Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-11-2021, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Harmonic Balancer

The harmonic balancer failed on my '67. I heard a metallic clanking sound and an occasional clunk, and found that the inner section separated from the donut. I think I bought it in 2009, not sure from where. Less than 10k miles. It's a 462, but factory appearing. What's my best option if I want to keep the 8 bolt water pump and original pulleys?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1697D.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	562503  

Old 03-12-2021, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same problem with my 1967 and for a temporary fix I just put on another used one. That was over 20 years ago and I never did change it to something else.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
The harmonic balancer failed on my '67. I heard a metallic clanking sound and an occasional clunk, and found that the inner section separated from the donut. I think I bought it in 2009, not sure from where. Less than 10k miles. It's a 462, but factory appearing. What's my best option if I want to keep the 8 bolt water pump and original pulleys?
The best "stock" type would be a BHJ. Nightmare sells them for less than BHJ. But still over 450 $

Old 03-12-2021, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...tegory:1234723

Dont know if its better or worse than anything out there...... but this is what I did last year

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 03-12-2021, 03:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When it happened to me I shut off the engine and heard this spinning, whirling, scraping sound continue on for another three or four seconds. The good news is the weight is contained by the shape of the bell mouthed center portion. My original was in very bad shape and the reason for its failure; and while the replacement was not much better, it continues on and hasn't failed. This was before replacements were being reproduced, and I'll definitely opt for a new one when the current one finally gives up the ghost.

I still like this early style balancer better than the later because the timing mark is cut into the hub and there is no worry about slippage and giving an incorrect timing reading. We've had aftermarket SFI approved later style units that have slipped and driven us up the wall until we figured out our timing was out of whack.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...tegory:1234723

Dont know if its better or worse than anything out there...... but this is what I did last year
Butler:

**1968 and Later TC- First Mark Clockwise is 0 Timing Mark**

**1964-67 TC- First Mark Clockwise is 6 Timing Mark, Second Mark is 0**

This just don´t sound right!
For 1964-65 hubs the first mark is the 6° BTDC and the second mark is the 0° mark for the pin indicator on timing cover?
1966-67 has only one mark on hub, the 0° mark, as these engines uses a scale on timing cover.
1968 and later timing scale sits way to far from the 1964-67 hub to be useful in a proper way.

FWIW

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 03-12-2021, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are rebuilding/exchange services for the two piece balancers. Don't know what they charge but a quick search found this place-
https://damperdoctor.com/index.php?route=common/home

Quote:
REBUILT HARMONIC BALANCERS
Rebuilt harmonic balancers have a refundable core value. All rebuilt harmonic balancers are first disassembled and cleaned. The parts are then inspected for defects, including stripped bolt holes and worn or cracked keyways and hubs. Harmonic balancers are then prepared for assembly. Timing marks are set to the factory specification by using a laser aligning process. After the timing marks are set, the harmonic balancers are then injected with a high-temperature, high-strength silicone rubber that is then platinum cured for a extremely strong hold. The new silicone rubber is capable of withstanding temperature in excess of 450 degrees, and will hold up against pressures as high as 770 psi. Rebuilt harmonic balancers carry a 3 year limited warranty

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 10:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Noticed the rubber failing when I looked at my '66. Searched around but for my stock motor, didn't want aftermarket and any original would probably be in the same condition. Found a guy near me that rebuilds them. New vulcanized rubber and all. Did my '63 also.

1963 Catalina Safari
1966 Grand Prix

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 03-12-2021, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I find it strange that while there are a hundred options for the '68 and later 4 bolt version, there are very few options for the 6 bolt 2-piece '67 and earlier version...in fact, I'm wondering if everyone (Butler, Ames, Parts Place, Summit, etc.) is selling the same one (from AAC, made in Mexico)? The other thing is no one sells just the section with the rubber donut that sits inside the pulley.

I'll try a rebuilding service, but I'm sure the one I have is aftermarket, and I'd like to get the car back on the road soon...right in the middle of peak driving season here!

Old 03-12-2021, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
...Butler:

**1964-67 TC- First Mark Clockwise is 6 Timing Mark, Second Mark is 0**

This just don´t sound right!FWIW...
They have a strange way of explaining it, but if taken in the context that you run your finger around the edge in a clockwise direction the first mark you come to is the 0°.

If on the engine and the timing marks are at the top, the mark towards the passenger side is 0° and the mark towards the driver's side is 6°.

Since they only produce one aftermarket hub for 64-67; the 1966 and 1967 cars get a hub with an extra and unnecessary mark to confuse the issue. With the later 66-67 engines I usually fill the extra mark in with JB weld and paint it over so there won't be a chance of using the wrong mark later on.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:54 PM
Boost Engineer

I have seen several of the off-shore harmonic balancers fail over the years.

And I have never seen a ATI balancer fail. (or a Pioneer Balancer fail.

Just lucky I guess. I use only ATI balancers personally. They have all been the 4 bolt
later style units. 2 are designed to run a serpentine belt FEAD System.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used the Damper Dudes to rebuild mine on my Buick. They can sell you one outright or rebuild yours.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.frankspontiacparts.com/e...ngineparts.htmIf you dont mind a good used original one, looks like Franks has one for $65 bucks.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Options for the 2 piece 6 bolt version are very limited, and would like something more robust than the reproduction that's available, so thinking about changing over to the later 4 bolt version. I understand I'll need a new pulley and timing cover...but is there a way to do this without having to change all the other pulleys and belts etc?

Old 03-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Figure the original ones lasted until the rubber hardened and rotted away. A new one should outlast the remainder of the engine parts.

It's pretty simple to space out the alternator and power steering units with washers between the aluminum mounting bracket and the units -- that is after you replace the timing cover or shave down the cast timing tab since the new balancer is larger in diameter.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think butler sells them.

GT

Old 03-14-2021, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
The best "stock" type would be a BHJ. Nightmare sells them for less than BHJ. But still over 450 $
They don't fit 67 and earlier

Old 03-14-2021, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, Butler has the two piece version (made by AAC). I ordered one and will compare it to the one that just failed. Hope it’s not the same. The adhesive just completely rotted away in only 10 years and my car stays in a climate controlled garage. If it is the same I’ll have to keep a close eye on it until I find an alternative.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The one Butler sells is the better choice.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

New harmonic balancer from Butler arrived. Slightly different than the one that failed so I guess there is (was) at least one other version made. Hopefully this one last longer. Painted and installed, works great. Old one must have been failing for a while because the engine is quieter and no longer rattles for a second after I shut it off. The boiled frog effect.