THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We almost lost my father in laws 68 Charger this way. Guy was selling drugs, got kicked up and didn’t pay rent- everything was going to the property owner. Luckily it was a small town and he knew the judge and the police officers. They said normally they wouldn’t let you take your car- even if you can show ownership.

Laws get really weird.

Show up, get your stuff. If it’s not in your personality to do this (for a lot of people it isn’t) find a friend that likes to talk sh!t and take him or her.

I don’t think your going to be able to walk in and ask for your car back nicely……

Old 10-17-2021, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Must have been before my grandparents time...

Get your car. I've never met an honest or quality body man. I am told they exist and I am sure they do, but I've never met one and only been screwed by body men.
I have been lead to believe the the words “. Body Shop” mean screw you, In some foreign language.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...

Last edited by 77 TRASHCAN; 10-17-2021 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Wah
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Every year it just gets worse - the stories you read and the quantity of them.

Maybe try to be firmly polite to start with (and see how that goes) as you give a quick reminder that 2 weeks has turned into 6 months, and you no longer want the car to be painted. Just want it back , as-is.

If you ask for money back - he will claim You owe Him money.
The money is long gone
Forget the money

If he seems hesitant to let you have the car - shift into the ignorant and mean mode.
Maybe 3 or 4 of you go and all walk with a limp - using baseball bats as walking sticks as you limp along.

It is no longer a business deal
It is a hostage situation

Old 10-19-2021, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My grandson and I went to look at the car last night and it is primed. He now claims he has more into it than he agreed on originally. Before he took the job he spent an hour with the car checking it out outside on a bright sunny day. He says there was more cracked paint than he originally thought. Well you've had it almost 6 months. I could have sanded it by hand in that time. I would have brought the car home but my grandson gave him one more chance. He gave him until Thanksgiving to finish the car.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry man that’s a bad move. This is either going to cost 2-3 times the estimate or never be seen again

Old 10-19-2021, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the average person looking for an average paint job is far better off doing their homework, joining some forums, finding a friend with some experience and just do it themselves. Money will probably be about the same after you buy the tools and supplies, but you get to keep the tools. You can work at your own pace ... fast or slow, you can correct mistakes and learn how to avoid them.

If you are looking for something show quality, or better than average you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay big bucks and wait forever. If you've got two or three to paint ... by the third one you'll probably be doing some pretty nice paint yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I have been lead to believe the the words “. Body Shop” mean screw you, In some foreign language.
"Body Shops" have been screwed over by insurance companies forever. They dictate what the shop can charge them to repair a car. I don't think the hourly rate ever climbed past $50 before it headed back towards $45 per hour. And the so called "Production shops" where you are expected to work faster for less, with guaranties of steady work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68 461 Bird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 08:54 PM

Default Hobby Shop Delay

The title of this thread is misleading, it should have been called Hobby Shop Delay. This is clearly not a Body Shop as the OP claimed it was . This guy fixes up cars and sells them, that's his main priority $$. The work he does for the women I am sure is not for free. So after that in his free time he works on your grandsons car for just material cost and you wonder why its taking so long.

I wonder why you are not fixing up the car with your grandson.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the past I would have done the car myself but I can no longer do the work. I'm in my 70's, had a quadruple heart bypass, have a pacemaker, and am recovering from cancer. Does that answer your question "68 461 Bird"????

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not all body shops are shafters and I hope this one doesn't let you down. But I think the situation you describe is symptomatic of body shops all round the world. They know they can do the job in the allotted time frame but there is always other work opportunities being presented to them so your job gets bogged down.

Ask me how I know all this!!!

The only advice I can offer is you need to keep a gentle pressure on them by regularly turning up and talking to them. Keep telling them the reason you want the car back by a certain date, But be nice. Never threaten or raise your voice or that's when it will start going south in a hurry. I'm encouraged that you say the car is in primer. Congratulate him on getting this far and tell him you can't wait till you see more progress next time you pop by.

A lot of times you need to feed egos. Body shop guys are no different.

Good luck

Ian

Old 10-21-2021, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heybuck is right about body shops in general. I have never had a body shop do what they said they would in the time they said it would take when working on an old car. I never had a problem when they have worked on my daily drivers however.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was in the tool business, my worst customers were body and paint guys. Most were heavy day drinkers who never came back from lunch break. I lost more money to body guys than just about anyone else.

A production type body shop whose primary source of income is insurance work is generally the worst place to take a vintage car. There are exceptions. When we were still in Central Florida we went to the local MAACO in Longwood. Did a quickie job on a 92 Sunbird convertible we were giving our son, turned out well for $600 .

Longer part of the story was the owner was a vintage car owner (GTO, Chevelle) who would and could have his crew do restoration type work. I believe Padgett took a couple of his Reattas there and got very good results for reasonable cost.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:56 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry to hear of your experience with the shop you picked but 2 weeks to do an old car is not enough time. You never know what you will find when you strip the paint. If you decide to pull your car out there are quite a few reputable shops that could do your car in the snh area. P.S. We are not all bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob in NH For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I gather Rob in NH is a body guy. I know the history on the car. At one time I owned it for over 20 years and I had the original body work done to a rust and dent free car. The car was still rust free with only a few very small dents. If you have suggestions for shops speak up. Bear in mind he can't afford restoration shop prices. Driver quality cruise night paint job.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good Luck with the guy. I will say again that 2 weeks was a ridiculous time line to begin with, if anyone believed they could get any kind of paint job in that time frame then as Gomer would say "shame on you".

If you as opposed to your grandson has more disposable time, you should stop by the place on a daily, 3 times a week or at the least weekly basis and check on progress. Bring a cup of coffee to the guy or just chat about the weather for a minute. That may light a bit of a fire under him. If you see nothing happening then it may be time to get the car out of there.

Now that its in primer I would go over the entire car with him in detail, identifying any area that may need special attention. Put in WRITING what the final bill will be. That way when all is said and done your grandson doesnt get a bill for a concours paint job when he was expecting cruise night.

Which brings up the last point. Any professional should strive to do their best work. Asking someone to cut corners and do inferior work is a recipe for disaster.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:24 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I think the average person looking for an average paint job is far better off doing their homework, joining some forums, finding a friend with some experience and just do it themselves.

I painted my Grandville at a local community college that had a body shop program. Had all the tools, an instructor, and a paint booth.

Came out nice. If you have such a deal in your area, look into it.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The guy’s shop is an hour and a quarter from my house. Closer to my grandson. When I was able to do the work I could have painted the car in 2 weeks so I don’t see why a professional couldn’t. You say a car can’t be painted in 2 weeks but Macco makes a living doing quick paint jobs. Please don’t tell me all their paint jobs are crap because that’s just not true. I’ve seen several cars that they painted and they were very good. Anyone who paints day in and day out should get good at it. If I had been able I would have prepared the car and had them do it but I thought this guy would be better.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:32 PM
Senior Chief

There is a Maaco in Lawrence, that is probably the place to take it to if the current place doesn't work out .

Old 10-23-2021, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate to go to Lawrence but maybe. Thanks