Old 05-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Senior Chief

Default Seat Back Removal - 64 Bonneville Convertible

I am trying to remove the rear seat back in my 64 Bonneville Convertible in order to replace one of the top cylinders. The 64 Body Shop Manual says that "on convertibles, remove 2 screws securing the seat back to the floor panel..." When I removed the seat cushion, I noticed that there aren't any screws attaching the back to the floor pans. Instead, there are 2 U shaped pieces of heavy wire that are firmly in brackets that are part of the floor. After removing the screws on the back that attach the side compartment trim, how does the back come off? Do I just push up on it...what about the rear speaker that's located in the seat back...I couldn't see where to disconnect it..?

Thanks for your help.

Vince

Old 05-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bend the brackets up (if it's that type) and lift the seat back up off the clips. After it is off the upper clips, you can tilt it forward and unplug the wires from the speaker.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '61 Bonneville had the brackets, like Steve said I would just bend them up far enough to release the seat and then bend them back in place when it was reinstalled.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Senior Chief

Steve and Stuart: Thanks for your reply and info. I didn't pay too much attention to the brackekts that the U shaped parts are in but from what I remember seeing, I'm surprised the brackets can be easily bent...the U shaped wire appears to be pretty tight and fully in the bracket, not leaving much room for them to be bent.

Vince

Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't speak with authority on the brackets on a 1964 car, but as I recall on my 1961 they were just U-shaped flat pieces of sheet metal. I pried them up with a screwdriver, just enough so the seat would unhook.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Senior Chief

OK Stuart, thanks. I'll take another look at it and let you know if I have succes following the advise that you and Steve gave me. Thanks again for your help.

Vince

Old 05-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Vince, if you could post a picture of your bracket, we can see if we are giving you the proper advice.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Vince, if you could post a picture of your bracket, we can see if we are giving you the proper advice.
Thank you, Steve. I will do that.

Vince

Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Vince, found this in my files. It's a 1963 Catalina Convertible with the area in question. You can see the mounts that the back seat has to slide off and the front screw extensions that the seat back attach to.. I assume that the '63 and '64 convertibles are the same. Don't mind the yellow tape and other trash in the picture.

Push it up and carefully disconnect the speaker wire from the rear speaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear seat backing view.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	322287  

Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Senior Chief

Ziggy,

Thanks for the pic and information. I'm not so sure I have the same set-up as what your pic shows...I don't recall seeing the front screw extensions where the seat back attaches...I don't remember seeing any screws there. If I get a chance, I will pull the seat out tonight and compare with your photo. Thanks for your assitance.

Vince

Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Senior Chief

Please see the attached photo. I don't see how I can bend the bracket, as Steve and Stuart suggested. The bracket appears to be welded to the floor. I tried to squeeze the wire loop together thinking it might release from the bracket, but no luck. I can't get the the seat back to budge.

Thanks.

Vince
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Seat.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	322903  

Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never seen that!

Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New to me as well. I assume you have to somehow push the whole seat back up to release it.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
I have never seen that!
Well, Steve, now you can see what I mean...there's no way to pry the bracket. I tried pushing, pulling, swearing, praying, but in the end, I still can't get he seat back removed. By the way, the boot is attached to the back of the chrome trim that is located on the top of the seat back. I don't see anywhere in the manual where it says the boot needs to be removed, so I did not remove the screws that attacht he boot...I don't think this is my problem.

Thanks.

Vince

Old 05-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Senior Chief

it looks like there is a screw in the bracket, if there is take it out. my 2 pontiacs do not look like that. it has the metal you bend up.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know nothing about this but...

I would put some penetrating elixir of some kind down in there and then put a spacer (a nut or something) under the bottom of the loop of the wire and use a pry bar to push the bottom of the loop up and out of the bracket. If there is a screw then it will hit it on the way and you will know to remove it. Could be that rust and tension are conspiring to hold that wire in there.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the additional comments and suggestions. What I thought would be a 10 minute job is now going on 10 days...got to love this hobby!

The bracket is affixed (welded, I guess) to the floor. I thouroughly checked and did not see any screws, however using a mirror, I'll check again for any visible obstruction in the bracket. I'm thinking in the same line as Deadhead and that maybe the rust and corrosion might be inhibiting any movemnet. I will wire brush the area, and hit it with some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench, and then try to pry up the loop.
With all the experience and knowledge of those who responded, I'm surprised that no one has seen this before...could it be the unique work of the Linden assembly plant? Thanks again for your help...I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Vince

Old 05-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Try This......

Can't say for sure if this will be the same on your Pontiac, but over here I had a 1978 Holden Caprice. The back seat was held in EXACTLY like what you have shown in the pictures.

Method to remove it is to push the seat top (at the package tray level) BACK and at the same time grasp the bottom of the seat and lift it straight up.

The top of the seat hooks over a small bracket. Pushing it back towards the rear of the car allows the seat to slip upwards.

Just remember that when the car was new, coming down the line, almost surely there would have been two operators installing the seat. One each side. So if there is only one person trying to remove it AND its been in there a long time, it stands to reason it will be difficult to budge.

Try that method and let us know how you go

Ian

Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I agree - the loop gets located inside the tack-welded-on sheet metal retainer - almost like you would set it into the retailer and then tighten down screws (located elsewhere) if anything.

Also keep in mind that your car may (and probably does) differ from the manual (which was released before production changes took place)...there is a bulletin publication called "Service Craftsman News" that may announce a running change like this, including the procedure to deal with it.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Senior Chief

Heybuck: I'll definitely give your suggestion a try...THANKS.
Matt: You are correct since my car was built in the second week of Dec '63.

Thanks for your help.

Vince