Old 08-11-2022, 05:36 PM

Default Do re-installed used OEM gears need breaking in?

I just put a 12 bolt in my 65 GTO that was assembled using a 65 Chevelle housing, a used set of OEM 3.31 gears I bought on ebay, and a new Eaton TrueTrac. The assembler who owns a local respected differential shop said the gears were “cherry” and did not need breaking in, in his opinion. Initial driving impression is good and noise seems minimal. I was wondering if people here, based on their experience, think they would need any kind of break in period? Thank you in advance for your reply.

The Following User Says Thank You to bob prichard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the gears were already broken in they don't need to be broken in again. They just need set up as close as possible to the way they were when broken in. We have transplanted tons of factory gears with no problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
If the gears were already broken in they don't need to be broken in again. They just need set up as close as possible to the way they were when broken in. We have transplanted tons of factory gears with no problems.
Thank you. That is what I was hoping to hear.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob prichard View Post
...and noise seems minimal...
So they are not quite set up exactly as before. Might not be a bad idea to at least keep the maximum speed and the duration of the drives a little conservative. This will allow the areas of contact that have changed a little time to polish and bed in.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
So they are not quite set up exactly as before. Might not be a bad idea to at least keep the maximum speed and the duration of the drives a little conservative. This will allow the areas of contact that have changed a little time to polish and bed in.
Ok, thank you.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Side-lash variation for re-installation is likely no matter at all.
Pinion-Depth is all the matter, yet being a sliding-contact allows a minor variation in pinion depth, but not much. I dunno how little or much.

Reverse can reveal some noise, which if set-up good for Forward, will clear up...with wear.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Side-lash variation for re-installation is likely no matter at all.
Pinion-Depth is all the matter, yet being a sliding-contact allows a minor variation in pinion depth, but not much. I dunno how little or much.

Reverse can reveal some noise, which if set-up good for Forward, will clear up...with wear.
Thanks for your response. So far it seems to be ok.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been running used GM 3.36 gears in my 3.55 case since 1990. No issues.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I've been running used GM 3.36 gears in my 3.55 case since 1990. No issues.
Before going to the 12 bolt, I had had two sets of aftermarket gears installed in my original 8.2. They all became very noisy after a few hundred miles. Rather than go for a third try, I went for the 12 bolt with used OEM gears, all of which I bought from different people, after trying to find NOS gears for a few years. After my previous experiences, I have been skeptical of all gears and those who install them, that’s why I was asking others for their experience. So far, these are good. I also think that my original 8.2 housing may have had internal problems that prevented newly installed gears from keeping their settings.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When the gear "sets" are ground, they are then " lapped" in so the wear surfaces are correct and can handle the power. After that they are then cleaned and Parkerized so they look " unused" , but they have been run in at factory, and our job is to duplicate those angles and preload as we run them. I just did a 12 bolt with used 3.31 gears that were very used. It was tricky getting it close, but not too tight. Finding 3.31 gears isn't easy, or wasn't a year ago. You'll be fine as long as the pinion seal was spaced correctly

Old 08-12-2022, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So did the factory go through any sort of break in once the rear was in the car prior to delivery, or just the typical easy driving for 500 miles or so once you got it?

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share

Last edited by jhein; 08-12-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At the gear and axle plant, They have this machine and I cant remember the name off the top of my head. Its after assembly, and before brakes and its on an arm has a rubber yoke engage and spins the rear and its inspected for leaks and noise. Keep in mind, the gears are already worn " lapped" in when made. The factory gears never got parkerized but I think they were Tuftrited, but I am Not 100% on that. They did get a hardening though.

Old 08-14-2022, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob prichard View Post
Before going to the 12 bolt, I had had two sets of aftermarket gears installed in my original 8.2. They all became very noisy after a few hundred miles. Rather than go for a third try, I went for the 12 bolt with used OEM gears, all of which I bought from different people, after trying to find NOS gears for a few years. After my previous experiences, I have been skeptical of all gears and those who install them, that’s why I was asking others for their experience. So far, these are good. I also think that my original 8.2 housing may have had internal problems that prevented newly installed gears from keeping their settings.
I had Larry Woltzen of California Differential do the work and he was at the time, and likely still is (he relocated) a real pro who has been doing this for decades. I personally would not have undertaken the gear change myself. And I'm an ASE certified Master auto tech.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default breakin

When I redid my rear. I reused my low mileage 3:08 gears and replaced the open carrier
with an Auburn Posi. All new bearings were installed, including pinion and axle bearings.
I did go easy on it for a few hundred miles and followed Auburns instructions for break-in
of posi. Differential has been quiet for 10 years now.

Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
The Following User Says Thank You to 68 Firebird For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shockproof rear fluid/lube by Redline eliminates wear. Eliminates...

Old 08-15-2022, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Shockproof rear fluid/lube by Redline eliminates wear. Eliminates...
/\/\/\/\/\/\ FACT!! Great stuff !