Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-05-2014, 03:54 AM

Default Geometry Question

I have never done it, but I need to learn. I am looking for the proper tools needed to check valve to piston clearance. Does anyone sale a kit that has what I would need to be able to perform the job maybe a video. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Old 04-05-2014, 04:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do a search on youtube for "checking piston to valve clearance" a bunch of videos come up.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get some playdough, roll it up into a ball and push it down on each valverelief on one piston. Coat the playdough with some oil so it doesn't get stuck to the valve . Bolt the head on . Set up the exhaust and intake to your lash setting on the piston with the playdough . Turn the motor over by hand. Take the head off and cut the playdough in half where it has the deepest impression and measure it. That number will be your piston to valve clearance...

Work's for me.....

Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The playdough method can work but I always distort the clay cutting it to measure.

I get a dial indicator on the valve Comp has a stand that screws into a valve cover bolt, or if iron heads use a magnetic base. Heads on light spring on valve. Put a degree wheel on the crank and get TDC marked. Then from 20 degree BTDC to ATDC push the valve down until it hits the piston and "map" how much total clearance before the valve hits the piston.That way you have total available clearance for any cam/rocker arm you may ever use. Usually 8-15 degrees BTDC and ATDC are the closest during the valve overlap when exhaust is closing and intake is opening.

Then add a rocker arm, lifter pushrod(lash if solid) and measure total valve lift at all those same degrees on the crank. Total available-total lift at valve with cam= V-P clearance.

Many cam companies have specs on libe lift at specific IC so you can compare a future cam choice and know where you will be.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 04-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Suspended

http://rehermorrison.com/engine-book/

Old 04-06-2014, 03:24 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I just finished using Play-Dough for a similar task. The best measurement scheme for me was poking a piece of tiny wire into the dough, marking the spot on the wire with a fingernail, and then measuring thhe wire end with a dial caliper.
Warning: Play-dough shrinks as it dries out. A few minutes is fine, but not overnight.

Measuring piston-to-valve is a little less work with a dial indicator- no need to remove the head. It's still somewhat of a hassle, though, to swap springs while assuring that you don't drop a valve.

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 04-06-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 AM

I used play dough and a solid lifter.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can also measure it on an assembled head/motor using the dial indicator and one of those lever type valve spring compressors that mount on the stud to open the valve like for changing valve seals on a Chevy.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Taking notes as I get to read the many responses I have received. I did order the book to have references to that and other stuff we could encounter on engine building. We are not pro engine builders by no means but I know we can do it. Thanks to all for the help. I will keep u posted on the results.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default clay

I went to a local art supply store and got a brick of clay for cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P-V.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	359680  

Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Senior Chief

I know it doesn't come across as a 'professional' method, or something new and trick... but I like using Clay. I get a good visual of the outline versus piston brow... from a dynamic sweep of the piston direction versus valve direction.

If you use a razor to slice the clay it doesn't distort it much if any.

It's a good idea to build up the ring land area with tape around the piston to keep it square, so the interference between the valve and clay does not rock the piston and give you a false reading.

Also, as was mentioned smear oil on the valves/chamber and on the clay.

Easy stuff.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did this for the new 455 this weekend, I'll post a picture of my dial indicator fixture. Tightest with a Stump Puller and not even a head gasket was .221 on the intake.

Even with a razor peeling off the other side to measure I stretch out the clay some.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a picture of the dial indicator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0112.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	359985  

Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a quick bit of info, if anyone is thinking of buying the REHER MORRISON CHAMPIONSHIP ENGINE ASSEMBLY BOOK, then simply, DON'T!
I bought it after reading the above link thinking that I may pick up a secret tip or two that would justify the $75 price tag, however it is very,very basic and has no info in it that hasn't been covered in a dozen other books( and even magazine articles) that cost a quarter of the price. Lots of paragraphs saying 'see you engine builder for valvespring selection', 'see your engine builder for camshaft selection', etc etc. Completely misleading advertising blurb, my copy has gone straight on ebay,utter drivel for the money.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
Just a quick bit of info, if anyone is thinking of buying the REHER MORRISON CHAMPIONSHIP ENGINE ASSEMBLY BOOK, then simply, DON'T!
I bought it after reading the above link thinking that I may pick up a secret tip or two that would justify the $75 price tag, however it is very,very basic and has no info in it that hasn't been covered in a dozen other books( and even magazine articles) that cost a quarter of the price. Lots of paragraphs saying 'see you engine builder for valvespring selection', 'see your engine builder for camshaft selection', etc etc. Completely misleading advertising blurb, my copy has gone straight on ebay,utter drivel for the money.
Thanks for the review, I was thinking of buying that book. Now I know not to waste my money.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
While on this subject what is a good advanced engine building book that will highlight most of the high performance or race engine building techniques?

Sorry for the hijack.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
I bought it after reading the above link thinking that I may pick up a secret tip or two that would justify the $75 price tag, however it is very,very basic and has no info in it that hasn't been covered in a dozen other books
I don't know about "secrets", but I disagree said book is "very very basic". LMAO

I own a huge collection and have not seen another book cover piston dome to combustion chamber clearance or "radial valve clearance" correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick67bird View Post
While on this subject what is a good advanced engine building book that will highlight most of the high performance or race engine building techniques?
Yes, I'd be very interested in learning of these "dozen other books"..

Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Suspended

car tech/SA design publication SA 412 " Competition Engine building" by John Baechtel

Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
car tech/SA design publication SA 412 " Competition Engine building" by John Baechtel
Good book. Am I to understand nothing more to be gained by buying Reher Morrison book?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The first 23 pages of the Reher Morrison book explain basic engine operation,how a 4 stroke engine works etc, how much more basic can you get? Anyone who wants to build a 'Championship Race Engine' is not going to need to read all this.And anyone who needs to read all of these basics is not going to be building a Championship Race Engine of any sort in the near future. I have a childrens Ladybird series book that covers this basic sort of thing! I'm not putting down anyone who has to learn these things(we all had to start somewhere) but they don't need to spend $75 on a book to do it,books that explain the basics are available in any public library for free.
Other books that are better value for money? Four stroke performance tuning by A.Graham Bell, The Chevrolet Racing Engine by Bill Jenkins, John Lingenfelter on modifying Small Block Chevy Engines, Smokey Yunicks Power Secrets,Pontiac High Performance by HO Racing ,How to build max performance Pontiac V-8's by Jim Hand,Chevy Performance by John Michelsen,How to Hot Rod Small Block Chevys by HP books, How to rebuild Pontiac V8's by Rocky Rotella,John Baechtel's book as mentioned above, David Vizard has also written a large selection of good high performance books and there are a thousand websites detailing virtually every aspect of engine rebuilding-a massive library at your fingertips!
What's not out there are the 'secret' little details and tips,the methods that the Stock class boys use to make an iron head engine run 9's,last years Pro Stock secrets, the tricks that the Engine Masters builders use,etc. Even Reher Morrisons own website tutorials contain better info,for free!