Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Senior Chief

Default Which direction to turn manual brake adjuster??

Dragged in a derelict (what ??? another one??).

I cant remember how to LOOSEN the manual brake adjusters. I have the correct tool, do I insert it with the hand held end up & pull down???

Every thing is stuck & I may have to try to heat through the adjuster holes so I need to be quick & sure about my movements.

I know the L & R adjusters make it the same on both sides.

PJH

Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can never remember either so I had to look it up - this is from a 1957 shop manual on Safari Larry's website ( http://www.pontiacsafari.com/ ) but it should be the same for all years: Insert tool in slot until it engages star wheel on adjusting screw and move outer end of tool upward to expand brake shoes. So, going the other way will loosen them.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IF the adjusters are installed correctly (one is right hand thread, the other left thread) - as Stuart said, turn the wheel down, but you'll have to insert a skinny flat-blade screw driver into the slot also to hold the stop back to allow the star wheel to rotate freely both ways.

The way the adjuster is set up, the stop is designed to only allow the adjuster to to turn to expand the brakes only.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot about the self adjusters, but that will depend on what year the derelict is. I don't have them in my car, I don't think they came along until 1963.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Senior Chief

This is a '62, and you are correct that the self adjusters came along in '63.......one of the first things we took off our '63 SD cars.

PJH