THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Local sweet corn

So, the first crop of sweet corn has hit the local stands. I kept on driving when I saw they wanted $7.00/dozen. I don't think seed was that much this year and fuel was certainly lower. COVID prevented them from hanging around the local store all day, spending money. Little handling/transport costs. So, what's the deal? Convince me that's the right price.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell em to eat it the long way.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-24-2020, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's normally 6 bucks a dozen around here. It's not like the extra buck is going to China or Venezuela!
Did you maybe stop & kick the Farmer while you were at it? Wow!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 07-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$4-5 around here, but we’re rural and surrounded by it.
Supply and demand, if it’s overpriced nobody will buy it and the price will soon drop.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Shoot...I don't know what to think about anything, these days, concerning prices these days. A dollar buys so very little any more. It's hard to compare what anything is these days. Costs just go up and up. I grew up in Iowa. My Mom was an awesome cook. She canned all kinds of stuff. Corn was one of the best!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-24-2020, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In Winneconne, Wisconsin, it's $6/dozen or 75 cents per ear. Sounds like a high price, but it's fantastic! It's the bi-color version--some cobs are small, but some are huge. I've bought it in the local grocery stores and have been disappointed every time.

I think corn on the cob is much better today than previous years.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 07-24-2020, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Acme had corn this past April. I've no idea where it came from but it wasn't good at all. It was the bi colored Butter and Sugar corn. It sat around some where and it was tuff as nails and old looking. I tried to eat one ear but couldn't so I chucked the other 9. Cost was 5.00 for 10.

Around here they mostly sell that white Jersey corn. I don't like unless I'm forced to buy it because there's no Butter and Sugar corn to be had. And to me it has no taste to it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$6. / dozen at farmers market.
4 ears for $5. at the grocery store.

That price doesn't bother me, but tomatoes are $3.50 / pound at the farmers market! Glad I unretired from gardening this spring. So far, 31 pounds of tomatoes, and more daily.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want it, buy it! It's not like it's $50.00 a dozen!
Everything has gone up because expenses have gone up.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I'm sure all you "corn" experts know.....after picking corn, it either needs to be eaten, ASAP, or cooked and canned or frozen, ASAP also. THe sugar starts turning starchy after that ear leaves the plant. Grocery store corn will never be very good to eat...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-24-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I'm sure all you "corn" experts know.....after picking corn, it either needs to be eaten, ASAP, or cooked and canned or frozen, ASAP also.
When we were teenagers, my brother worked one summer at a Libby's corn plant. Corn came in directly from the fields, and any of it that wasn't processed and canned at the end of the day was discarded, so that amounted to anything more than 12 hours or so from when it was picked.

Workers could take home as much as they wanted from the discard pile, so we ate more corn on the cob that summer than ever. It was good stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2020, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Acme had corn this past April. I've no idea where it came from but it wasn't good at all. It was the bi colored Butter and Sugar corn. It sat around some where and it was tuff as nails and old looking. I tried to eat one ear but couldn't so I chucked the other 9. Cost was 5.00 for 10.

Around here they mostly sell that white Jersey corn. I don't like unless I'm forced to buy it because there's no Butter and Sugar corn to be had. And to me it has no taste to it.
Gary- the corn you get at the A-c-a-m-e in MAR-APR is from FLA/SC/.NC, it's cow corn, I suppose better than nothing that time of the year.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:34 PM
Senior Chief

Elkhart Indiana it’s .33 cents ea. Big ears too. At the local store. Haven’t stopped at the local farm stand yet.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Olathe and Mirai varieties are just now available here, both excellent. $6/dozen at stands, less in stores. I think I remember reading concerns about harvesting because covid affected seasonal labor. I think a lot of the Olathe corn is picked by hand but my memory is suspect.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$6 bucks a doz here for local grown. It is picked fresh daily. I got spoiled and now only eat corn on the cob when in season locally. I won't get corn if it is more than a day old. There are a few farm here and you can watch them bringing it in from the field to the bins for sale. Great white and bi-color.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you know how many hairs are on an ear of corn? There is a hair for every kernel. useless trivia I guess.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My neighbor (we live in a rural subdevelopment with 18 lots - currently 7 homes) grows a small patch of corn behind his shed. When it's ready to pick - it's free for any of us in the development that want to go pick our own. Living in SE MN, it's good sweet corn for free...

Old 07-25-2020, 01:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428goat View Post
Elkhart Indiana it’s .33 cents ea. Big ears too. At the local store. Haven’t stopped at the local farm stand yet.
Where is that? Sweet Corn Charlies roadside stands?

Old 07-25-2020, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OMG.
At the Minnesota State fair decades ago, there was a “booth” with a dump truck load of sweet corn. And a big charcoal fire. $1? They’d roast it, peel the husk back as a handle. Butter. Maybe a bit of salt.
People were standing everywhere gnawing on corn.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Olathe corn was 6 for $2 today off a pickup at the local farmer's market.

Kroger (King Soopers, QFC) apparently ordered 4 million ears this year. This farmer expects to ship 35 million ears!

Video Link to First Day of Olathe Corn Harvest

Quite a testament to irrigation, given we have had ZERO rain this year.

Check out the 43-foot-wide harvester carrying 24 pickers (VISAS were apparently approved in spite of Covid):

Link to Article with Photos of Operation