Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBF823 View Post

In my opinion, it's a man made problem, and the breed should be eliminated. I'm a pet lover, those aren't pets, they're pack mentality animals that need to be systematically eliminated.

As far as I know, if you ever want the respect of a pit that isn't your dog, beat the snot out of it the second you first see it, regardless of that pit's behavior at the time - tail wagging and all. It's an animal that should always be viewed as hostile regardless of a temporary impression.
i agree with the 2nd paragraph, except i let them show teeth or grow then its on, but yup sometimes its a matter of showing whos boss that can be with just about any dog.

it is a manmade proplem thats for sure, but eliminated is a little extreme, ive never really considered them pack mentalitied animals by any means usually there more anti social imo, accorse there was a bunch of stray muts around here a few years back made up of several different breeds none of them aggressive breeds but they all packed up and eventuallty attacked some kid pretty bad a young kid

Old 09-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"i have to disagree, its in pit bulls bloodline to have the ''potential'' to be aggressive,even if its only once in a while.
people make them mean because its in their nature more so than other breeds
their an accident looking for an opportunity to happen"

+1

My neice was nearly killed by a female Pit about 10 years ago. She was at a family reunion, and the dog was gentle and played with all the kids all day long. For some unknown reason, late in the day, it grabbed her by the throat and would NOT let go. She nearly bled to death from the injuries.

The dog was around 7 years old nearly as I can remember, had been around infants and small childrens it's entire life, with zero issues at any level before that incident.

Looks like it's difficult to get around the basic laws of breeding and predatory instincts that is in that particular bloodline.

I agree with the insurance companies on this one, as much as I love dogs, that particular breed has enough "history" to make them a liability.....Cliff
I am with you, do you all remember the girl that was killed in new york?

Old 09-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by triathlonx13 View Post
OK - Let's band everything. Stop shaving - the razor is sharp.

I respect each and everyone views on PitBulls... like anything else. But for the insurance companies hiking up the costs insanely.. well - that's just not right and not based on any real data... again - all media hype.

I had a chow and had to hid it also.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"They haven't attempted the fence in quite some time since I started punching and kicking them."

Try some Law Enforcment grade pepper spray. I hit the neighbors mean as hell Austrailan Shepard once, about 4 years ago when it wondered over onto my property and attacked my Min Pin. It hasn't returned yet! Next time it's gets a round or two from my .38 caliber revolver.

"I am with you, do you all remember the girl that was killed in new york?"

Did hear about that one, but Pit Bull attacks are common in this area. Can't remember any deaths from an attack, but they get plenty of publicity, probably due to the breed and bad reputation they have in general.....Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oak Tree Photos 008.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	218805  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I turn down renters because of their animals. Just this week turned down a pit bull owner. I dont do rotweilers chows or any large aggresive dog but it seems renters like them a lot.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
I turn down renters because of their animals. Just this week turned down a pit bull owner. I dont do rotweilers chows or any large aggresive dog but it seems renters like them a lot.

Had to do the same thing. Several times. Insurance is all about risk. It has nothing to do with greed or corruption. Personal injury and wrongful death is very expensive, we all know that. It is no different than car insurance. The more tickets you have, the higher the risk. I dont know pit bulls. I know what I hear and what I've seen. No doubt they can be loveable animals and just about any animal can snap but once you get a rep, it is hard to shake it.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Saw it on the history Channel. "When good pets go bad."
"When animals attack".
Dogs DON'T attack for no reason. They perceive some kind of threat, asserting dominance, are annoyed by something OR they are trained to do it. Sometimes you run across one that has mental problems(just like humans) from inbreading.
The pit does more damage BECAUSE of their jaw strength(that's why they're so popular in fighting circles) and they don't seem to quit untill whatever they go after is dead.
That quote from the history channel about Golden Retrivers has tto be MEDIA BULLCRAP Been around them most of my life. There the number 1 service dog-Seeing Eye-Therapy dogs that are allowed in hospitals

Old 09-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't think that Golden Retrievers can't have a "dark side". Mine 97lb male is a great dog, he runs loose on our property and is very gentle.....unless you come around at night and he doesn't know you or perceives you as a threat. The last dummy who attempted to gain access to my house thru the walkout basement is still running someplace!

I turned Joe Joe loose on him, and he was literally pulling pieces of this guy as he made his escape.

Some friends of ours tried to toilette paper our house last summer, he had them up on top of their vehicle to get away from him, when I came to their rescue!.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
That quote from the history channel about Golden Retrivers has tto be MEDIA BULLCRAP Been around them most of my life. There the number 1 service dog-Seeing Eye-Therapy dogs that are allowed in hospitals
You have to realize what statistic they are talking about. They are talking about the shear number of dog bites reported, not the percentage of the breed that has bitten.

There are more GRs than any other breed in America. Probably by far. It stands to reason that a certain percentage of them have bitten, so simply their massive numbers will slant the overall bite numbers.

Or, another way to look at it. If 1% of all GRs has bitten and 30% of all breed X dogs have bitten. The GR still has more bites than breed X because there are so much more GRs than breed X.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Co-worker had a pit and a black lab mix, I was around those dogs several times and the pit would hide behind the couch when I came over. He was divorcing his wife and moved out of the house, shortly after that the dogs got out of the house and were running around. The lab picked a fight with a smaller dog and the pit joined in and killed the smaller dog on the other person's property.
My second encounter was when a new neighbor at the end of our street had a pit. He was training this dog to be mean, but it was next to my chidren's bus stop. All the neighborhood children were waiting for the bus and scared half to death since this dog was jumping at the fence and barking. I got with the county and had the bus stop moved into the cul-de-sac until the dog problem could be rectified. The owner did not have the dog's shots or a dog license, the dog kept getting out and running around, a couple times attacking a jogger and knocking her down, and he kept accumulating fines at $500 a hit until he turned the dog over to animal control. I talked to the police chief, who told me that the owner had amassed $8,000 in fines before he finally gave up. When animal control got the dog they euthanized it, so the story ends there.
A couple times the dog was out running in the neighborhood and my kids were out playing, I grabbed a .45 and went looking. I wanted very badly for the dog to attack me so I could end the problem but the dog would only run when I get even close to it.
My neighbor down the street has a young Rottie but he is very calm and loves to be rubbed. He is growing like mad but still seems nice, we'll see about this one. At least my kids are grown now and I don't have to worry about them anymore.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have Rotts, and had always believed them to be bad dogs like Pitts, maybe just not as bad, now that i've had 3, I wouldn't live without one. They charge my frt door when someone walks up and knocks, but open the door and they will absolutely lick you to death. They are very territorial and protective. They get a bad rap because they are big and intimidating, that I understand. Just a very misunderstood breed. Our big male has laid by my wife this last four weeks that she has been home from surgery. She moves, so does he.

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
...If you have children, just get youself a highpowered air rifle and kill them all immediatly! Your neighbor's dog isn't worth the risk.
Isn't there a law against killing your kids? Seems like it might be better to go after the dog.

Reading this thread has been about as much fun as watching the lynch party that formed after Baker asked about Lidar blockers and such.

I've trained G.S. protection dogs in the past. I've only had one dog bite me, and it wasn't during training and wasn't a big dog. It was during my showing a listed house - damn little Cocker Spaniel shot out from under the bed and nailed me without even a growl before hand.

How to make a dog mean and dangerous? Punch them through the fence and yell at them, and then the owner can wonder why his dogs went off the deep end and attacked someone. Your methods are totally reprehensible. There are proper ways to handle the situation, and yours are not on any list. If another neighbor or the owner had video taped your encounter, it would be you facing jail time and large fines.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont believe dogs have it bread into them to be bad...owners do that to them or the breeder he bought them from......dog raised right dont attack for no reason...theres always a reason.

Its the owners.

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Best behaved dog i've known is my nieghbors 5 yr old pit bull "Jack" he got from the pound at 6 mo's old.
And i've been around dozens of different breeds in 50 yrs.
No formal training. Never had to be disciplined.
Very attached to me since i take care of him while niegb's on vacation or away weekends.
Kinda makes him mad cause he always lays against my leg whenever we'r relaxing with a cold one.
My daughter would go house sit, watch tv, read a book, and Jack slept next to her on the couch with his head across her leg.
Open the door and he wont go out till you look at him an say "go on".
Then wont go more then 10' away from you unless playing fetch.
Loves tug of war obviously.
Nieghb also has a 7 and 2 yr old cat. Always gentle towards them.
His girlfriend moved in last fall with her 5 yr old son, and now they have a 2 mo old baby girl.
So far, not one prob.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
My neigbor has three pit bulls. Once there was four, but he couldn't even control the most aggressive.

In my opinion it is the breed. They are aggressive and don't understand territorial lines baised on anything other than strength. They will attack anything that is not stronger than them at nearly any given time.

For years I delt with them trying, and often successfully jumping a 6ft privacy fence to attack my yellow lab. The only solution solution was to immediatly attack the pit as it came over the fence. At first I would try to seperate. Sometimes bribe the pit with a treat. Then I trained my dog to run to the house as soon as the pits stared so much as a bark. But in the end, i just kept getting so angry that these dogs thought of my dog's yard as there's- I just started attacking them as soon as they came and putting them on the offensive when they'd go for my dog. I've stomped with boots several times, punched a few times, one of my favorites was when I see them coming mid-way on the fence, I just run and punch them as fast as I can straight in the tip of the nose. I always have to have a knife now, always. If any of those things ever nips at me or draws blood from my dog, I promessed myself that I'd kill it, get a gun, and kill the rest regardless of what they did.

They haven't attempted the fence in quite some time since I started punching and kicking them.

They've never attacked me, I have seen them attack other dogs though. Between that and the dozens or so news stories a year of them attacking children, they have to go.

In my opinion, it's a man made problem, and the breed should be eliminated. I'm a pet lover, those aren't pets, they're pack mentality animals that need to be systematically eliminated.

As far as I know, if you ever want the respect of a pit that isn't your dog, beat the snot out of it the second you first see it, regardless of that pit's behavior at the time - tail wagging and all. It's an animal that should always be viewed as hostile regardless of a temporary impression.

If you have children, just get youself a highpowered air rifle and kill them all immediatly! Your neighbor's dog isn't worth the risk.
You sir posted the most ignorant post I have ever seen. Do some research before you put out your stereotypical nonsense.

-Is it true that Pit Bulls can lock their jaw?
The infamous locking jaw is a myth. The American Pit Bull Terrier and related breeds are physiologically no different from any other breed of dog. All dogs are from the same species and none have locking jaws. Dr. I Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, "To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs. There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of 'pounds per square inch' can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data." Furthermore, Dr. Brisbin states, "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier."

-Are Pit Bulls naturally aggressive towards humans?
While many Pit Bulls do tend to be aggressive towards other DOGS (as are most terriers), the normal, well raised Pit Bull has NO human-aggressive tendencies! In fact, human-aggression was actually bred out of the breed. The majority of Pit Bulls are affectionate, intelligent, trainable dogs. In fact, the highest obedience trial record of all time is held by an American Pit Bull Terrier named Maddy!

-Can Pit Bulls "turn" on people?
In fact, no breed of dog does. Dog aggression is nearly always preceded by some kind of warning, and there is always a reason behind the attack. However, many inexperienced owners do not recognize the dog's behavior as aggression, or refuse to acknowledge it as a warning sign. The only exception I can think of is Springer Rage, a rare and controversial neurological condition that manifests itself as a spontaneous attack, followed by confusion, and then a return to normal behavior. Pit Bulls are NOT prone to this condition. There are individual dogs of any breed that may be more aggressive to others.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You cannot remove traits and tendencies of animals with love and training.

The hard wiring is in their brains. Lack of training and mistreatment, with poor breeding, makes it worse.

Dogs were bred to have certain tendencies. If you study the history of these dogs, you will find that the traits were favored for how they were used.

There are a lot of people who should not be allowed to own animals.

The pit bulls are a sign of "macho" in a lot of communities. Who has the biggest and baddest.

In the end, the dog suffers for human caused problems.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by My442 View Post

The hard wiring is in their brains. Lack of training and mistreatment, with poor breeding, makes it worse.

Dogs were bred to have certain tendencies. If you study the history of these dogs, you will find that the traits were favored for how they were used.

The pit bulls are a sign of "macho" in a lot of communities. Who has the biggest and baddest.

exactly what ive been saying

Old 09-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by My442 View Post

That is a correct statement.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

any dog has the potiental to be bad.it is all in how you train them.it is just that the pit bull has been seen more in the media then any other dog.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Suspended

You can't even own a Pit Bull here in Canada in some provinces.I had one years ago it killed my two cats one night when I was out. I still don't know what made him flip out..I had to shoot him.Heres a http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...fty.asp#TOC_03