Pontiac - Race The next Level

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2023, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default First full runs on new engine

Finished up the roll bar last week so I drove the T/A out to the track last night to make a few passes. Whole new experience for me. Never driven a car where I needed a roll bar and 5 point harness and fire jacket. It was hot and humid. Don't know how you guys do this in the hot summer months. Anyway, I made 4 runs on a track not well prepped but did manage a 10.84 @ 124. Had traction issues on the other 3. I feel pretty good about it since virtually no tuning has been done. I know it is running on the rich side of things and I have not changed the timing from the initial setting of 32*. May be okay but I want to try up and down a little bit. Also need a different converter. I have a PTC 9 " that worked great behind the 403 Olds that was in the car but the new engine pushes right through it at 1800 rpm. Would like to launch at a higher rpm to put the engine in it's power band. If that makes sense. Anyway, lots of tuning yet to be done.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to prostreet64 For This Useful Post: