Old 09-26-2021, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

68 is right, without that scallop the ass looks quite a bit heavier.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update

I got all the 2K urethane primer block sanded with 180 grit. I did go through to the epoxy primer underneath in several places. Because I thought I had the body very close to perfect, I decided not to spray more urethane and to just finish out the block sanding in epoxy primer and I sprayed on 2 coats.

I took the photos soon after spraying as it does dull quite a bit after drying and I wanted to show how the cigar shapes on the sides looked. It's still not as shiny as paint so it may be hard to see though.

I think it's looking really good at this point and my intention now is to get the epoxy all block sanded with 320 grit. I may need to apply a bit more epoxy to spots if I encounter any defects I see. Once that process is finished it will be time to remove all the panels from the car and start prepping for paint.
I will epoxy prime the cowls area, w/s frame, door jambs and floor before I start any painting though.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO

Last edited by roger1; 09-26-2021 at 07:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	EE7AB5DF-CF05-421E-9493-9FD4A0F0C92F.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	573983

This block is the ticket for those areas.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
They look to be somewhat removed during the restoration on this car.
Or, its just bad lighting & angles. either way, looks a bit off.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0509-79...o-convertible/
Good eye on that convertible. Otherwise, it looks very well executed but the lack of those subtle body lines is evident in the side picture reflections. It's missing subtlety in the shape.

I have often opined that the 68-69 body shape was so popular as it imitates/evokes the subtle curves of a woman. The car's design embodies 3D curvature and those areas, to me, mimic the waist-to-hip shape of a woman lying flat on her stomach. Nature had it right. You can even see that Pontiac designers understood the importance of that shape line when the restyled for 70-72. While the introduced a hard crease/style line, the Judge stripes sure mimic these curves.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 09-29-2021, 02:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You know, l don't want to get weird here, but I've said nearly the same thing Kurt...at least about the hardtop. The c-pillar to quarter panel junction has always reminded me of the transition between a woman's hip to waist when l run my hand over it... A vinyl top interrupts it.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey now ... the vinyl top is the lingerie.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys are sick perverts!

I’m disgusted,

I’m appalled,

I’m repulsed

And, oh yeah, I’m in perfect agreement!

The 68-69 GTO was the ultimate conclusion of the styling idea that started with the 63 full-size cars. That coke bottle idea came to its best end result in the 68-69 GTO. The perfect proportions of the 68-72 A body two doors gave them the ideal foundation. Bill Porter took that ideal foundation and made his version of it stand classically alone from the others.

The unique shape of the quarter windows made the “hips” look just right (the other 68-69 A bodies Used a pointier quarter window that made the quartes seem a bit too thick). The voluptuous sides of the GTO with no obvious mid body creases (but full of subtle delights as discussed here at length) and front fenders that mimicked the quarters a bit just ooze of feminine and/or feline curves and proportions.

One of the most beautiful cars of all time, especially noteworthy that this beauty was achieved not on an impractical sports car or exotic that had almost no contraints to practicality but on a very practical pedestrian platform that had to provide comfortable accommodations for five or six people and their luggage. A master stroke of the art of the possible.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to north For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Roger,

I hope all is well. I wish to register my concern for the lack of updates posted in the past few weeks. You see, this is not about your car; rather, is is about how WE live vicariously through your exploits and documentation of your journey. It's all for us, in case you've lost focus on that. ;-)

I look forward to any and all updates as we confront our dropping temps, falling leaves and visions of six-sided water crystals that waft gently from above.

Affectionately yours,

The Yanks

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68gtoMN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 04:53 PM
Senior Chief

Was thinking about Roger and his convertible over the weekend too! Hope all is well and we’ll be getting a big update soon.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
Roger,
I hope all is well. I wish to register my concern for the lack of updates posted in the past few weeks. You see, this is not about your car; rather, is is about how WE live vicariously through your exploits and documentation of your journey. It's all for us, in case you've lost focus on that. ;-)
I look forward to any and all updates as we confront our dropping temps, falling leaves and visions of six-sided water crystals that waft gently from above.
Affectionately yours,
The Yanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by will slow gto View Post
Was thinking about Roger and his convertible over the weekend too! Hope all is well and we’ll be getting a big update soon.
Thanks for your concern guys! Not to worry, I'm fine and have been working on the car. I haven't posted because a lot of my latest details haven't been photo worthy and if I had posted, I think it would have just been boring.

After block sanding the quarter panels for what I thought would be the last time, it turned out not to be. I wasn't totally happy with the reflections I was seeing along the top of both sides. So, I've had to spray more epoxy on both of them. Three iterations of spraying epoxy primer and blocking on the p/s and 2 on the d/s. Lots of guide coat applications and eyeballing. A lot of time too. Ideally, I would have gotten this perfect in the earlier coats of primer with the polyester and urethane. Problem was I just didn't use enough guide coat on top of not being 100% sure of how to block the complicated shapes.
But, I've got it now and have started moving on. The only thing the quarters need now is a reduced coat of epoxy primer to fill any sand scratches I might have missed and I'll do that at the same time that I prime the door jambs and area around the trunk perimeter.

Last week I removed all the panels from the car and primered the floor.

Also late last week I called SPI to order my red base paint and clear. But they are having supply chain issues getting the resins they use and are out of stock on both. He said they are expecting to get the resins delivered this week for the base but not sure about the clear. I was surprised by this because I specifically asked about possible issues when I talked to them last month. At that time they didn't foresee any issues. I hope it doesn't take too long but I do still have things I can do that will keep me busy until I do get the paint.

Yesterday and today I worked on prepping the top of the cowl, w/s frame, dash top, door jambs and trunk perimeter areas for epoxy primer. Some of those areas had quite a bit of dry primer over-spray on them that needed to be taken off. I also brushed on some epoxy primer on top of the original seam sealer that was used on the cowl and also into the trunk seal channel where spraying won't get into very well.

I'll spray black epoxy on the cowl and dash top and finish the dash top with matte black single stage urethane that I bought from Summit. I intend to start on that process tomorrow.
Then I intend to spray red epoxy primer (reduced by about 15 - 20%) on everything else.
If I get those things done and my paint order from SPI is delayed further, I will start on prepping and painting the trunk floor. However, my original plan was to get the paint done on the body first and then do the trunk floor.

Other news:

Just Dashes has shipped my dash and I'll get it on Wednesday.

I ordered a new fuel injection ready gas tank from Tanks Inc. along with a Walbro fuel pump and gauge sender kit. It has already been delivered. It's powder coated with silver and looks great.

I ordered a set of Dakota Digital VHX gauges. 12 week delivery time.

Ordered a rebuilt tilt steering column from Gary's Classics. 3 to 4 weeks.

Ordered a new rear bumper, aluminum Cold Case radiator and stock type sport steering wheel from Ames. Radiator will take a few weeks to get. Everything else was in stock and have received.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently read an article about supply chain issues and they specifically pointed out red paint as a problem. Evidently the single source for most red pigments in the world is have severe logistics problems.

As usual your project is looking great, it's definitely not going to leak that's for sure.

I see you have seam sealer in the trunk strip channel ... good idea, I'm going to steal that along with all the other good info I've stolen from you

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good job with the restoration. Top notch colors. My 69 Judge has the same color combination.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 Ram Air View Post
Good job with the restoration. Top notch colors. My 69 Judge has the same color combination.
Thanks! But oops, I think you might have missed the fact that I'm going to change the color on my car to Matador Red. I'm going to stay with the Parchment interior. Liberty Blue is a great color but I had my reasons for making the change.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default The dash is painted.

Yesterday, I sprayed the top of the cowl, dash top and w/s frame with black epoxy primer.

This morning I sanded the primer on the dash top with 400 grit and then sprayed 2 coats of the Summit brand single-stage urethane matte black paint.
I am very pleased with how it turned out.

I had previously painted the VIN tag with a spray can of flat black and had it taped off for priming and painting the dash. I didn't want that many coats of primer and paint on the VIN number as the thickness would cause the numbers to lose their distinctness.

Good news and not so good news:
I called SPI today and they said they got their resins delivered and are planning on mixing batches of both the red base and clear coat I have on order. They will call me tomorrow to confirm when they will be shipping to me. The not so good news is that the paint booth filters I had on order hadn't even been shipped yet. (They had let me know by email but it went into my spam folder.) Supply chain problems with that too. They couldn't guarantee when they would ship so I cancelled that order and called some other suppliers. I found one that said they could have them to me in 2 weeks so I ordered them. I am anxious to start painting red paint but I still have things I can do while I'm waiting.

I think I will drop by my local auto glass supplier tomorrow and order a new windshield. It will be interesting to see if there are any supply chain issues with that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, that matt black turned out nice.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very fun to follow your thread, thanks for sharing all your impressive work.

Look like jewelry!

That uniform matte black is definitely photogenic.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just noticed your rear door jambs have the cutout for the vent - my 71 ragtop does not. wonder why?

Old 10-22-2021, 09:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys! Yes, that Summit matte black did impress me with the way it looked after it dried. I hope it holds up well.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-up355q
I mixed it at 4:1:1 and I used a fast reducer. That is reduced more than they say in the instructions. They say no more than 10% and 4:1:1 is 20%.

Scarebird, I do know that the vents in the door jambs were added for the GM Astro Ventilation system that they hyped during that era but I don't know why they didn't put them in your '71.

Old 10-22-2021, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They don't do much as the air can flow around in the side top well.

Old 10-27-2021, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see by what you've done on your panel fitting that you a stickler
concerning body gaps. That being the case, you are not going to be the least bit happy about how the Ames repro rear bumper fits to the quarters and the tail lights. You need to source a nice rear original bumper core and have it redone.
by the way, your fit of the front bumper to the front fenders and hood is absolutely amazing.....ten times better than the factory fit.