Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-10-2004, 11:05 AM

Who makes an H pipe for 1970 -81 Trans Ams. I can easily find an x pipe but i do not like the sound of those. It seems like depending on what mufflers you choose with an x pipe, you can end up sounding like a rustang?

Old 07-10-2004, 11:05 AM

Who makes an H pipe for 1970 -81 Trans Ams. I can easily find an x pipe but i do not like the sound of those. It seems like depending on what mufflers you choose with an x pipe, you can end up sounding like a rustang?

Old 07-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Exhaust Guru

Hey Jonathan,
On the contrary, I have not heard a Pontiac that sounded like a Mustang with the X. Even with Flowmasters, they sound different. What mufflers and X did you hear that sounded like one? I'd like to hear it.
Flowmaster sells an H as does Hedman. You will get to fabricate it but that should not be too tough.
Take care,
Tom Hand

Old 07-10-2004, 02:45 PM

It is possible that I could be mistaken. To me there is nothing more annoying than a mustang with an x pipe. Mainly because there are 3 of them consantly driving past my house at night. They just love to downshift and make a whole lot of noise. I don't think i could take it if my car sounded like that. Does anyone have a sound clip of a cammed pontiac 400 with an x pipe ? or with an H pipe?
Thanks

Old 07-28-2004, 10:31 PM

Ugh, I resent that remark. I have a '96 Mustang GT with an X-pipe and 2-chamber Flows and I think it sounds bitchin'! Yeah it's loud but it sounds mean as hell.

Anyway I also have a '65 LeMans with a 400 and Hooker Comp long tubes and I would like to know about the difference between an X-pipe and an H-pipe. I know on the Mustangs the difference is quite a lot. An H-pipe on a Mustang sounds much deeper and more ballsy than an X-pipe, but you get more horsepower with an X-pipe. I like the simplicity of the Pypes X-pipe for the Pontiac, but if an H-pipe will sound better on my baby, I'd rather do that...