Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
Here's an update on progress. As you can see from the first photo, the grille situation has been...straightened out (thanks Paul).

I got to hear the engine run, and I'm very pleased--more aggressive and louder than the previous stock set-up, but not over-the-top. I wanted the engine to look fairly stock, but as shown in photo 2, spacers were needed to clear the roller rockers and poly nuts. Less noticeable than tall aftermarket covers.

Because I plan on driving it a lot, I went with a rear sway bar.

The top was supposed to go on this week, but the top installer noted several issues with the components that came with the kit (pad, well liner, window--not from our host BTW), and so the shop ordered a new top and kit (this time from our host).
Looking fantastic! If you're going for the factory look on the positraction tag, it should be installed (same bolt) with the lettering facing the differential cover, then folded back over the bolt so that the writing can be read.

Really nice thread! Good luck!

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
Looking fantastic! If you're going for the factory look on the positraction tag, it should be installed (same bolt) with the lettering facing the differential cover, then folded back over the bolt so that the writing can be read.

Really nice thread! Good luck!
Thank you for the kind words, and for the info re: the posi tag. I'm always looking for constructive suggestions--especially those that are so easy to take care of!

Attached is a photo taken the day the body came off the frame (Nov 2009), and you can see the posi tag at the 7 o'clock position. It just reminds me that these types of things were not something that people paid much attention to back in the day when these cars were just transportation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chassis from rear.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	232907  

Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gator, I've owned a bunch of these cars, and have never had one with the tag at 7 o clock. Always at 5 o'clock. I've never owned one from brand new, though.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default More progress....

Photo of the car with the new white top and restored HURST wheels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	White Top.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	233608  

Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
Photo of the car with the new white top and restored HURST wheels.
Jeff, it's really looking good!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The interior is now coming together. Photos of heat and noise barrier and rear seat area. I used Legendary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sound deadening.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	234171   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear seat.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	234172  

Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, I wish I was there to shake your hand, it is coming along beautifully. The stance is perfect, the HURST wheels...well, they are over the top (outstanding) and the color combination is stunning. You have certainly raised the bar. Please keep sharing the photos and details as you push forward. Hope all is well with you and the family, we are up to our waist in snow here. (-3 degree's this morning at 4:30am on my way to work). Take Care.

Tim john---

Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you very much for the compliments Tim, and also for all your assistance with the wheels. When I got them from you they looked great, but you provided the guidance that helped me make them look fantastic. The process you outlined was a lot of work, but you never once led me down the wrong path, and I couldn't be any happier with the outcome!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gator, that car is stunning. First word that came to mind when I saw the profile shot. Stunning. Well done.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Geeteeohguy, the guy who's restoring it should get all the credit though! The only thing I've done myself recently was change out the heater control head--and I even needed an assist with that....

Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Woot! Another Linden Green Goat coming back to life. Looks very nice, can't wait to see the final product fully decked out with all the chrome.
Gator, by the way, what brand paint did your shop use? Did you/they match the original color with paint scanning or did they just use a code?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtone View Post
Woot! Another Linden Green Goat coming back to life. Looks very nice, can't wait to see the final product fully decked out with all the chrome.
Gator, by the way, what brand paint did your shop use? Did you/they match the original color with paint scanning or did they just use a code?
Thanks Squid. He used a code/formula, which matched the original paint on the cowl perfectly. As for the brand, there's a big rack of PPG paints in the shop, but I'll have to confirm for you that this is what he used.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess this is where I should give a shameless plug for Florida Pontiac, and my friend Steve Dietz. Some of you who followed my thread- The Road to Restoration is long and not for the faint of heart" on my Tiger Gold '66 may know that it was done at this shop back in 2005. There have been several other top notch Pontiac restorations that have come out of this shop. Shortly after my car was a Tyrol blue '67 convertible. Nut and bolt restoration that as soon as it was done, the owner drove it (drove not trailered) it to Louisiana, and then further west and then back again.
Another interesting car that is currently in the shop and has had extensive metal work done to it is a 69 RAM IV hardtop. Believe it or not, they owner bought a few cars at a private auction and picked up this rusty ugly (but matching numbers Ram IV) car about 2 years ago locally for the paltry sum of $3600. He was going to use it for parts and had no idea what he had purchased.
Also in the works is a '65 GTO hardtop that was a stocker, but is going to be highly modified, and 69 Firebird that will be a Trans Am clone. If any of you ever need somewhere to get any level of restoration done, and you are in Florida, I highly recommend this shop. Quite reasonably priced and could easily match Scott Tieman's shop if you wanted to go to that level.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ll echo Andre’s sentiments about Florida Pontiac. The work is fantastic and reasonably priced, and Steve is a first rate guy to boot. I gave him a budget, and he worked hard to get me everything I wanted for the car and more. I can’t imagine having a more positive experience.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Photos of door panel and front seats installed. You can also see the console, which was re-chromed. The original base was broken in several places, so I found one on the cheap, cleaned it up, and re-flocked it using a kit I purchased from DonJer. Flocking was inexpensive, easy-to-do, and it turned out great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	door panel.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	235069   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior front.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	235070  

Last edited by Gator67; 02-17-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is one gorgeous car Gator.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I made the trip down to the shop yesterday and took the car out for a short drive. It started instantly, shifted crisply, and got up to speed effortlessly--no clunks, squeaks, smoke, or alarming gauge readings. I was thrilled to say the least.

Now that the interior is in the car, the sound from the MSD box (located in the glove box) is audible, so the ignition set-up will be changed to a distributor only system. The car still needs an alignment and a few finishing touches, but it should be ready for me to pick up next week.

Here is photo of the rear of the car--the last ones I posted didn't have the trunk lid and rocker trim installed. The other photo shows the pin stripes, which were painted on after I left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rrshot.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	237689   Click image for larger version

Name:	stripeshot.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	237690  

Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great progress on that car. Wow, it will be a real head turner. Like I said earlier, I love Linden Green, and, as mentioned, the parchment interior, with the white top are
icing on the cake. I will say, all black with Linden is beautifull also, but ,hot in the sun!
What is the story on finding this car, an HO,4speed? Awesome. Larry B.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is so nice to see people finally coming around to an appreciation of some of these '60s colors like Linden Green... The car is beautiful.
When my cousin retired from the Army, he bought a '67 Buick GS that same color...[Their version of] Linden Green with a white interior. I thought it was one of the best looking cars I'd ever seen.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks fantastic! And this thread is coming along quite nicely, no long waits from start to finish (for us, anyway).