THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:11 PM
Senior Chief

When I went back to college, in my 30's, I had a history class about Michigan's history. I live in Michigan. One of the papers I had to write was why my family came to this area. The Detroit area was a popular place to come to work as most of the auto companies and their suppliers were nearby and the military companies as well. It was interesting talking to my aunts, uncles and surviving grand parents. I enjoyed listening to the stories of why our families came to Michigan and the jobs they took. Many were in the auto industry. I am 4th generation GM. That is kind of neat .It spurred me to get my ancestry checked. I did 23 and Me and Ancestry.com. It was interesting to see the results. Some of the nationalities I have been told we were were not as high of a percentage as others. I am going through pictures now also. My uncle has traced my mothers side back to 1840 coming over from Ireland. He is really into genealogy. I will be talking to him more.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Late Dan Whitmore was pretty proud that his ancestor fought with George Washington and is depicted in the painting of George crossing the Delaware.
Cool stuff.!
Our Family goes back to the Mayflower.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 06-11-2021, 01:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is a cool thread- while personally I haven’t had much interest in my family’s early history this thread has motivated me to start documenting my life with my kids. As was said earlier- I have about 10,000 pics on my phone from trips with my daughters. I need to save them and document what trips were when. I think this is a new project for me this year. There may come a time where they want to know when they took which trips.

Interesting side note..... my wife’s red 2004 GTO with a custom shaker hood was in Car Craft (remember magazines!) readers rides- My name is Jeremy Blackhurst. I had someone pm me on a GTO website saying he not only had the same name as me, but the same red 2004 GTO as well!

Turns out, both my grandfather and his brother were Pontiac people from Pittsburgh. Our families were not close so while one son (my dad) ended up in TX (Air Force) the brothers son ended up in Philadelphia. Both sons named their kids Jeremy as a coincidence and both kept the Pontiac name going strong in the family. Didn’t really keep in touch although we probably should have. Coincidences like that don’t happen too often.

Old 06-11-2021, 04:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes you have to careful what you wish for....
An ex-employee of mine was pretty keen on Genealogy. She decided to have her DNA taken to try and find a wider range of her family. I'm not sure how all this works but if I have the general idea it all goes on a genealogy site and others can find you and "link" to you.
My employee was contacted by another lady claiming to be a blood relative. It turned out her father had an affair with the other ladies mother, a child was conceived and it has caused a LOT of trouble within my employee's family.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a lot of genealogy research on Dad’s family several years. I found cousins I didn’t know existed, but I also discovered I had ancestors that were black. Quite a shock for one of the whitest men you’ll ever meet. I did discover that Dad’s ancestors arrived in Williamsburg, VA in 1637 as indentured servants. They didn’t come “west” until after the Revolutionary War.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-11-2021, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got 23 and me tested. I found out I am a third Ashken.azi Jewish, had no idea (my parents knew it seems). They show you DNA relatives as they are tested. Lots of second, third, fourth cousin stuff of people I have no clue of. Recently they added three first cousins who I can't figure out (?). I am going to get tested on Ancestry also sometime and see what that brings up. (their databases don't exchange info and most people only test one or the other). My late sister tested there so they should show that.

We all relate back to something or someone historic, I wouldn't get too surprised on that one.

I also have .06 Native American. fun to find out stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to bird72 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2021, 11:14 AM
Senior Chief

I have a cousin who researched our family history (Fathers side) and did a really great job. My Grandfather immigrated from Europe when he was 18ish along with several brothers and sisters. He had a diary of sorts, written in German, stating the name of a small town that we always assumed was in Austria since that is what he told the family. Several cousins tried to find this town and were unsuccessful. One cousin hired a person in that region of Europe and was able to find the village in a neighboring country just a little across the Austrian border and through church records was able to trace the family back to the late 1700's.
My grandmother was also an immigrant and actually grew up not far from my grandfather but they didn't meet until the were both in the U.S.
My mother kept everything as well so we have a lot of pictures and other documents. It also helps that I grew up in a house that my grandfather bought in 1912 so there was no reason to get rid of a lot of that stuff.
One of my most prized possessions is my grandfather's U.S. citizenship Certificate dated 1903. It states that he renounced any allegiance to the King of Austria. The document hangs on the wall of my office close to the picture they had taken of the whole family in front of the farm house that he bought in 1912. My father is in that picture being held by my older aunt. He was two years old at the time.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
The Following User Says Thank You to FirebirdHank For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 01:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lots of interesting stuff in this thread

Old 06-13-2021, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Like to search

I love doing Genealogy. My brother and I have a family tree on Ancestry. I only did my mother's side of the family Belgium, Netherlands and America. My grandmother was born in Rotterdam in 1892. The Dutch and Belgians kept excellent baptism, birth, marriage and death records in both the churches and then civil records . The best part is I got over 5,000 documents for free using the Belgium State Archives and numerous Dutch Government and other free web sites to get the records. I made it to 1587 in Belgium and 1622 in Holland. Here is a baptism for one of them from Namur Belgium. This church listed the baptism records by First name instead of by year, made it a little harder to search.
Vincentius (Vincent) Le Berger, son of Joannes Le Berger and Joanna Materene. Vincent was baptized 10 August 1643 in Saint Loup Church, City of Namur Belgium. The church is still there and still in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vincentius Le Berger 10 August 1643 baptism record.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	568156  

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55

Old 06-15-2021, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
What is the drive to know the history?
One of the more interesting items to come out of my Mother's research:

Most school children are aware (or at least they used to be) of the First Battle of Manassas (a.k.a. the First Battle of Bull Run) which is recognized as the beginning of the War of the Rebellion (a.k.a. Civil War).

This battle began along a creek running into the Bull Run river, which ran along side the farm of a Wilmer McLean.

A few years later, General Lee surrendered to General Grant, in the Wilmer McLean farmhouse outside of Appomattix Court House, Virginia.

Wilmer McLean is a cousin, descended from an ancestor of mine who fought in the Revolutionary War.

So, personal history.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
The Dutch and Belgians kept excellent baptism, birth, marriage and death records in both the churches and then civil records.
Norway is that way as well. One of my cousins visited there, and was able to trace back on my mother's side hundreds of years. He also went to the family's ancestral farm, which is still in the hands of some distant cousins.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting genealogy stories.

One of the interesting military finds in my research is about my g-grandfathers who served in the military/militias during the Revolutionary War. I had hoped to locate one and be able to research his story. I found ten.

I also found four who served in the Union Army during the Civil War, three in infantry in numerous major battles and one in the Cavalry guarding the Western Frontier from Fort Laramie.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

"War of the Rebellion" is one side. The other is the "War of Northern Aggression"
Note that it was fought in Virginia.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found one of my relatives was imprisoned at Andersonville, Ga. Anybody who knows anything about the civil war should know what that means. He was one of the last to die, Diarrhea was the cause. I live 49 miles from the prison and will be buried there when I pass.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
I found one of my relatives was imprisoned at Andersonville, Ga. Anybody who knows anything about the civil war should know what that means. He was one of the last to die, Diarrhea was the cause. I live 49 miles from the prison and will be buried there when I pass.
I found that my GG Grandmother's brother also died at Andersonville on 8/27/1864. She also had another brother who died earlier in 1864, during his Civil War service. Her husband, my GG Grandfather also had a brother killed in 1862 at the Battle of Antietam. That GG Grandfather is the one that served on the Western Frontier during that war. He was discharged by the Fort Laramie doctor but I have hit a wall trying to determine the reason.

Last edited by JimFB400HO; 06-15-2021 at 10:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimFB400HO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 12:50 PM

I’ve been working on our lines for roughly 45 years. My father’s side has been here in SW Mississippi since 1797. Mom is German, but i have a good bit of information on her lines, along with pictures that wasn't destroyed in WW2.

I guess being so involved in it has been a bonus, as several of the family has given me all sorts of originals to include original land grant deeds from the 1830s, photos, etc. Last year i found a “new” cousin. She has some interest in the family, but i sent her photos, bible records, etc etc. i was passing thru Atlanta and stopped to meet her face to face. We talked a while, then she produced a bag with an item in it for me to look at. It was the pistol our 3rd great grandfather brought home from the Civil War. It went to out 2x great grandfather, then down thru his oldest’s daughter’s line (her line) to her. Her (the cousin i met) father was career Air Force, and her mother is Japanese. So the pistol has been around the world with him, to include being stationed in Japan, England, and 2 tours in Vietnam. She said it had to go with him to Vietnam, as they were not allowed to keep it since they lived off post.
After coping down the pistol’s story and several pictures she asked me if i had a safe place at home to keep guns. Told her yes, i have 2 fireproof gun safes. She said “Good, now take it home to Mississippi, where it belongs.” As far as we know, it left here around 1910 when her line moved for work and it is the first time it has been “home” since then.

Pistol is a Remington New Model Army made in April 1863, holster is Confederate. Somewhere Micajah Wilkinson took it off a Union soldier, as he was Confederate cavalry by that time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6CEEDD3-35B9-4611-824D-6DE261B8D3B6.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	568326   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CA497D2-C0CB-4FB7-A63D-17270E43644F.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	568327  

The Following User Says Thank You to vr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 01:20 PM

I'm interested in any feedback about the various sites like ancestry.com, do people find one to be the best? How about collaboration with people you don't know who are also working on the same "family tree" in some respect. I had a membership on ancestry.com a number of years ago and put some information from my most recent generations on my father's side into it, and I have access to some new information from my mother's side, curious as to how much is there. And do the sites allow you to add photographs and information on them? Thanks for any input!

Old 06-17-2021, 01:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found Ancestry.com the best. I used trees posted by others only for hints for my own research because too many of them are inaccurate or just copies of other's trees. I have not posted any of my tree for privacy reasons but would respond to others asking for information.

The Mormon site https://www.familysearch.org/en/ is good too and is free. They also have a library index with access to countless books related to family names.

https://www.findagrave.com/ and https://billiongraves.com/ and cemetery visits are good for finding graves.

And, of course, state and local government records, libraries, and historical and genealogical societies are excellent sources. You can find graves, wills, land records, court filings and cases, newspaper articles, church records, etc. I took several trips to geographic areas where many ancestors lived and spend days at the records sources.

I use Legacy Family Tree to assemble all my research, including documents and photos. It has a free basic version but I purchased the deluxe.

Last edited by JimFB400HO; 06-17-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:37 PM

Findagrave.com is interesting. Can trace through siblings and spouses for reference and dates.
Not sure how accurate.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFB400HO View Post
I found Ancestry.com the best. I used trees posted by others only for hints for my own research because too many of them are inaccurate or just copies of other's trees.

Some folks get in too large of a hurry, and don't fully check references.

And sometimes, logistics really can be a problem.

Example:

One of my ancestors was named John, and married a lady whose father was named William. John and his wife had 16 children. At the time, they resided in Kentucky. 12 of the children and their spouses, if married, traveled by wagon train to a county in Missouri. In the span 1840 through 1845, four of the sons had male children, each who was named John William for the grandparents.

Following this family was a definite challenge!

Mother found correspondence with others following the same line yielded far more accurate results than online databases. However, this observation from 15 years ago. Perhaps the online databases are more accurate today; but as Jim said, would still use these as hints for research rather than believing as gospel.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.