Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Sorry this should say did not make over 1000hp with a Victor, when he made 1000+ he had a BOP intake on it.
That’s right forgot he changed over to a BOP. Kinsler was one who made 995 hp I rounded it off to 1000 hp.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran 10.30s with a pump gas 406 with home ported 62 heads in ‘89. Tom V. now has my intake. Has a 2 inch phenolic plenum spacer. Original Wenzler dual quad ended up being quicker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB928B15-9B45-44D2-A337-9B248FD9D8A4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	589582   Click image for larger version

Name:	2E38ACA0-F945-4608-9865-2CBB9EE85823.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	589583  

Last edited by misterp266; 04-28-2022 at 12:01 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterp266 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 02:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
He was running 9:30’s with a 400 and a Warrior on PUMP GAS, what happen to you, how come you could only run 10.80’s with 455.
Not sure what that means. My 455 is a junk TRW engine that only ran 10.80s in the last 2 years of a 30 year run. And the last version on the engine with roller cam bought on a whim was put in the car in 2008. 12 years on valve springs racing 2 classes is a long time, too long.
What I am saying is there had to be 2 tenths on a fresh build. Took me years to get it down to 10.80s .
When I race the High Ports for a season or two the HOs, re done will go back on and I will see how low I can go with them on a real engine. Going to run small stem valves, 300cfm potential. Will try the Warrior and a Victor. I bet I can get the car down under 10.50s with 9-1 CR, maybe lower.
Kens car, E heads by Sd Dave, intake by Gabby, trick carb. I am sure the car was pretty light. He was a big street racer in LA. Said he beat everyone. Running a 400 it would be tough to get he CR over 12-1 anyway with E heads.
The used Comp rollers in my 455 were bought used from Kens dad. Old junk.
I will bolt the Warrior on the High Port engine with the 1/8" miss match on top just to see what happens. Just bracket race so it will not hurt to try.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
If I recall right International harvester had a gas truck motor in the 70s with a single plane intake.
I have to try and find a picture, I think it was 345 or 392 cid I forget.
I would guess the 1970 392 IH topped with a Holley 1050. Got 1 on my PMD 472

Old 04-28-2022, 11:29 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
I ran 10.30s with a pump gas 406 with home ported 62 heads in ‘89. Tom V. now has my intake. Has a 2 inch phenolic plenum spacer. Original Wenzler dual quad ended up being quicker.
And a very nice piece it is too.

I also have an original Wenzler T/R intake that works very well with dual quad Holleys according to the 1/4 mile racer
I got it from. That intake will be a EFI intake at some point. I own a single 4 BBL top.

I have owned Wenzler Guttsram intakes in the past and got them to work on less than 500 cid engines by installing
"stuffing blocks" in the intake runners to reduce some of the volume and taper of the runners.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Not sure what that means. My 455 is a junk TRW engine that only ran 10.80s in the last 2 years of a 30 year run. And the last version on the engine with roller cam bought on a whim was put in the car in 2008. 12 years on valve springs racing 2 classes is a long time, too long.
What I am saying is there had to be 2 tenths on a fresh build. Took me years to get it down to 10.80s .
When I race the High Ports for a season or two the HOs, re done will go back on and I will see how low I can go with them on a real engine. Going to run small stem valves, 300cfm potential. Will try the Warrior and a Victor. I bet I can get the car down under 10.50s with 9-1 CR, maybe lower.
Kens car, E heads by Sd Dave, intake by Gabby, trick carb. I am sure the car was pretty light. He was a big street racer in LA. Said he beat everyone. Running a 400 it would be tough to get he CR over 12-1 anyway with E heads.
The used Comp rollers in my 455 were bought used from Kens dad. Old junk.
I will bolt the Warrior on the High Port engine with the 1/8" miss match on top just to see what happens. Just bracket race so it will not hurt to try.
Well, hey yeah let’s us know. No I was just having trouble understanding why your 455 with Warrior is 1.5 seconds slower the a 400 motor with a Warrior. I mean both roller cam motors. Especially with the guidance of Dan Whitmore. Something just sounds way off.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let us know what Gach ? What does my engine have to do with Kens ?
Kens exploits are well known. Very good racer with a real race car. Street racer so he probably gave it a shot of juice. Even if he did it was the quickest 400 I know of.
No intake is going to make that much difference in power between mine and Kens old car and you know it. Its about the whole combo and you also know that. So why this ?
The whole point is the Warrior with a bunch of work can be a very good intake on smaller engines. Paul has made 2 posts stating such. And even without a bunch of work on ported iron head also works well.
Is it worth it ? No but people do what they do.
Still the best looking Pontiac intake.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
If I recall right International harvester had a gas truck motor in the 70s with a single plane intake.
I have to try and find a picture, I think it was 345 or 392 cid I forget.
When I brought this up years ago someone commented on a Mopar (318 ?) engine that had a single plane intake from the factory.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey someone may have a Warrior laying around or can get their hands on one cheap. That likes the nostalgic part of running one. You know period correct type of build I love those type of builds. I’m sure most likely thats the case with Pual customer. For some reason you have it in your head and are taking my comments personal. The tread starter is about possibly reproducing it. I assume for nostalgic reasons. Like Tom s has done with the one he had reproduce. Love it.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah you lift that part out about him spraying, I knew that. know Ken well. I just thought it was miss leading. Nitrous can make up for allot of sins, take up to a full second off your ET. There’s a reason why they stop making the Warrior that’s not to say there wasn’t some GREAT builds.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:57 PM

Personally I ran a Warrior on a street /strip 455 HO 71 Trans Am back in the late 70's and ran 11.30's with a quadrajet, solid roller cam and stock 197 heads.. There was nothing else back in the day and i wouldn't mind just having one on my 70 Trans Am now...and i ran the Tunnel Ram on a Pro Street car...I was never impressed with it, But i liked the look...but in 1982 .there wasn't much to choose from.. Getting the single 4150 Warrior under the hood might be a big problem as i want to keep the stock steel hood on this car..but i have the Performer RPM with the factory shaker that works on it now...with a factory looking air cleaner. That's why i'd like to get a height dimension.... If anybody has any Warrior intakes for a 4150 or maybe the tunnel ram..please let me know! Really appreciate all who responded to this thread..been very enjoyable for me..Thank you all.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by catc View Post
Personally I ran a Warrior on a street /strip 455 HO 71 Trans Am back in the late 70's and ran 11.30's with a quadrajet, solid roller cam and stock 197 heads.. There was nothing else back in the day and i wouldn't mind just having one on my 70 Trans Am now...and i ran the Tunnel Ram on a Pro Street car...I was never impressed with it, But i liked the look...but in 1982 .there wasn't much to choose from.. Getting the single 4150 Warrior under the hood might be a big problem as i want to keep the stock steel hood on this car..but i have the Performer RPM with the factory shaker that works on it now...with a factory looking air cleaner. That's why i'd like to get a height dimension.... If anybody has any Warrior intakes for a 4150 or maybe the tunnel ram..please let me know! Really appreciate all who responded to this thread..been very enjoyable for me..Thank you all.
I hear you like I said, I was drooling over that intake, and like you said back then that’s all there was, wish I could answer that question weather or not could fit under stock hood, just can’t remember.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:23 PM

When I had the Quadrajet Warrior on My 71 Trans Am back in the day I had a glass hood from HO Racing and if i remember had a taller scoop we attached , Plus i had those short aluminum body mounts from Herb Adams
. That's why i don't know if it will fit the stock steel hood. , maybe without a spacer it might. I had 2" open..Just for nostalgia reasons and if a guy took it to the track..add the spacer ??? or throw the Performer RPM back on or ???... and the Pro Street Tunnel Ram car had a VFN , Obviously with a hole cut...Still love the look of the Warrior!!

Last edited by catc; 04-28-2022 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The intake Paul post needs to be cast, it out powered a ported victor.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could be wrong but I think even without any spacer that it’ll fit under a stock hood, with a Breather.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
The intake Paul post needs to be cast, it out powered a ported victor.
My thoughts exactly. If someone did up a Warrior like his with the dropped plenum and whatever else was done to it, cleaned up the bottom welds for aesthetics and added a little meat so someone could wide port it if they wanted too and had it cast up like the Tomahawk/ported HSD people would buy it.
It would be a seller on looks alone with performance to match.

BTW, Gachs Victor cast up would be a seller too.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:40 AM

Hi Paul
that was the intake you got from me Did you finished up the port work?

Old 04-29-2022, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTYRAT1 View Post
Hi Paul
that was the intake you got from me Did you finished up the port work?
Hello, no its not.... I'm still working on yours

Old 04-29-2022, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess you guys dont realize how hard and expensive it is to reproduce a intake EVEN with 3D scanning and printing!Just to have someone to do the computer work alone to go in and make a wide port version of the Warrior could cost 10K in computer work.Custom CNC billets are the way to go now.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2022, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On one version of the Year One Bandit Trans Am project with a 535 combo Jim Butler used a Victor intake with the carb flange milled down 0.650" to help it fit under the hood.
With the cut down intake he used a WFO drop base unit for the TA Shaker scoop.
Tested on the engine dyno at peak power rpm it gave up about 15 hp by milling the intake.

"A modified and ported Victor intake with a Holley HP series carburetor"

https://butlerperformance.com/images/M145286875.jpg

On my current 505 street engine prior to the fuel injection I did the same thing with a Victor intake & HP950 carb. On the dyno I lost about 8-10 hp at peak power rpm after milling the intake flange 0.650".
Not a race deal so for me I did not miss the 8-10 hp.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 04-29-2022 at 11:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread