Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone know how to run this thing?

Phil, a "non-car guy" friend of mine lost his Dad 2 years ago and is finally getting around to cleaning up his Dad's stuff. Apparently his Dad was somewhat of a car guy, maybe 40+ years ago. Phil gave me a bunch of tune up tools in unknown condition. Most of them I've already discarded as busted or passed on to other friends when they were duplicates of mine.

I've been around electronics since Uncle Sugar educated me on fixing autopilots and heading systems on B-52s in 1966. I know how to run an oscilloscope for general electronic troubleshooting and used then until retiring from Hewlett-Packard last year.

This one has me puzzled.

It seems to work. I can get a nice high voltage trace when connected to my GMC. But I don't understand how to use most of the functions shown on the various switch positions. I understand what the function means, just not how to interpret that function on the screen.

I've searched the web using the Sears number 244.2135 on the label on the rear of the unit and only got a hit on one for sale without the test leads in France.

Any chance one of you has a beast like this or more importantly an instruction manual for it?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

Your web links aren't working.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

are now.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been years since I used one,best explanation I've found was this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IGNcoilvoltage-Oscilloscope8964lr.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	369324  

TOM
Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. Another Pontiac guy sent me the instruction manual from his Heathkit ignition scope. It was a different brand, so the switches were all completely different, but the many pages devoted to analyzing the display on the screen directly translated to my scope.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

salem posted a good description/example.

The switch that says "superimposed" will display all 8 cylinders on the same place on the screen, each one on top of the previous as they occur. Helpful for detecting dizzy top bushing wear.
I didn't see a "raster" setting which would display all 8 cylinders at once, in a row or "stack" so you can look at all 8 at once.
The old sun machines had another setting, I think it was called "parade" which would set them all in a line so you can compare peak voltages across the screen. Helpful for checking cylinder health, plug wire health lean conditions etc.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks LAtech. The Heathkit manual signal interpretation section pretty much covered all this stuff and more. I've got it figured out now.