Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 10-31-2017, 12:30 PM

Default 1958 pontiac tripower

Looking for help == the center carb has no vacuum above the throttle bades == that means the vacuum advance will be pulling vacuum at all times should we hot have fittings above the throttle body === what can I due ti correct the problem is the right part can not be found

Old 10-31-2017, 05:35 PM
Boost Engineer

Know little about the 1958 Tri-Power carbs but it sounds like you are asking if you could either add Ported Spark capability to your 58 carb or possible use a different 58 style 2-bbl carb that did have Ported Spark. Is that correct?
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 AM

Default 1958 pontiac tripower

Thanks for getting back to me == to add ported vacuum to the existing carb would be difficult as the castings are not strong enough to tap and for a new fitting == the problem with the vacuum below the throttle body is the distributor will pull vacuum at all times not just when you need it == the carb I have is a small base carb which is the same from 59 to 65 == the 58 used 3. small carbs == I have a 60 tripower intake at this time ==do you know where we can find a small base carb or is there another way to do this == the only other thing I have dune in the past is to go with machinal advance == the carb I am using now they say came from a 59 set up == thanks for any help == been fitting this tripower since may of 2016 == getting closer

Old 11-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is simple to add ported vacuum to a Pontiac Tripower center carb. I've attached pictures of a Pontiac carb with no ported vacuum provision and some other Rochester carbs that do have the casting drilled and tapped for 1/8 NPT.

I've drilled & tapped several Pontiac center carbs for people who wanted ported vacuum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4572.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	466839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4575.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	466840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4573.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	466841  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 11-05-2017, 01:59 PM

Thanks for getting back to me ====== there is a casting there that could be used but I am afraid to do it == where does this port lead to == If you do this give me a price == what do you need == from me == these card were all rebuilt when I got them but the guy did not know what he was doing == the front carb had a float which leaked causing the gas to just rush out == fixed that then every carb had the wrong gasket between the throttle body and the body of the carb still more problems await me == just want it dune right ========== this is the 5th time I have pulled the intake out and starting over again ==