Pontiac - Race The next Level

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 10:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

torqjunki, Congrats!
Keep us updated with your progress.

Old 11-19-2001, 10:57 PM
Suspended

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gloatman:
I may not be the brightest man on the planet....... ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got THAT right.

Pedro: I think the reason you're running slower is due to that enormous ego-fattened head of yours. Hell, if you hung that thing out the window, the drag alone would net you 14's.

Old 11-19-2001, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

71 T/A - The heads were ported by a guy in Midland Texas who is a very knowledgeable engine builder. He does not operate a speed shop or engine service, but primarily builds compressor engines designed for longevity and economy. His engine of choice (sorry to say) is big block Ford. He does build performance engines on occasion for street or strip racers. I guess what I am trying to say is that he is not a life long Pontiac head porter. He has probably done four sets of D-ports. No epoxy, welding or voodoo was performed on these heads. As I stated earlier they flow 270 cfm @ .500 lift on a 28" bench. BTW, a friend's E-heads were flowed just days before mine on same bench and his numbers matched Edelbrocks advertised numbers. I think this bench is very accurate.
Goatman - These numbers are with no Nitrous or any other power adders and running thru exhaust with mufflers. If you think changing the components that I changed would not constitute much need for tuning, I and I am sure others would strongly disagree. When one change is made to my car, almost always there are other adjustments to be made to compliment said change. I applaud your choice of using RAIV heads and am impressed with your numbers as well. Just remember, ET wins races!!
PDude - Heads #62, CI 462, tire 28 x 10.5 and gear 3:73 (I think it needs 3:55's). LOL
Thanks David Holmberg and others for your support. I will keep you posted.

1971 Base Firebird..505ci IA 2A Round port E-heads by Butler 348 cfm.. Comp street SR 266/272@.050 Victor intake/Quick Fuel Q950. 1 7/8" Dougs headers..3" mandrel bent exhaust with Hooker Max Flow mufflers, T-350 well built with 10" 4000 stall nitrous Continental converter..3.73 posi . Caltracs and 10" slicks. Belt driven water pump, alternator, Pwr steering and brakes,Flex fan. 11:1compression, straight 93 octane pump fuel. 10.35 @ 129.88 with 1.45 60ft N/A at 3700lbs race weight.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome #'s dude. I'm impressed. I just like hammering Larry cause of the way he always starts his posts comparing maxed out D-ports (and 270cfm is on the verge of max)to out of the box E- Heads. Hahahahahaha.
Nobody (since Gach was banned) has tried to compare D's and E's 'cept Larry.
I applaud anyone that has a streetcar over 3500lbs that can run real low 11's and into the 10's with a Pontiac D-port steel head.
That say's a lot for the owner of that car!!!
A point on velocity.......It's great trying to justify the small size of the D-port Pontiac head, but If I had a big motor with a bigger port and ported it for max velocity(cam,rpm,intake,etc)........WOW, could I fly!!! Why I would bobsled down that aluminum port so freakin fast the Tach couldn't keep up. LOL.

Race Hard and Have Fun.
Larry, Larry,Larry. LOL.

------------------
Injection is Nice, but I'd rather have 'GAS'....Nitrous that is.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428

Old 11-19-2001, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Navarro:

WOW...brand new parts? obviously more money than brains.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Larry I think you need to back off. I don't understand why you always have to attack everyone that is running a e-head....and yes I am running an edelbrock head on my car. I suppose I could have sent in my 670's or bought a different set of D ports and spent just as much money getting them ported as I spent on my new technology heads. The only difference is the D port would have been finished, I wouldn't been able to get anymore out of it, but on the other hand now I have a new head that I am just starting with and it already outflows a D port. So now you tell me who has the brains.

I believe in doing things once the way I want it but at the same time I can still get more out of the heads if that is what I desire farther down the road. I should tell you my "street car" is a 75 bird with stock type suspension naturally aspirated will run in the 9's and it weighs 3520 with 3.89 gears and I 60' 1.37. I like both heads but I dislike import attitude that you give out.. I didn't want to get into this conversation but I also don't like being called stupid because of what I believe was a better choice for me... and if you don't believe me about my car you can look and see a pic of it in the nov/dec issue of PE page 25 upper left hand corner and my time slip is on page 24. The heat index this day was 120 degrees.
I also want to say torqjunki you have a very strong running car and you should be very proud.

Chad Dammen

[This message has been edited by dammen8 (edited 11-19-2001).]

Old 11-20-2001, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hey chad...glad you could join in on the fun!i don't recall anywhere in my posts where i said.."hey chad, you are stupid"...
your assumption of me attacking the e-heads?...lets just say it's a defense for using D's.
if your running in the 9's thats great...most likely wouldn't be possible with a d-head and your set-up. if you have been following my posts through the year, you may recall where i said the e-head has its place...
but geez man, a streetable d-port in the mid tens, flowing way less than an e-head...a set of d-ports that flow 270 at .500 lift!!...
so NOW you really don't need e-heads to run in the tens!!! although, i'll get a set, if i want to run 9's.
anyone wanna lick the spoon!!

Old 11-20-2001, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry I go to NASCAR Church on Sunday. Dave- nice performance, what year was that Dec issue? Wish I was 3500 pounds [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 11-20-2001, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve

You should remember what year. You took me out of the race on Sunday (Pontiac Nationals in Ennis) after a malfunction with the christmas tree left me sitting at the line watching you run. We did run again with me shifting from first to third, but it did not matter, I brought a knife to a gun fight. LOL

10.68 in that heat, that's making power! After toasting some head gaskets and watering down my oil, I decided to step it up a notch without destroying my streetability. Seems like I have a gun to bring to the fight now! LOL I wish I had a roller cam set-up.

BTW, good info on the gear swap/shift point post. I too short-shift from first to second. Would love to try less gear.

1971 Base Firebird..505ci IA 2A Round port E-heads by Butler 348 cfm.. Comp street SR 266/272@.050 Victor intake/Quick Fuel Q950. 1 7/8" Dougs headers..3" mandrel bent exhaust with Hooker Max Flow mufflers, T-350 well built with 10" 4000 stall nitrous Continental converter..3.73 posi . Caltracs and 10" slicks. Belt driven water pump, alternator, Pwr steering and brakes,Flex fan. 11:1compression, straight 93 octane pump fuel. 10.35 @ 129.88 with 1.45 60ft N/A at 3700lbs race weight.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave I had the Dec 2000 issue and was looking at the ads on page 56 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
(we finally got our PRC HP950 carb sorted out, use it all the time now)

Old 11-20-2001, 01:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve

Which Dominator have you tried and what modifications did you perform on it, if any?

Chris at PRC has done some things for me on the old 850. I am currently using a new out-of-the-box 8896 Dominator. I feel like maybe something between the 850 and 1050 would be best suited for this motor.

For now, I am concentrating on the chassis. The CE J-Bolt traction bars don't like the 1.45 60 footers as they are spinning on the axle and breaking the center pin. I think they were designed for 450hp!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2001, 10:26 AM
On Vacation

What's the matter Larry and Scott, what happened to "the mouths"? I've gotten no repsonses from my last post. What happened to all the disputes?

Well, at least you guys know when you're beat. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2001, 11:22 AM
Suspended

Gloatman:

That head of yours is so big, you could hang it out the window and use it for a parachute.

Old 11-20-2001, 11:43 AM
On Vacation

Your eyes are so green, you should change your name to Jade. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Where's your race car Scott? How come you don't share your experience's with us? Where's your high HP D-port motor? Oh yeah, its rotting in your back yard with the rest of the junk.

Oh yeah, you don't have one, nor have you ever. Seems kinda sad, since you claim to have built your first car when "I was seven".

FOS, PS (Poor Scott). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2001, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

goatbreath...take a bath and get a job, no sence in wasting anymore time with you...take it up with the man(torqjunki) that runs the numbers, that is if you have the stomach for it....

Old 11-20-2001, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder where he bought a crash helmet that fits?

Old 11-20-2001, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He could walk around Disney Land without a costume.

Old 11-20-2001, 12:25 PM
Suspended

gLoatman:

Again, your reading comprehension reveals your true IQ. I never stated that I built a race car. You, in your infinite ineptitude, assumed it was. Fact (and I know how you hate facts): '68 GTO convert. Nightshade Green, black top and interior. Base 350hp engine, automatic, 3.36 open(replaced with 4.33 4 pinion for $60, when you were 7), PS, PB, hideaways, 14X7 Rally II's. Dragged home in 1981 (when you were 7) and sold in 1992.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Your car is very impressive, particularly in view of the few times it's been raced.

However (and I know how you hate facts), three things remain:

1. Nobody's envious of you.
2. The D-port dude is faster with less.
3. Your head is STILL the size of the moon.

[This message has been edited by Scott Misus (edited 11-20-2001).]

Old 11-20-2001, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Time to move on here.
Dave- time for Cal-Tracs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I tried a borrowed 8896HP Dominator. Used it with a Victor on the dyno & the track. Also with a modified Holly Street Dominator manifold. With hood clearance issues the smaller carbs work best, currently using the PRC HP950 w/Victor. It's about the same as the 1050/Victor combination.

Old 11-20-2001, 02:10 PM
On Vacation

KenK, still waiting for those pics. That should quiet you down, it always does. At least my head has nothing to do with uncle Lou's anus. I know you can't say the same.

Larry, I knew you'd bow down and chicken out, I haven't left you a leg to stand on.

Scott, this is the racing section, if you don't have car or experience, then why are you posting? You haven't contributed to this section once.

1. I don't WANT envy. Nor do I care about your little temper tantrums.
2. This particular D-port car is faster, enjoy it now, it won't last. I'm not dumb enough to think for a second that there won't always be someone faster than me, it just won't ever be you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
3. My head is fine and my feet are on the ground and my statements are based ON REALITY and my experiences. I don't have to tell stories about alleged incidences or make up slangs with names, or try to insult people's ethnicities to get attention like a four year old would. I'm a man, and my statements reflect that.

Its unfortunate that you two "grown" men can't do the same.

Old 11-20-2001, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Right on Steve!! Cal Tracs are where I want to go now. Money is tight now so I may have to run these slapper bars with j-bolts now tack welded to axle tubes for a while longer. If anyone has a set of cal tracs for sell cheap or that they would like to donate to the cause, please let me know!!LOL Steve, looking at my 1/8th mile data compared to yours, it seems like I may still be a little lean at the top of third gear. The car seems to struggle a little in this area. I have two pumps but are using just one because the return line is too small preventing me from getting the fuel pressure down past 9.5psi. I also have a terrible mis-match on the intake to head flange. I will address these issues and try again soon.
Thanks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Closed Thread