Old 06-26-2002, 09:23 AM

Hello,

I have a 1966 Pontiac LeMans with power windows. I'm having a problem with smoke and sparks coming from the main drivers side switch when I try to lower or raise the drivers side rear window. All other Windows from this switch work ok. In addition, when I use the drivers side rear window switch, the interior lights dim and the window travels up and down real slow. Also, this is an intermittent problem. Sometimes both switches seem to work fine. Here's what I've done to try and resolve the issue:

1. Installed a new wiring harness for the drivers side door. The problem still exists.
2. Thinking it may be the main drivers side switch, I unplugged it from the wiring harness. I then tried the rear window switch and the same result. (the window moves real slow or not at all and the interior lights dim).
3. I traced the front door wiring harness where it connects near the fuse box and then travels under the carpet via a flat ribbon cable. Where it connects near the fuse box might be the issue, but things appear to be connected ok. There is an orange wire that comes out from the wiring harness and appears to go through the firewall. I still need to do some looking in this area.

Is anyone out there familiar with these type symptoms? The switch sparking and smoking..does that indicate something specific?...a hot wire being grounded someplace? And what about the rear window switch...should I remove the rear seat and armrest and take a look at the wiring in this area?

It seems if the problem is intermittent, then something is changing...and the only place I can think of would be the front door opening and closing.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or has experienced the same type problems, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help....Dan.

[ June 26, 2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: nadmik ]

Old 06-26-2002, 09:23 AM

Hello,

I have a 1966 Pontiac LeMans with power windows. I'm having a problem with smoke and sparks coming from the main drivers side switch when I try to lower or raise the drivers side rear window. All other Windows from this switch work ok. In addition, when I use the drivers side rear window switch, the interior lights dim and the window travels up and down real slow. Also, this is an intermittent problem. Sometimes both switches seem to work fine. Here's what I've done to try and resolve the issue:

1. Installed a new wiring harness for the drivers side door. The problem still exists.
2. Thinking it may be the main drivers side switch, I unplugged it from the wiring harness. I then tried the rear window switch and the same result. (the window moves real slow or not at all and the interior lights dim).
3. I traced the front door wiring harness where it connects near the fuse box and then travels under the carpet via a flat ribbon cable. Where it connects near the fuse box might be the issue, but things appear to be connected ok. There is an orange wire that comes out from the wiring harness and appears to go through the firewall. I still need to do some looking in this area.

Is anyone out there familiar with these type symptoms? The switch sparking and smoking..does that indicate something specific?...a hot wire being grounded someplace? And what about the rear window switch...should I remove the rear seat and armrest and take a look at the wiring in this area?

It seems if the problem is intermittent, then something is changing...and the only place I can think of would be the front door opening and closing.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or has experienced the same type problems, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help....Dan.

[ June 26, 2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: nadmik ]

Old 06-26-2002, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wish I could be of more help, but first-off, don't let your car set unattended with the battery connected. Sounds like you have a dead short somewhere, could lead to a lot worse. Anytime there's spark and smoke you're looking at potential fire. It sounds like the hot supply is not fused- SHOULD BE. Take your time and trace all wiring from bat. to switches, it's there somewhere. Maybe a more knowledgeable member will kick-in with some help. Good luck!

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 06-26-2002, 11:58 AM

Since it only happens (goes real slow, etc.) with this particular window from either switch, I suspect that window motor/mechanism. The driver's switch just isn't as tough as the one in back so you get sparks, etc.

Old 06-26-2002, 06:05 PM

Guys, Thanks for both of your responses. A couple of other points:

Since I owned the car(3 years), the windows have always worked without the key having to be in the "on" position...either car running or Accessory. Were these cars wired like this from the factory?

Also, sometimes everything works fine from both the rear window switch and the driver side door..then for no reason..that I can find, it seems to short out. This is why I don't think it's the window motor and to me points to a wiring issue.

Any additional thoughts, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.Dan

[ June 26, 2002, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: nadmik ]

Old 06-27-2002, 08:45 PM
Senior Chief

My pwr windows only work with the switch on. Check the relay...I think it is mounted on or near the emergency brake release.

Old 07-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure that you didn't accidentally chaff the wire when you ran it through the door, or bolt it down somewhere (under the regulator hardware). It is definately grounded out somewhere.