grade down into the garage. I back my car into the garage. When its colder out, say 50 and below, i can back down the grade with no issue. When its warmer out, as i begin down the grade, the tripower starts acting up, sputtering, and usually the car conks out and I have to glide the rest of the way down the hill with no motor.

What would cause the carb to act this way, only when its warmer out?

Old 03-13-2021, 05:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Due to the laws of nature things expand when they heat up., and so does the volume of fuel in a Carbs fuel bowl .
This means that what is a good level of fuel cold when the car is at that revers angle is too much when the motor is hot and it discharges into the motor and floods it out.

The problem is trying to determine which carb is the one that has its fuel level set too high.

You will have to get the motor to act up and hopefully you can look down into each Carb and see which one looks wet in it’s throttle bores and then reset the float level in that carb..

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-13-2021, 05:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check for proper choke settings/action.

http://gtoaa.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Inclined to sputter:
In theory; a Fuel puddle in the Intake Plenum would tip fuel into a runner.
In practice; a float is set too high.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

45 degrees! I hope you never get any ice or snow on it and try to back into the garage!!

I've done quite a few 2JET carbs over the years and although I'm not able to test them on an engine I do use an electric pump to fill the bowl and make sure the N/S holds and there aren't any leaks. I did some "tilt" testing with them and you'd be surprised at how easily they start leaking from the boosters when tilted backwards.

I was perplexed by this the first time I tried it, and even took the carb apart to check the float height and it was right on the money.......FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 03-13-2021, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for feedback guys. I’ve messed around with these floats a lot over last couple years and believe they are pretty dialed in. Maybe I need to go a little on low side.

Yeah, its a heck of a grade cliff. Those carbs are way tilted. And my garage opening is not very wide -u can see in my profile pic. So I lose power steering going backwards down a hill and aiming for hole perhaps a foot and half wider than the car. Always interesting moment when warmer weather rolls in. Drives perfect on flat surface.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Due to the laws of nature things expand when they heat up., and so does the volume of fuel in a Carbs fuel bowl .
This means that what is a good level of fuel cold when the car is at that revers angle is too much when the motor is hot and it discharges into the motor and floods it out.

The problem is trying to determine which carb is the one that has its fuel level set too high.

You will have to get the motor to act up and hopefully you can look down into each Carb and see which one looks wet in it’s throttle bores and then reset the float level in that carb..
That is a terribly incorrect explanation/guess. I guess there wasn't anywhere else on the internet for you to copy and paste on this one. The fuel level is determined by a balance of the height of the float (and float buoyancy) vs. the needle and seat and the fuel pressure. Outside temperature should change this negligibly. As far as determining which carb it may be, are you serious? I'd say it has to be the center carb unless he's hammering it full throttle in reverse.

Back to the problem in question. I'd check the choke (as has already been suggested) or exhaust heat riser (if it's still in place and functional). Maybe have some vapor lock going on? Winter fuel blend if you live North?

Also. I think it may be the laws of physics instead of nature.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen 2-Jets where the seal between airhorn and floatbowl is lost due to owner using "gorilla arms" at the aircleaner wing nut, bending the airhorn out of shape.
When this happens fuel will spill over the edge of float bowl into the venturies at acceleration, more with nose up.

With a propane torch and a shop press you may put the airhorn back in shape.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

45 DEGREES? Are you sure it is not a 45 PERCENT GRADE? That would be a little under 25 degrees. Still real steep.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

45%!!!!
Percent of grades like used on Railroads , would since there rated at a 100 ft lenght would mean a rise of 45 ft in just that small 100 ft run!!

That’s massive !!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-13-2021, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That property may need fuel injected cars.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I may have to use that line with my wife if I’m ever in market for fuel injection

The Following User Says Thank You to MidnightAuto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
45%!!!!
Percent of grades like used on Railroads , would since there rated at a 100 ft lenght would mean a rise of 45 ft in just that small 100 ft run!!

That’s massive !!

I agree 45 PERCENT is massive, but the 45 DEGREES quoted from the first post is almost twice as steep.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

45% is 24.23° inclination equals 45 cm height per 100 cm distance.

45° angle is 100% inclination equals 100 cm height per 100 cm distance.

My vote is for 24.23° steepness.

Old 03-14-2021, 07:34 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
45% is 24.23° inclination equals 45 cm height per 100 cm distance.

45° angle is 100% inclination equals 100 cm height per 100 cm distance.

My vote is for 24.23° steepness.
Agree!

Most have seen the Movie "Bullitt" with Steve mcQueen and the 1968 Mustang.

The hills for example in San Francisco are some serious inclines.

Here is the order for the worst hills:

Here, according to the city Bureau of Engineering, are the steepest of the steep in descending order:

1. & 2. Filbert between Leavenworth and Hyde; 22nd Street between Church and Vicksburg, both 31.5 percent gradient.

3. Jones between Union and Filbert, 29 percent.

4. Duboce between Buena Vista and Alpine, 27.9 percent.

5. & 6. Jones between Green and Union; Webster between Vallejo and Broadway, both 26 percent.

7. & 8. Duboce between Divisadero and Alpine; Duboce between Castro and Divisadero, both 25 percent.

9. Jones between Pine and California, 24.8 percent.

10. Fillmore between Vallejo and Broadway, 24 percent.

Parking on the foregoing is, in most cases, perpendicular to the curb and sidewalks are stepped to give pedestrians a better footing. The intersections at their summits have been graded for 20 feet or so to prevent cars from scraping bottom at the crest.

The "Hill" at the Romeo Proving Ground

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/340303315563203538/

30% grade

45% grade, I do not think we are using the same terms

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We had a steep driveway when growing up: the 2-bbl and 4-bbls always did well, but we always drove up and drove down well. Rarely/never in reverse, because we could turn the car around at the bottom for the "running start"

Old 03-14-2021, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those carbs are way tilted. And my garage opening is not very wide -u can see in my profile pic. So I lose power steering going backwards down a hill and aiming for hole perhaps a foot and half wider than the car. Always interesting moment when warmer weather rolls in. Drives perfect on flat surface.

For sure you need to lined up pretty good if/when you loose power.

Speaking of garage stories a very dedicated Pontiac enthusiast asked me to build a TH400 for him about 20 years back, but he chose a local "builder" instead. Somehow during the process of firing it up and filling it with fluid it was in reverse and it backed off the jacks, out thru his garage door, across the alley and into the neighbors garage! I guess the "builder" had installed some type of reverse VB and somehow it was in reverse instead of neutral and he wasn't using a neutral safety switch........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 03-14-2021, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought that in road work the "percent grade" was a way of using the tangent of the slope angle as a way stating how steep it is. That would make a 45 degree angle a 100 percent grade. And if you ever had to drive one that steep you would be wishing for a carb off an old acrobatic airplane.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:55 PM

Default 🔰 I totally agree with JSchmitz...

Totally agree, the end carbs don’t have anything to do with idle, as they only dump gas. There’s no fuel ‘circuit’ on them. The center carb does everything that’s important.

To the original poster: I’ve experienced accelerator pump ‘sticking’ issues...although your not really ‘accelerating’. I remember mine used to ‘stumble’ when even the slightest gas/accelerator was applied. Check to see if the accelerator pump is binding...

I tend to agree that the choke may not be warming up the fuel. Have you tried installing an electronic choke ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
”As far as determining which carb it may be, are you serious? I'd say it has to be the center carb unless he's hammering it full throttle in reverse.”

389 .030 400ci Tri Power, .068 cam, HO manifolds, M-20 4 SPD, '70 12 Bolt 3:36 Chevrolet posi-traction, Montero Red, Parchment gut, VINTAGE AIR, PFDB, Bilsteins, F&R HD Sways, Hotchkis rear bags, Firestone Indy 500 shoes
What's the point of owning a muscle car if you can't scare yourself stupid from time to time
Old 03-14-2021, 03:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Go San Francisco

You haven't lived till you have driven some of those streets in SF. They are scary big time.If you are ever out here go try them in a rental car if you have not driven.

On the fuel starve/ or flood, I will tell you of a common problem when hot out.
Our 65 GTO with four barrel, would stall out on a steep grade. The problem turned out to be a cracked rubber fuel line in the back where the tank outlet hooks to the steel line going up front. Could not draw enough fuel to keep things going.

I have seen scary rubber fuel lines on the same car. These were lines I thought were fairly new. NOT! The rubber lines at the fuel pump and the lines to the fuel filter and carb were also badly cracked. Change you rubber hoses at least every 5 yrs and be safe.