Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
I also noticed some posts suggesting that the Tri Power with the 3 speed is a bit unusual. Anything to that?
I bought my first (and only other) '64 GTO in 1973 from the original owner. It had the base 3 spd man trans. I soon yanked it and installed a 4 spd. Always regretted that move and the fact that I literally threw the original trans out in the garbage.

Car is long gone (another sad tale) but one of the only things I have kept from it is the original, well-worn, 3 spd shift ball. Sorry, it holds sentimental value for me, not parting with it!

As far as the 3 spd being rare with the Tripower, my experience is that the 3 spd was generally rare in the GTO. Very few '64s that I run across got the base trans.

They weren't much to brag about, non-synchro 1st. Presumably, PMD had good reason to offer the Dearborn 3 spd in '65 as a Heavy Duty option.

Not sure how easy they are to find if you wanted to go back to the original, but I know there is one in a landfill somewhere in south Jersey......