Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-25-2022, 05:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default irritating squeaking from front right fender area

I have a very loud squeaking when I push down on the passenger side front fender. It is just a squeak squeak very loud sound. I have greased everything I can find to grease. I have sprayed WD40 on everything that moves to no avail. On shop told me that it sounds like it is coming from the spring. He said that the front springs should have a rubber cushion on the tops of them that prevents them from squeaking. So my question is are there suppose to be the rubber cushion on the front springs.

Any suggestions on what to grease or what to do to stop the squeaking will be appreciated. PS everything is new in the suspension area.

thanks
alan

Old 07-25-2022, 06:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if you don't have these Coil Spring Insulators installed it's most likely your problem, takes one per side on top of the spring.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/..._wcB&gclsrc=aw.

Frank

Old 07-25-2022, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those isolators go on the lower control arms. Front springs have a pigtail on top that engages a hole on the upper spring mount.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The ones I posted actually go on the back coil springs, I don't think the factory used insulators on the front.

You are correct, the front spring gets indexed, there is a spot in the upper frame as well as the A arm.

Frank

Old 07-25-2022, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

upper control arm bushings ??

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Thelander For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2022, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had the same squeak and discovered it was the top shock mount rubber, I needed to tighten down the shock top nut a few extra turns and squeak stopped. I do have coil overs thou, but the shocks mount the same.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I worked on the grease rack at the local Pontiac dealer in 1970 we would occasionally get a car with the same symptoms you're describing. The fix would be to take a siphon gun connected to some ATF in a container, and spray it up and over the upper, and lower spring seats. This application would silence it for awhile, eventually as the car was operated during rainy periods it would wash off from water splashed up from the tires. Of course it's messy, and will drip for a day or two wherever you park the car.

There is a rubber washer that is supposed to be between the top of the spring, and the frame seat when the spring is installed at the factory. Many people don't put them back in when replacing springs, or if you don't use a little bit of tape to hold it in place they slip out, or aren't seated properly when the spring is pushed up into the frame pocket.

I use a couple wraps of electrical tape to hold them in place when I change springs. The washers are made of a piece of rubber that is about the same as a piece of inner tube, and I'm sure if you cut one from an old inner tube, and taped it as the spring was installed it would work as well as the factory part.

Those are the 2 things I know that will help with a squeaking spring, hope that helps you silence it whichever way you decide to try.

The parts place lists them for $17 per pair, https://www.ebay.com/itm/35214771368...8aAoh_EALw_wcB

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2022, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Front spring insulators were not installed during regular production GTO's or any other 60's A Body GM far as I know. That's not to say the OP might not benefit from them.

If the sound is coming from the front end due to the spring, I would say it's from improper indexing rather than insulators. Possibly something like Ozzmann suggested.

Frank

Last edited by 4zpeed; 07-25-2022 at 09:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4zpeed For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 03:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Front coil indexing.
1964-68 check coil end at upper spring seat.
1969 and later check coil end at lower control arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 Front coil.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	594982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front coil 1969.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	594983  

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 07-26-2022, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

loosen up the saddle brackets on your front sway bar see if it changes

Old 07-26-2022, 09:15 AM

I spent a week looking for the metal can of bolts someone must have stashed in the car!!! Never found it so I turned up the radio. It amazingly stopped. I think?
At first this seems funny. Then you realize you have an old can and stuff squeaks. A lot. My rule is simple... If it grinds or sounds "bad" I find it. If it is rhythmic from something turning or spinning I investigate it. If it only happens when things go bump... I ignore it!

Old 07-26-2022, 09:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Given that it is an old car, Id check for cracks in the frame. I had a similar issue and even after replacing everything you could replace, it was still there. After welding this up, all was good.

Youd be surprised how bad some of those factory welds can be.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 73LeMans For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found that sometimes its from the fender and the wheel well where there bolted together around the tire at the outer lip . Did you check for loose bolts in this area. The sound might be body related .. Something else to check.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
The ones I posted actually go on the back coil springs, I don't think the factory used insulators on the front.

You are correct, the front spring gets indexed, there is a spot in the upper frame as well as the A arm.

Frank
Still trying to get my head around how your suggestion of rear spring isolators is going to solve a front end squeek, but I digress. I run aftermarket front control arms which have a polyurethane insulator in the lower control arms.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Since one shop told him the springs should have "rubber cushions" on top of them, I suspected they were talking about the rear springs.

At the end of his post he wrote "So my question is are there suppose to be the rubber cushion on the front springs", my thoughts were no.

When you posted there should be and mentioned the pigtail, that's when I reconsidered and commented they may not be indexed.

Frank

Old 07-26-2022, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of potential causes for a front end squeek. If it was a Ford product the most likely suspect is the upped control arm bushings. If you spray some WD40 or silicone into the bushings, don't over-look the sway bar support bushings. I had a slight squeek in my front end which turned out to be a couple loose fender well bolts the paint shop forgot to tighten, the center ones installed up from below.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't feed your cat all day, then lock the cat in the garage with the car overnight.

Leave a roll of dental floss around for the cat

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Many good thoughts have already been posted. Cracked frames, loose inner fenders, springs, etc.

ALL rubber or Polyurethane bushings are suspect, INCLUDING the body bushings, sway-bar bushings and end-links, shock bushings, control-arm bushings.

Potentially, the wear-indicators on the disc brake pads--pushing on the fender may also be rocking the vehicle back and forth somewhat.

Drive the car up on ramps, have someone else push on the fender, YOU need to crawl under/beside the car and try to pinpoint the squeak.

Old 07-27-2022, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmann View Post
I had the same squeak and discovered it was the top shock mount rubber, I needed to tighten down the shock top nut a few extra turns and squeak stopped. I do have coil overs thou, but the shocks mount the same.
X2! Spray some silicone on it see if it goes away

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 07-31-2022, 09:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well I did spray wd40 up on the top of the spring and the squeak did go away for about 5 seconds. So I took the spring out, not an easy job, and looked for anything out of place, nothing. Looked for where the spring might be rubbing but did not see anything. I did not use the rubber cushion I bought because it was way too small. I think only the back spring have the rubber cushions. So I taped a very thing piece of rubber to the top of the spring and then put grease on top of the rubber. Put it all back together and it did not squeak. Job well done. The next day I took the car for a drive. Well as soon as I pulled out of the driveway and turned left I heard a pop. Went back to the garage and the squeak was back. So what is going on and what did I do wrong??
Thanks agian