Old 05-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default TDC #1 or #6?

Put my distributor back in my V8 Pontiac yesterday after loosing timing orientation. Brought it to top dead center and wiggled both #1 & #6 rockers and they were both lose. In the past I have done this on small block Chevy's and one or the other had a little tension in it? After rotating the engine through 720*, I was able to figure which was #1 but it was a lot of work!
It looks like to me at #1 TDC rockers on cyl's 3 intake and and 5 and 7 ex are in tension?
At #6 TDC rockers on cyl's 2 & 7 intake and 7 ex are in tension?
Does someone have a simple way to tell and any corrections on this? John

Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

#1 TDC 2I 8e loose rotate 90 degrees 1I 4e loose rotate 90 degrees 8I 3e loose rotate 4I 6e loose rotate 3I 5e loose rotate 6I 7e loose rotate 5I 2e loose rotate 7I 1e loose

Old 05-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergary View Post
#1 TDC 2I 8e loose rotate 90 degrees 1I 4e loose rotate 90 degrees 8I 3e loose rotate 4I 6e loose rotate 3I 5e loose rotate 6I 7e loose rotate 5I 2e loose rotate 7I 1e loose
This is how I adjust valves cold on both my 421sd with solid cams. I do zero lash on my other motors running. Play doctor and use a stethascope since getting old.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Real easy way to tell #1 TDC, is when the crank is rotated (in normal direction) and the spark plugs are out, you'll feel a 'rush' of air coming out of the hole.

So, put your thumb over the #1 hole, rotate the crank, and if you feel your thumb being pushed out/away then that is on the firing cycle.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates