Old 02-20-2016, 10:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs down 1978 SE Y88 Heads up - Jacksonville, Fl.

Not my car but https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5444257122.html
drove 8 hrs to see this car after back and forth conversations with the owner. The pictures of the car on craigslist or not current. Things he doesn't tell you is the T-Tops are a total rust bucket on either side (would be better to replace the whole roof). Pictures don't show that because they are from 10 years ago. The driver front fender in the pictures looks perfect but, not the case you would have to replace it. It was hit in that fender and creased pretty bad. The hood is creased from trying to close it on bad springs. another picture that is misleading. The thing that really pissed me off is that during our back and forth conversations he said little rust spot that were not even noticeable well you could put your hand through.
Just in case someone is interested in that car I thought I would save you the trouble to drive a long distance and be disappointed like I was.
Oh well another 8 hr drive home with an empty trailer.

PS: even rented a U-Haul car trailer to bring it home.
He also updated the add after I left also to include t-top rust. He also adjusted the price from $4500.00 to $2400. But does not include the interior. You have to buy that separately.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmRIP View Post
Not my car but https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5444257122.html
drove 8 hrs to see this car after back and forth conversations with the owner. The pictures of the car on craigslist or not current. Things he doesn't tell you is the T-Tops are a total rust bucket on either side (would be better to replace the whole roof). Pictures don't show that because they are from 10 years ago. The driver front fender in the pictures looks perfect but, not the case you would have to replace it. It was hit in that fender and creased pretty bad. The hood is creased from trying to close it on bad springs. another picture that is misleading. The thing that really pissed me off is that during our back and forth conversations he said little rust spot that were not even noticeable well you could put your hand through.
Just in case someone is interested in that car I thought I would save you the trouble to drive a long distance and be disappointed like I was.
Oh well another 8 hr drive home with an empty trailer.

PS: even rented a U-Haul car trailer to bring it home.
He also updated the add after I left also to include t-top rust. He also adjusted the price from $4500.00 to $2400. But does not include the interior. You have to buy that separately.

Man, sorry about your luck. I had the same sort of luck this week as well when I went to look at a '71 Lemans about 7 hours from me. Rented the uhaul trailer too. And the clown updated his ad after I turned the car down too. I guess it was lesson week for us. I sure learned mine! I want pics of every square inch, and video too! LOL

Good luck with your search if your still looking!

Old 02-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Senior Chief

It's frustrating but it works both ways. I've taken chances on terrible ads and was surprised at my luck when I arrived.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

part of it...ive done it many times..will do it again im sure...

sometimes i wonder if they are deceiving or just plain stupid and have no idea.

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge-1969 View Post
Man, sorry about your luck. I had the same sort of luck this week as well when I went to look at a '71 Lemans about 7 hours from me. Rented the uhaul trailer too. And the clown updated his ad after I turned the car down too. I guess it was lesson week for us. I sure learned mine! I want pics of every square inch, and video too! LOL

Good luck with your search if your still looking!
Agree lesson well learned. But I'll still look.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post

I think he was just plain stupid!

Old 02-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Suspended

When I sold my 73 T/A I took a video of the car with at that time my cassette movie camera & sent him the tape. I was looking at his car for a possible trade in plus the cash he was paying. I told him I wanted him to use the same tape to record his car. I figured it would be harder to fake it if he had to use my tape. It was a nice car, but He wanted far more then his car was worth so we didn't make a deal. It's harder now as most just have their cell phone camera , but they can still upload it from their phone with a time stamp. But the car went to TX to someone else the next day. I don't think it would be to hard for someone to take some pics of the car your wanting to buy when your far away possibly with something to show it's a pic of today. Sorry you had to go through that, but I think a lot of us here have gone through it 1 time or another. Just sorry you had to drive so far. But on to the next one.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I once drove 800 miles to look at a 69 firebird 400 convertible that wasn't as described. Pictures sent were taken to not show any rust. The worst part is, it was a member here.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
When I sold my 73 T/A I took a video of the car with at that time my cassette movie camera & sent him the tape. I was looking at his car for a possible trade in plus the cash he was paying. I told him I wanted him to use the same tape to record his car. I figured it would be harder to fake it if he had to use my tape. It was a nice car, but He wanted far more then his car was worth so we didn't make a deal. It's harder now as most just have their cell phone camera , but they can still upload it from their phone with a time stamp. But the car went to TX to someone else the next day. I don't think it would be to hard for someone to take some pics of the car your wanting to buy when your far away possibly with something to show it's a pic of today. Sorry you had to go through that, but I think a lot of us here have gone through it 1 time or another. Just sorry you had to drive so far. But on to the next one.
Speaking of on to the next one. I did already but this one was in my backyard 25 miles away. 1974 TA 400 (barn find) so they say...its on cars on line for 18500. ouch..just got back from checking it out. Once again misleading. As expected some rust issue on roof, doors, fenders trunk. Nothing major (bubbling rust spots) problems to come? anyway, He had a 2 post lift and lifted the car in the air and low and behold it was not numbers matching block or transmission. It had a YX code with 22p437678 on side and transmission code was 4811436779 not even close the the vin.
Now with non matching car and rust issiues, seats had rips on them what kind of value could you place on this car? I still might be interested but at what price. ...Any ideas..please help

Old 02-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ad is now deleted on the first one...

I'm glad you went to look at it instead of buying site unseen!

Old 02-21-2016, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmRIP View Post
Speaking of on to the next one. I did already but this one was in my backyard 25 miles away. 1974 TA 400 (barn find) so they say...its on cars on line for 18500. ouch..just got back from checking it out. Once again misleading. As expected some rust issue on roof, doors, fenders trunk. Nothing major (bubbling rust spots) problems to come? anyway, He had a 2 post lift and lifted the car in the air and low and behold it was not numbers matching block or transmission. It had a YX code with 22p437678 on side and transmission code was 4811436779 not even close the the vin.
Now with non matching car and rust issiues, seats had rips on them what kind of value could you place on this car? I still might be interested but at what price. ...Any ideas..please help
A '74 Trans Am for $18,500? You ought to be able to drive it all the way across the country and take it to it's first show after washing it. The car you describe sounds like a $5K-$8K car to me.... and the upper end of that range only IF it's a driver.
I sold the one in this photo for $7K a few years ago. It was a 455 car, a solid, drive-anywhere car that needed a new interior, some rust repair in the lower quarters and new paint.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 02-22-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post

Too bad there wasn't a box to check like that when they place those ads!!!! LOL

Old 03-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can always notify a nearby member to check it out. I know there are some in Jacksonville that could help. Maybe they have seen the car and could have told you right on the phone it was a POS!

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know exactly how you feel! I wasted over 5 hours yesterday driving up to MA to check out this POS that was COMPLETELY misrepresented! http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5468869227.html

Sure it's rare as you were not supposed to be able to order t-tops with a 350 on a bird in 1988 but the guy flat out lied about it's condition and was too much of a coward to show up when I got there to see it (it was at a local service shop)!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I know exactly how you feel! I wasted over 5 hours yesterday driving up to MA to check out this POS that was COMPLETELY misrepresented! http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5468869227.html

Sure it's rare as you were not supposed to be able to order t-tops with a 350 on a bird in 1988 but the guy flat out lied about it's condition and was too much of a coward to show up when I got there to see it (it was at a local service shop)!
That sucks! At least you didn't buy it sight-unseen!

I am starting to loose any hope on finding something decent on Craigslist. I contacted a guy with a '72 Lemans down in El Paso, TX, I asked for more info and pics and he sent a message saying to come check it out. When I told him I was from Milwaukee, all of a sudden there was someone that was coming to to look at it and he would probably sell it. He said if he didn't he would call. Well, no call and he just posted a new ad for the car! GGrrrrr!

Then, I contacted a guy here in Wisconsin about 5 hours north of me who has a '68 GTO. Asked him for more pics of the car before I trek up to check it out and he says he doesn't have any and would have to get some when he goes to his "lake house" this weekend where the car is. He says that all he has is this video. The video he sent me shows a dude throwing a branch in a wood chipper! What the hell!!!

Lastly, I contacted a member on here about a '72 Lemans. He lives in Vegas I believe. I have replied to his post, sent him private messages, and even left a message on his profile. I'm sure he has gotten them because he appears to log in everyday. He had an ad on craigslist as well and I contacted him via email asking about more info and even giving him my number. Nothing but crickets......

L o o s i n g H o p e F a s t......

Old 03-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear you, I try to limit my searches to 500 miles or less - a distance I could drive and then hopefully get back home in a day.

There had to be 5 or 6 different shades of red on that car not counting the Pep Boys generic touch-up paint work the owner had done! Side swiped down the driver's side (said it was the reflections in the paint), had been dragged over curbing (floors had massive drag marks in them) wiring under the hood was all hacked up, twisted open splices EVERYWHERE, said the interior was perfect (had glued material over driver's seat bolster) wouldn't start or run unless you were spraying starting fluid in it! The seller was a coward and wouldn't show up at the service shop the car is at - said his wife had run to the store, had left her phone at home and he had to watch his kids. Mechanics there were laughing at the guy, said he always has crap in there that he shines up & tries to sell. Oh, no SPID in the car too - claimed he had no idea what it was but had told me there was something with numbers & letters on it in the glove box - it was a Burger King receipt!!!

Here is an older listing of it on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Pontiac...p2047675.l2557 He said the buyer failed to complete the deal because he was a deadbeat - truth is the seller is, the car was a royal POS! Even if it turns out to be real, it may not be worth restoring!

Old 03-04-2016, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, did it at least have the 'original exhoust' and 'dry roted' tires?

How about the car in the background in this pic? Did you get to see it?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/22sAAO...KQ/s-l1600.jpg

Old 03-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL, no I didn't get to see the Donk Prix.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a Donk GrandMaVille

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-04-2016, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

Default Grandville

Also appears to be a convertible