Old 05-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ceramic style voltage regulator fuse

I finally figured out my charging problem!

Been reading up on the workshop manual. After finding I had a burnt out generator light bulb, I got all warning lights working- oil, water temp. and generator, seeing how they're all linked. The generator light was barely on when running, and glowed bright above 2500 RPM.

So I traced the voltage. Voltage was still reading 13.5v on the generator and on the regulator's batt post before the ceramic fuse. Checked the wire voltage after the fuse and it showed only battery voltage. So no charge was going to the battery.

I unscrewed the ceramic fuse and it fell apart in 3 pieces and is missing the strip wire.

Are replacements hard to find? Do most cars still have them after all these years?

Seemed like it took me forever to diagnose this problem. Also, I had been looking for an inline fuse, not an old style ceramic one.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris,,,Where is your fuse located? My wiring schematic shows it right next to the generator.

POCI.org
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantrider View Post
I finally figured out my charging problem!

Been reading up on the workshop manual. After finding I had a burnt out generator light bulb, I got all warning lights working- oil, water temp. and generator, seeing how they're all linked. The generator light was barely on when running, and glowed bright above 2500 RPM.

So I traced the voltage. Voltage was still reading 13.5v on the generator and on the regulator's batt post before the ceramic fuse. Checked the wire voltage after the fuse and it showed only battery voltage. So no charge was going to the battery.

I unscrewed the ceramic fuse and it fell apart in 3 pieces and is missing the strip wire.

Are replacements hard to find? Do most cars still have them after all these years?

Seemed like it took me forever to diagnose this problem. Also, I had been looking for an inline fuse, not an old style ceramic one.

WOW Thank you very much. Now I know what was wrong with my charging system.
It was doing the same thing as yours and I couldn't figure it out. Now I know what to do

GT.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Chris,,,Where is your fuse located? My wiring schematic shows it right next to the generator.
My mistake,,,,Right next to the regulator!!! NOT generator.

POCI.org
Old 05-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Senior Chief

I've seen them on ebay , and aren't cheap. I'm thinking you can use the filament from a volvo ceramic type fuse of same amp to repair a blown one of our design. I notice many aftermarket regulators don't have the ceramic fuse at all.

Here is mine

Close up

Mine looks broken, and I had a freak out moment, but it's just bent and reflected wrong from the flash from the camera. Was taken at 9:30pm.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 05-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just checked several of my 62's & none have that on them. Wire is direct to the regulator. Same thing on my 61.

POCI.org
Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I see the fuse in the schematic but cant find it in my parts manual. Only see generator & regulator. I do see a mention of the fuse in the repair manual text but no picture.

POCI.org
Old 05-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, that is the one. The little bugger is screwed right on the regulator post itself. Mine had a tight rubber boot covering it so was very difficult to see.

I can imagine over the years, there have been many original Delco regulators replaced by mistake due to people not seeing this.

The original Delco regulator is a very nicely made and reliable piece. Even the car's workshop manual, written in '61, says many of them are replaced in error because of someones bad diagnosis. Most regulators just need a contact point cleaning with a feeler gauge or piece of paper. I was surprised at how clean it was in there- the sealed cover does a good job. But before anything, check the ceramic fuse.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think it would only needed on a correct points restored car. Am sure just about any fuse will work. I dont see anything anywhere that says what the amperage of that fuse is. Looks like its inline with the battery charging wire. If thats true, I would think it would need to be about 10 amp above the generators max output. So,, maybe 45 amp fuse, max???

POCI.org
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going to replace it with the same type when I find one. Will keep an extra pair in the glove. I don't want to cut the connector on my car's harness or rig up a plastic fuse holder in there. A 10-15amp difference will work. I remember reading it was a 15 amp spread between the fuse and generator power.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a 45 amp fuse. You can find them through antique auto part dealers. Will send you a spare off a 61 (if still there) along with the poverty caps and wagon wheels...

Old 05-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Senior Chief

There were five or six for auction on Epay last night when I searched regulator fuse. One even had three for 9.99. Looks like the norm is $10-20 each.

3 of the four tempests I own have the fuses on the regulator, but none of my spare regulators do not. The fuses screw directly onto the terminal on the regulator, so I'm sure many just never transferred to the new regulator if replaced. The fuse assembly has a tab where the wiring for the car connects to.

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

good reason the get the gen off and put a alt on!Tom

Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2nd that

Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be putting a alt. on mine.

GT.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is involved with putting an alternator on?

I have a pretty good understanding of the stock gen setup now, so am reluctant to switch. Too many other projects to do.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put a one wire alternator on my 62 daily driver because I was dropping in a 63 (thin block) motor with the alternator set up already attached. I ran the wire from the back of the alternator along the valve cover behind the motor down to the starter for a clean look. I wrapped my generator wires up and tucked them under my heater box and the voltage regulator wires are capped off and also wrapped and tucked away. This way I can switch back any time. I honestly do not notice a difference between my two cars, but if I break down, finding a one wire alternator is a lot easier than lugging an extra generator around in my trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5922.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	283837  

Old 05-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it's charging just fine now! I put a new regulator fuse on, and threw 2 spares in the glove box.

Gen light and oil light both glow bright when you switch the key on- as they should. After the engine starts, they are both off.

The fuse came with a vintage foil sticker that they want you to stick on the regulator cover..... says "this regulator is protected by a fuse. If you are having charging problems, check the regulator fuse first!"