Old 03-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmanmitch View Post
Looks fantastic! And this thread is coming along quite nicely, no long waits from start to finish (for us, anyway).
You're not talking about me are Ya? The car is beautiful. Maybe , one day, I'll be able to test drive mine!

Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 PM

703 to 59 I love reading this stuff more pix please

Old 03-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gator67,
Very very nice. I wish you the best when you take it for a true long cruise; hopefully your drive home!
Please post some nice pictures of the car in the sun when you can.....I'd like to show my wife these pictures.....when she sees my goat, all she sees is a dirty, splotchy ugly goat in a million pieces in the garage...seeing a truly gorgeous car like yours may help her see there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Oh and fyrffyter, even if your progress is slower (although mine is slower yet), I still dig seeing your updates.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
What is the story on finding this car, an HO,4speed? Awesome. Larry B.
You asked....

When I moved to Florida in 1998, I learned that one of my new colleagues and her husband had a 67 GTO convertible that was being restored in a shop somewhere in Gainesville. I never got to see it, but from our conversations I formed the impression that it was a base automatic convertible in pretty rough shape. Their restoration was to consist of a front suspension rebuild, power brakes, tune-up and engine bay cleanup—just enough to get it safe so they could tool around town. They got divorced in 2002, and she left for a job elsewhere, but her ex and the GTO stayed in town. I ran into the guy a couple times a year after that and usually asked about the car, and although I could tell he was losing interest, he never expressed an interest in selling it…until he got remarried. It just so happens that in 2008 I started looking for a GTO convertible to restore as a father and son project. I ran into the guy and asked if he still had the car and was interested in selling it, and he said he was, but that I probably wouldn’t be interested because it needed so much work. He gave me the address of the shop and I drove there with my son to check it out. I walked into the shop and saw the car and couldn’t believe my eyes. It was covered in dust, but it looked straight, complete, and rust-free. I actually asked the owner of the shop if I was looking at the right the car. After he confirmed that I was looking at the right car, I opened the hood and saw the HO air cleaner and that it was a manual. I thought to myself, “no way”. I then reached into the engine bay and scraped the paint off the engine block and read the letters “WS”, at this point I think I said out loud "no @#$%ing way". The shop owner walked over and handed me a folder of papers to show me the work that had been done. I thumbed through the stack of receipts, and near the bottom was the PHS document. I saw that it was indeed an HO 4 speed car. I then took a deep breath and compared the engine unit number on the document to what appeared on the block….BINGO. After verifying there was oil in the engine and that the engine turned, I called the owner on the spot and told him I’d take it off his hands. I told him what I learned about the car from the PHS documents and what it meant, and we settled on a fair price. Here are some photos. First, photo of the car as I walked into the shop seeing it for the first time. Second, photo of my son standing in front of the car at the shop. Third photo shows the car arriving home. Fourth photo shows my son wiping off a decade of dust.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto in shop1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	237892   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto in shop.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	237893   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto unload.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	237894   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto clean.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	237895  

Last edited by Gator67; 03-13-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This story and the pictures added a whole lot to the overall restoration thread you have been documenting here. Beautiful restoration and great story behind it. Your son really wanted the car, looks like he is trying to pull it out of the shop in the 2nd picture. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Old 03-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Senior Chief

Im partial to the burgundy color but that linden green is outstanding- Great looking car.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff,
Thanks for the story. I can only imagine the feeling you got, when you saw the WS, PHS, etc. What a great car to restore. I also think that you are a top notch guy for telling the owner what he had, and determining a price from there. That is a very honorable thing to do. Kudos to you and the car. Larry B.

p.s. Aren't you a little young to drive, see last pics. lol

Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Jeff,
I also think that you are a top notch guy for telling the owner what he had, and determining a price from there. That is a very honorable thing to do.
Ain't that the truth? Especially after the guy expressed that he thought there was "so much work" to be done to it.
Frankly, I'd have had a hard time doing anything to that car but driving it.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct. It's a beauty. I'd be interested to see the options from the PHS,if they aren't already mentioned. Larry B.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great find & an awesome restoration! Also nice to see a car that is not one of the typical "popular" colors done up in the lovely shade that it left the factory in.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, the paint on it looked to be really good back in 2008, from what aI see of that rt front fender. Very lucky find Jeff.

I know of one other PYer that had an original Burgundy 67 Goat and changed the color too. I won't mention the name tho. Tho I do like his new color.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Wow, the paint on it looked to be really good back in 2008, from what aI see of that rt front fender.
That fender looked good, but as you should be able to see in the other photos, the paint was really poor in a bunch of places and the tail panel was rusted pretty bad. The last photo shows the original Linden Green paint peeking through on the rocker.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paint.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	237994   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear paint.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	237995   Click image for larger version

Name:	rocker.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	237996  

Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
...I'd be interested to see the options from the PHS,if they aren't already mentioned
Here's what's highlighted in the PHS:
Pushbutton AM radio & manual antenna
Custom Foam Cushion Front
Lamp Glove Box
Lamps Courtesy
Rally Gauge Cluster & Tach
Wire Wheel Discs
Console
Dual Exhaust
Power steering
Custom Floor Shift Knob
Soft Ray Glass Windshield only
Power top
F70X14 Redline
Safe-T Track
4 Speed Man (matching Trans unit #)
HO 400
HD Frame
HD 5 Blade Fan & Fan Shroud
HD Radiator

It's a Baltimore car, built in March, and was charged to Zone 03 Dealer 493. The Protecto Plate says the car was sold at Teefy Pontiac in Jenkintown PA (near Philadelphia I believe).

From the paper work I received from the seller, the car was owned by a Navy guy, and it spent time on both coasts (California and Virginia).

Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Jeff, Custom Foam Cushion-Front, I haven't seen that one, although I have seen it offered in the Accessories Catalogue. Interesting options, especially the Wire Wheels. Larry B.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be leaving the house in a few minutes to pick up the car. Hotrodrx has volunteered to be my wingman. I'm still a bit nervous about making the long trip home, but I've been assured the car will be fine. Shop owner took it out on a 20+ mile trip on Wednesday and no problems. I'll post again when I get her home this evening.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Super! Pics please!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You'll make it home just fine Gator.... enjoy the ride.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I spoke to Jeff last, he was riding with the top down and had stopped for gas at Yee Haw Junction. That is about 60 miles from the shop, so I am sure he is good to go. On the down side, I noticed that we are in love bug season, so there may be some clean up needed once he gets it home.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Made it home!

The trip home went smoothly...no problems at all. It was a joy to drive--250 miles with the top down. Attached is a photo of the car right before we left the shop, and another of Hotrodrx getting some seat time on the Florida Turnpike. More photos after I have a chance to wash the bugs off the bumper, grill and windshield.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leaving.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	239098   Click image for larger version

Name:	way home.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	239099  

Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am happy for you! That is a beautiful ride. I may have to come down sometime just to see it in person.