THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy GM is down sizing again. No RHD???

GM is closing their Australian manufacturing in October this year. No more Australian made GM cars!!!

Now we read that they are pulling out of India and South Africa. Both are RHD countries. Selling their manufacturing plants to the French and to Isuzu.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/201...ica/329280001/

Where will it end??? Ford are doing it tough in India yet India was predicted to have huge growth potential only a few years ago.

The rise and rise of the Japanese and European manufacturers seems to be relentless but long established American brands seem to be contracting all the time rather than aggressively rising to the challenge.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It simply comes down to the market is either not there or GM can't compete with other manufacturers. Either price-wise or style-wise, people aren't buying their cars for a reason and it's enough to put the hurt on them.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...them kids can't/won't get Drivers Licenses?

Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I say prices have a lot to do with it. There is no way I could afford a new car. Whether it be GM, Ford, or any other make. Retirement and a fixed income sucks. Thank God my 2000 Jeep GC is still alive and well... so far. Knock on Wood!

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yup..i forsee a downturn in the auto industry. as soon as ford announced mgt cuts a couple of weeks ago I told my buddy "you watch--gm and Chrysler will be right behind with cuts" how deep the cuts go is anyones guess..but with the way the housing and muscle car mkts have been..lordy!

Old 05-22-2017, 10:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

With the way the new car prices have escalated over the past 5 years, it's no wonder why sales have declined. There is no way that I will drop $40K or more on a new truck or $60K on a new SUV. Especially here in the rust belt where a new car looks like hell before it's even paid for.

My 2006 Silverado is just about to turn 100,000 miles, but the road salt has really taken its toll on the sheet metal. The rocker panels are rotted through and the bed is rusting through above the wheel arches. As much as I would like to upgrade, the prices will keep me driving mine for a while.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:31 PM
Suspended

$28.6 million dollars

http://fortune.com/2016/04/22/mary-b...eneral-motors/

$1.9 million dollars
(Is that substandard pay in the US or Ozzland?)

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...for-lowest-pay

It's not even the tip of the icebeg because it continues down the corporate food chain. No one has ever overpaid me on my life. I love to buy American, but I'm not overpaying 28-to-1 to buy American.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's insane what a new car cost today. A Tahoe which is today's station wagon (drive daily, tow a boat, take the entire family) is 50-60k. That's just dumb. How do you justify paying that? I know I couldn't...

Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs69 View Post
With the way the new car prices have escalated over the past 5 years, it's no wonder why sales have declined. There is no way that I will drop $40K or more on a new truck or $60K on a new SUV. Especially here in the rust belt where a new car looks like hell before it's even paid for.

My 2006 Silverado is just about to turn 100,000 miles, but the road salt has really taken its toll on the sheet metal. The rocker panels are rotted through and the bed is rusting through above the wheel arches. As much as I would like to upgrade, the prices will keep me driving mine for a while.
Could not agree more!!! I just sold my '03 Silverado back in Feb. and mine rusted out in the same areas as yours. It still ran pretty good with 160k on it but the rust was bad. Hated to part with it because I was the original owner but I hated to watch it deteriorate any further. Been looking at used ones because I can't stomach buying a brand new one. I have not had car payments for about 10 yrs now and I like it!

Sad to see GM slide further as the original poster said. Losing the Pontiac brand was bad enough but if there is one thing constant in life.....it's change.

1971 Lemans Post
Old 05-23-2017, 04:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With figures quoted in these articles showing the remuneration these CEO's are reportedly taking home, its no wonder the general populace is turning against major manufacturers. We are in no small way contributing to their lifestyle by the prices we are having to pay for product.

How GM can justify paying Mary Barra those figures against what Toyota is paying is nothing short of an obscenity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post
$28.6 million dollars

http://fortune.com/2016/04/22/mary-b...eneral-motors/

$1.9 million dollars
(Is that substandard pay in the US or Ozzland?)

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...for-lowest-pay

It's not even the tip of the icebeg because it continues down the corporate food chain. No one has ever overpaid me on my life. I love to buy American, but I'm not overpaying 28-to-1 to buy American.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:30 PM

I agree. I have thought that the idea that they run special discounts and dealer incentives, etc., etc., to the tune of $8-10K off of MSRP for vehicles tells the story in quick order. My Dad's dad came over on the boat and worked a lifetime for Chrysler, and I still have relatives working UAW jobs. I hope they get the time in to retire soon and they get all they were promised for a retirement.

Chemnick

Old 05-24-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post
those are ridiculous compensation figures!! no one should make those type of salaries when you have working class people producing the actual product day to day. corporate greed at it's finest. this after GM nearly went bankrupt and had to be bailed out by the taxpayers. how 'bout a little interest on the loan instead??

'86 951
'05 V70R
Old 05-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemnick View Post
I agree. I have thought that the idea that they run special discounts and dealer incentives, etc., etc., to the tune of $8-10K off of MSRP for vehicles tells the story in quick order. My Dad's dad came over on the boat and worked a lifetime for Chrysler, and I still have relatives working UAW jobs. I hope they get the time in to retire soon and they get all they were promised for a retirement.

Chemnick
Therein lies the problem. The rise in healthcare costs and the low interest rates have forced these companies to subsidize the pension funds. GM has 2.5 pensioners for every active worker. This model is not sustainable for any entity, public or private, and I fear that many Americans will never collect the benefits that they were promised. Take care of yourselves folks, and don't rely on a promise.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:20 AM

Wait, are you saying GM is closing Holden, the ones who gave us the Pontiac G8 GT and GXP? When Pontiac closed, I wasn't too upset, as they were, with only a few exceptions, cookie cutters of Chevy: same engines, body panels, etc. I was sad to see the Pontiac name go, but took comfort that Holden was still making kick ass rear wheel drive v-8s with style. Forgive me if I got my facts wrong. I'm not entirely familiar with the Australian division.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up A-MEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs69 View Post
...Take care of yourselves folks, and don't rely on a promise.
^---THIS---^

Old 05-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^^___THAT__^^

Saturn, Olds, Pontiac, AUS-Holden, affordability all out of play.

Old Saturns, resto-V8 Fieros, Classic Pontiacs, used G8s etc, cash transactions completely in play.

Like I say to close others; good decisions are easy.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Speaking of pensions, I hope the UAW doesn't do what the Teamsters are doing to us. They've wasted so much money, including millions given out to Presidential candidates, that they are now cutting our pension benefits as they say they're almost broke. And maybe getting out of the pension plan completely. Everything is up to what happens with their plan and what the government does. We could lose 30 to 80% of what we get now. Those of us on medical disability retirement are supposedly safe, but if they hand everything over to the government to control we are all scrod.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.