Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Default Dissapointed with Ames custoemer support.

I ordered the trim for the rear of the hood for my 72.
It did not fit, it was about 1/4 inch to short. Contact tech support, sent multiple pictures. Jim at tech support confirmed all of them are the same length for this reproduction part.
Suggested I just install it off center so its only off by a small amount on both sides…… Really? No thanks.
They don’t have any others – or any other recourse. This is a relatively inexpensive item, at $59, and $14 for shipping. After a few days of Jim researching the issue, I called back and requested a refund. I did get a return label, and I also stated that I wanted to be refunded the $14 for shipping. That seemed to be really asking too much.

I mentioned that I am a new customer trying to develop a good relationship with this vendor, and Jim the tech said, well you already returned 2 items. Nice…
Well, I did order a box of lug nuts for $35, and guess what? They didn’t fit my car. Sent them back, I ate $18 in shipping to buy and return a $35 item. This trim piece is the second item that catalog said would fit but it doesn’t. So, Jim asks me if it really going to ruin my day not getting this $14 back. No, it work ruin my day, but I think if you send me something that doesn’t fit – and there is no replacement, I should get all of my money back. Jim reluctantly agrees to refund me part of my shipping as there was another item in the same box (Something the size of razor blade taped to the board the chrome strip was attached to for shipping.

Today I was refunded, but just the $59.00

This is not my first project car, and I have purchased products from various vendors over the year’s, never had such a poor experience.

PS – I get am email stating the description of the product :
Part# D107S

Description 1968-72 HOOD MOLDING, STAINLESS (RE)
Net Comments ** THESE ARE 1968-70 STYLE WHICH DO NOT WRAP AROUND THE EDGES OF THE HOOD BUT FIT THE SAME FOR 1971-72 MINUS WRAPPING AROUND THE EDGES LIKE THE ORIGINALS** THIS IS THE STAINLESS STEEL MOLDING THAT GOES AT THE BACK EDGE OF THE HOOD AT THE BASE OF THE WINDSHIELD. AMES RECOMMENDS USING STRIP CAULK OR EQUIVALENT TO HELP ADHERE THIS MOLDING TO THE HOOD. SOME MOLDINGS MAY NEED ADDITIONAL CRIMPING FOR A SNUG FIT.

I found that pretty interesting, as the description in my catalog G34 states something totally different:
D107S – 1968 to 72 Hood read Molding, Stainless Steel (RE)
This new reproduction fits much better than earlier products, quality, very good…..