Old 07-29-2002, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am putting new brakes,wheel cylinders,ect. on the rear of my '66 GTO.Do I just bleed the rear
cylinders or do I need to also do the front.It is
a single master cylinder.Thanks!

Eric

Old 07-29-2002, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am putting new brakes,wheel cylinders,ect. on the rear of my '66 GTO.Do I just bleed the rear
cylinders or do I need to also do the front.It is
a single master cylinder.Thanks!

Eric

Old 07-30-2002, 05:47 AM

If you are changing the rear cylinders, it's likely the fluid is going to drain all the way back up to the junction point between the front and rear, and a small amount of air could get into the front lines too. As a precaution, I would bleed the front brakes also. Can't hurt to flush out those 30+ year old lines and see what the fluid looks like either.

Old 07-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

An easy way to bleed your sys. is with a vac. bleeder(Hutchins $25.00).Much simpler than the 2 person method.Remember to start with the brake furthest from the master and work your way to the closest(PR-DR-PF-DF).Or if you want a truflush find a good shop that has a power bleeder that attaches to the master and pushes the fluid through,takes roughly 15 min for a full flush.I think it was MIDAS,they only charge $30.00.

Old 07-30-2002, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks,I figured if I used a dual MC I would only
have to do the back,only feeding off 1 resivor.(sp)Since I use a single MC the front and rear feed off the same one.Thats why I was wondering.

Eric

Old 07-30-2002, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While on this subject..I plan to do my brakes too in the near future. I've heard the 'vacuum bleeder' mentioned several times. I assume it comes with directions so I guess I can figure it out if I decide to try it. I've also seen the
Russell 'speed bleeder' advertised which replaces the bleeder screw in the wheel cylinder with ball and check valve system. Has anyone used these things and did they work OK? I have the single master cylinder on my '66 as well and I'm a little leery of introducing anything to the system that might pose a chance (albeit slight) for a leak.
Thanks, Tim

Old 07-30-2002, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Goatseeker I am trying the bleeders on the rear
cylinders.I bought some for the front but I can't
use them because I've decided to switch to disc
brakes...Eric

Old 07-30-2002, 11:42 PM

Talking brakes is there anything special you need to do to bleed a new master cyclinder? Thanks guys

Old 07-31-2002, 01:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Eric,
Please post when you decide how they work. I'm probably going to order the parts so when I have a spare weekend I'll do the rears this summer. Will probably wait til after hunting season to do the front 'cause I plan to rebuild the front suspension at the same time & that'll be a bigger project.
Thanks, Tim

Old 07-31-2002, 04:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Coaster
Talking brakes is there anything special you need to do to bleed a new master cyclinder?

If you were to do a bench bleed you do not want to excede 1/3 stroke.If you do either a vac. or a truflush bleed you need not worry about bleeding the master,as the fluid is either pulled or pushed through the sys. removing any air.