Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-09-2004, 10:32 AM

Hey guys,
I just bought a Silver 77 T/A With the Pontiac 400 and 4 spd. It has been very well taken care of but after 27 years needs some updating.
Not sure where to begin on the car, other than just love driving it!
The engine needs lifters because 2 of them are knocking hard but are still pumping oil. I'm told the engine has a pretty decent stock cam, but I'm not sure.
I bought but have not put on yet an Eldebrock #3756 intake manifold and figured I would replace the lifters and rebuild the Roch 800 carb when I do the intake. It only has the single exhaust and I am wondering what is the best way to go. I want to be able to drive the car and not get blown out of the interior and still looking for the best possible performance. Looking for headers, mufflers and should I go with an X pipe/H pipe? Also How do you know wether to go with 2.5" pipe or 3"? I'm not surehow much I should redo on the engine except to maybe just freshin it up. It has 70,000 origianl miles. If I pull the heads and have them redone, I was thinking I would have them groung down as much as they could w/out having to change any other parts due to the change in the angles.
Also looking to replace the front and rear springs. Also the rear sway bar looks small. It also needs new grommets all the way around. Rubber vs. Urethane? Looking for a good ride.I This is a driver and I won't fully go though a restoration intil I'm done driving it. Too much fun! Comments on suspension tips would be appreciated as well.
Looking for any reccomendations of direction I should go and how far. Not looking to race,but want to beat the rice burners.
Thanks for your opinons.
Brad

Old 07-09-2004, 10:32 AM

Hey guys,
I just bought a Silver 77 T/A With the Pontiac 400 and 4 spd. It has been very well taken care of but after 27 years needs some updating.
Not sure where to begin on the car, other than just love driving it!
The engine needs lifters because 2 of them are knocking hard but are still pumping oil. I'm told the engine has a pretty decent stock cam, but I'm not sure.
I bought but have not put on yet an Eldebrock #3756 intake manifold and figured I would replace the lifters and rebuild the Roch 800 carb when I do the intake. It only has the single exhaust and I am wondering what is the best way to go. I want to be able to drive the car and not get blown out of the interior and still looking for the best possible performance. Looking for headers, mufflers and should I go with an X pipe/H pipe? Also How do you know wether to go with 2.5" pipe or 3"? I'm not surehow much I should redo on the engine except to maybe just freshin it up. It has 70,000 origianl miles. If I pull the heads and have them redone, I was thinking I would have them groung down as much as they could w/out having to change any other parts due to the change in the angles.
Also looking to replace the front and rear springs. Also the rear sway bar looks small. It also needs new grommets all the way around. Rubber vs. Urethane? Looking for a good ride.I This is a driver and I won't fully go though a restoration intil I'm done driving it. Too much fun! Comments on suspension tips would be appreciated as well.
Looking for any reccomendations of direction I should go and how far. Not looking to race,but want to beat the rice burners.
Thanks for your opinons.
Brad

Old 07-20-2004, 09:46 PM

hey..wassup man..yea i have a 77 with da same engine. i bought some hooker headers and a pypes 2.5 inch x pipe system with v force mufflers and chrome tips. I have never been happeir with da sound it make, and i tell u u'll feel and hear da difference when u step on it, those rice boyz will just roll up their windows and turn on da enxt light...ask me how i know . On ur question on a 3 or 2.5 inch system just know dat a 500hp car would benefit more from a 3 inch than a 2.5. Also i would go with the hyperflex system from energy suspension, polyuthren kicks A$$! good luck and have fun with the car, i know u do with mine