Old 08-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Is the alternator lamp "picky"?

Generic (not Pontiac) question, posted here because quite a few of you seem to know a lot about automotive electrics.

I am converting a 1 wire 10SI alternator system that was on my '52 GMC pickup when I bought it to a 3 wire system. This requires adding an "idiot" light for the alternator system. I have successfully tried a #53 lamp, but I'd like to use something smaller and easier to mount.

Question: Is the idiot lamp very picky? Can I use almost any 12 volt incandescent bulb? I've tried a 12 volt LED which didn't work.

The #53 lamp is used in a lot of dash lamps from back in the 50s and 60s. It is rated at 14 volts and consumes 2 watts.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A .5W or so bulb should be sufficient. The bulb current determines the cut-in speed (when the alt starts to produce output) to some degree. LED's draw about 10mA or so, pretty low.
A .5W bulb draws about 40mA, should help to kick it into operation without creating xtra heat.

George

Old 08-24-2015, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks George. Just the kind of answer I was looking for.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Larger current through the lamp causes lower cut in? My truck idles at 425 RPM. Any reason I couldn't put a 47 ohm resistor in parallel with a low power lamp? That should give about 270 ma flow when the alternator is not charging.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That will work, in fact, OEM harnesses usually have a resistor in parallelel so if the bulb burns out, the alternator will still excite.

George

Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks George.

I settled for a 12v LED indicator from my local parts store. It pulled 15.6 ma which computes to 800 ohms resistance. I added a 200 ohm resistor in parallel with the LED (160 ohms total load, 75 ma current) and all seems to work fine.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hanlon View Post
I added a 200 ohm resistor in parallel with the LED (160 ohms total load, 75 ma current) and all seems to work fine.
Rally cluster cars had this extra resistance built in to the harness, around 150ohm or so to get the alternator to excite so you should be good to go.