Old 07-03-2022, 03:56 PM

Default Sniper dead

I got flatbeded home yesterday .

I was in a parkinglot idling, got my burger order, put the car in Drive and the car shut off. Looking at the handheld screen it was all red with error on all sensors.

Keyed off, and keyed back on, no fuelpump prime, and searching for ecu in handheld screen. checked the 30 amp fuse, it had blown. I had a spare fuse in the car, so i turned ignition off, replaced the fuse and keyed on, same thing searcing for ecu. Checked the new fuse and it was intact.
Checked wiring pink from ignition and heavy red and black to battery all intact and no loose connectors in 7-pin connector or loose crimps at battery.
Verified power to pins in 7-pin connector.
took SD card out of handeheld and tried again, no luck. Tried unplugging handheld, no luck. tried hooking up laptop with usb to canbus and sync, no ecu found.

So my theory is that someting in the ecu is fried or solder has come loose. since it happend the excact moment the the car jolted forward when going from park to drive.

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++
Old 07-03-2022, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well that sucks, sorry for your troubles. Have heard a few stories of sudden death on these units. The whole ecu inside a metal block on top of the engine seems a less than desirable set up to me. Hopefully they'll warranty it for you.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:38 PM

I will confirm if i can get warranty or cant get it (purchase date April 12 2019) 90 day warranty + 1 year extended by regestering the product so i guess i am out of luck. still going to try. if i get denied, ill dismount the ecu and take it apart looking for a loose solderpoint to either ground or positive leads , and cross my fingers that i dont see a burnt PCB.

and maybe take my chance on this shady web store: https://www.agshopb.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=37295

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++
Old 07-03-2022, 06:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not to be that guy but the ecu letting go didn’t blow a 30 amp fuse so kiss the warranty idea so long. Something shorted and the ecu fried before the fuse blew… bummer big time.
Hopefully you can get it sorted.

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 07-03-2022, 07:38 PM

If it was a short, would that not blow the new fuse too?

Old 07-04-2022, 08:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djustice View Post
If it was a short, would that not blow the new fuse too?
Well, it didn’t just “let go”. Something put greater than 30 amps through that line or the commensurate amount of resistance/ heat to melt the fuse.
Very well could be something that’s intermittent or “brewing”. I chased an issue where my engine would intermittently decide it didn’t want to shut off. Weeks of trouble shooting including replacement of key switch ect. Finally grabbed a thermal imager camera and found a mass of melted wires right after the engine bay wire harness block. Would never have found it without the camera. Point is, we know several things. 1. A 30 line fuse blew leading to a micro processor. 2. That micro processor is now wonky. 3. Power spikes and or heat kill micro processors. 4. Micro processor’s don’t create electrical charges.
Coincidence? Perhaps but I would focus my attention on your work, not the company’s.
Hope you get yourself up and running soon!
Happy 4th!

Flowcooler water pump.

Last edited by lfdsteve; 07-04-2022 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there any large load that passes through the ECU on the way to something else, like fuel pump? Just thinking maybe a short in something like fuel pump wiring that passes through a solid state relay in the ECU might trash the ECU at the same time as the relay ... short still there but ECU no longer passing it to the fuse.

Just guessing.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:29 AM

There is a fuelpump Relay rigth by the fuse, but i can take out the relay to avoid fuelpump prime. and still have comunication with ecu, but good thinking.
And as far as that shady webstore i linked above, it most likley is a scam site, i got tripple charged on my creditcard after trying to place 1 order. i got "transaction failed, try again" popup on site, but the i got charged on my credit card for 3 orders. going to dispute them as i did screenshot the whole process. I guess it was too good to be true.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

On the FiTech side, typically when this occurs it is related to the ECU grounding on the unit itself. The Sniper should be similar in that the ECU is grounded internally to the unit case. If the physical ground wiggled loose, this can fry the ECU and pop the fuse.

Old 07-05-2022, 01:20 PM

The sop that sol it to me got back to me just now. He had contacted holley and relayed my story. the only thing that they could tink off that i had not done yet was to pull the fuelpump relay and see if i get a connection, but nope, still no contact with the ECU.

The holley tech also said they where out of replacment ecu's due to supply shortage and could not give an eta on service time ( i need to ship it from norway to usa, and back again) and seeing as i am out of waranty, i'll unplug the connectors and take the whole TBI unit inside, take off the ecu and look for damaged cables going in out of the ecu. especially the 7 pin connector. i have a 12V battery that i could jerry rig a power and ground to, and hook up either a laptop or the handheld screen and see if i can bring it to life. got low hopes, but no other option either.

And from pictures it looks like the ecu is potted, so not much probing to be done other than a loose or pinched wire at the cover, but heres to hoping.

The Following User Says Thank You to djustice For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djustice View Post
The sop that sol
Wow! that is bad, need to check that my bluetooth keyboard is putting out all words i type in the future.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hehehe I was wondering what that meant.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:17 PM

Update!
I posted in the facebook efi owner's group, no answer for 3 days til today where one person had the same issue as me, he said his 02 sensor wiring had chafed off and was rubbing against shifter linkage.
Well i did think it was pretty far fetched that it would cause an comunication problem with the ecu, but i tried it, could not fish up the connector as i have it bundeled up and ziptied to the side of the transmisson, and flatbed dumped the car off at a gravel parkinglot. but i could fish the wiring down to the connector over to the center of transmisson tunnel. lo and behold i got connection to the ECU and fuelprime worked! started rigth up and reads afr correctly as set in the afr table!!

Obviously i have to ease the car over to a paved surface and jack it up to access the damage to the afr cable, and maybe get a new if it is a major tear.
But so relived and in disbelief that a damaged 02 sensor cable can cause an ecu total shutdown.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good news. Sounds like it's designed that way for safety. Probably the majority of people rely on the auto tune nature of these systems and the loss of feedback could cause catastrophic damage is some cases. It would be interesting to test if the auto tune can be turned off, and if in that case the O2 sensor feedback isn't mandatory.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great news!

Flowcooler water pump.
The Following User Says Thank You to lfdsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 03:45 PM

There is an option in the software to limit by %, from 50-0% correction on both closed loop and learn if you enable learn and enable closed loop by the check-box. you can also uncheck both checkboxes. i have learn and closed loop enabled, but limited learn from 0- 79 KPA by 20% max correction just in case an 02 sensor malfunctions so i can get home. Guess that do not include wiring fault/damage to the sensor.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

20% is still a truckload. It would definitely want the feedback under those circumstances.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:12 PM

Yes 20% is a lot, i could probably slash that down to 10 to be on a safer side, but since the tune is still new to the changed engine combo, and i am tweaking the AFR table i'll have to drive a little bit more under varying tempratures and load and over a broader range of the VE map before i set it to 10%.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No doubt. I wasn't criticizing. Does Holley allow you to auto tune from a datalog? I've found that to be super helpful on mine. I've about left it behind though. Using the ego correction numbers and modifying the cell values by that has eventually won out over other methods. This after getting things close. I do have an AFR safety to shut the engine down if it goes lean though...

Old 07-06-2022, 04:42 PM

To be honest i dont know, there is still a lot i can learn about the system there is a lot of sub-menues i have not dived into, and all input is valuable to me. Thank you for suggestions, it means a lot
I know i can overlay a datalog over the fuel/VE table while still tabbing between the data log and VE map, that can help me identify troublesome cells where i in turn can alter values, but not automatically as i am aware.

My dream is to get the car on a dyno, preferably a hub dyno and disable closed loop and learn then "drive it" and apply varying brake load to simulate load and tune the an 8x8 area of cells at a time where the engine produces the most torque with a given LB/h rate of fuel, then ignition advance, to really dial in the table.
As for heavy loads i have to be over 37-3800 rpm as the converter kicks down.