Old 10-09-2021, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1970 Seat Springs?

Can't find front lower Bucket seat seat spring kit for 1970 FB DLX. Tried Ames, NPD, FBC. Any one have ideas? Can I retrofit the spring set up from 1971 up to work? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oddly enough, I haven't taken apart any std 1970 seats.
I have owned Camaro and Firebird std seats. Based on seeing some at a interior guys shop , they look identical to the deluxe.
The Bottom seat springs under your tush have a arc upwards about 10 degrees toward the middle with nothing on them. Use the correct thickness spring steel parts and you could probably get it right. If a seat has more bottom seat springs don't assume they just added a spring, could be all are smaller diameter by a small amount.
Don't expect to " firm" up the seat like new cars as they use a dense closed cell foam.
What is actually wrong with yours?

Old 10-10-2021, 05:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default seat springs

Mine only had two springs and they were mounted at an angle narrower toward the front of the seat. You would sink down to the floor when you sat on them. I bought a pre bent 10' roll of springs on line for furniture and upholstery and cut them in to 3 lengths and mounted them. Problem is they were a bit weaker and thinner than originals and the loops were smaller than originals and they did not lock in to place properly in to the mounting tabs like the originals. I then put the foam cushion in place and took a test sit and they still sunk to low. Assuming no correct original springs are available, I suppose I will order the 71 and up reproduction screen grids and some springs and will improvise. That is unless someone has a better solution? Thx.

Old 10-10-2021, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would try the newer car seat springs. Can get more detailed pics of bottoms that are finished if needed. My buddy is selling a nice 1970 set of seats. ( in the parts sale thread)

Old 10-22-2021, 04:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I ended up ordering the newer style replacement springs. They really are not "springs" but more like a "wire grid". I had to get a bit creative to get them to fit but I managed and now the new foam is good and firm. Thanks again. Dave

Old 10-25-2021, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thinking that the 1969 Camaro/Firebird seat bottom springs should be the same.