Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Exactly! Your car, your taste, your business. You know how you want to build your own car. There's no need for Armchair quarterbacks telling you how you should do it.
I have a '59 wagon, so I wanted to understand the logic, OK armchair receiver?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Senior Chief

NO NOT OK SCOTT!! Just stop now and pick on someone your own size!! This site is not for your own amusment, it is for my own amusment, and futhermore, I'll have you know-- I am the knuckle head that bought the " fenderwell" headers in the first place :>) So just what am I going to do with said "fender well" headers?? That's for me to know and for you to find out!! lol - so bring it on big guy!! PS: Just how big of an ole boy are ya Scott??

Last edited by hellerods; 08-18-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: adding to post
Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerods View Post
NO NOT OK SCOTT!! Just stop now and pick on someone your own size!! This site is not for your own amusment, it is for my own amusment, and futhermore, I'll have you know-- I am the knuckle head that bought the " fenderwell" headers in the first place :>) So just what am I going to do with said "fender well" headers?? That's for me to know and for you to find out!! lol - so bring it on big guy!! PS: Just how big of an ole boy are ya Scott??
Big enough to tell you to take your whining to The Club House.

See you over there.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Guys, back in 1966, I had Doug custom build me a set of fenderwell four tube headers for my 59 Cat NHRA stocker. He needed a 59 at his shop before building my set. At the time I lived in Wichita. Kan. and no way to take to Calif. Doug found a local 59 Pont owner and used his car to build him and myself a custom set. As far as I know, ours were the only sets he built. Very well built, each side were two piece, two cylinder above the frame, the other two under the frame. They were slip fit and did not leak. I only had to cut and bend up just a small amount of the fender well, maybe two inches. In about 1993, I sold them to a guy on the East coast threw POOC mag. Wonder if the set are my Doug set. Floyd Hand

Last edited by Floyd Hand; 08-24-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 08-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

Wow, That's awesome Floyd! Got any pics of the headers or your car?

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, I have pictures of my 59, but no pictures of the headers, will try to post pictures later tonight. The headers would only fit the 59 and 60. Had the set on both cars.

Later, Floyd

Old 08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Senior Chief

Default fender well headers

Mr. Hand, I bought the headers and I am going to try an instalation on my 64 Catalina, The headers are two piece, slip fit. wth only one tube over the frame, the rearmost tube towards the firewall. Wish me luck, I sure I will need it to get these headers to fit, who knows! LOL This winter when time allows :>)

Old 08-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Hand View Post
Yes, I have pictures of my 59, but no pictures of the headers, will try to post pictures later tonight. The headers would only fit the 59 and 60. Had the set on both cars.

Later, Floyd
Hi, Floyd:

Does this one ring a bell?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floyd 59's.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	179503  

Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile

Scott, Yes, That is a picture taken in 66 or 67 of the NHRA stocker and my 59 tow car. Thanks for posting the picture. Floyd

Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

You're welcome.

Trouble is, I had to shrink that picture down small enough to be uploaded onto PY.

In the larger format, it is easy to make out what all that "stuff" is that is standing in front of those two beauties: TROPHIES!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Floyd, who did the other 59 belong to?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Robert,

When you went to race a couple of hundred miles away, you didn't drive a car with a 4.88 gear, so we had to have a tow car. Yes, both were mine. If you look close the tow bar is attached ready to go. My wife had her own Pontiac, a 57 2d hardtop.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

haha nice! What a pair of pontiacs

Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile

In my first post about the four tube Doug headers, I stated that two tubes ran over the frame and two under. The more I lay in bed thinking about them, I now remember that only one tube went over the frame and the set pictured could well be my old set. If they are they will only fit a 59 and 60. The guy that bought them was from the East coast and said he was building a 60 to install them on.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Chief

Default headers on a 64?

Mr. Hand, Well now you are making me very nervous about my header purchase. How much different are the 59-60 Catalina car frame frome the 61-64 Catalina car frames? Is the engine placed in the frame in a different location? How much did the frames change during those years? I am almost afraid to ask. Any info will greatly appreciated, thanks Lee

Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerods View Post
How much different are the 59-60 Catalina car frame frome the 61-64 Catalina car frames?
Very much.

Perimeter versus X-frame.

Different rear suspension.

Different front suspension.

Pontiac did things two years at a time, it seems.

59-60, 61-62, 63-64, 65-66, 67-68....you get the point.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

If you're looking for headers for a 63-64 full size car, you might want to consider 67-69 Firebird headers instead and just modify a couple of pipes on each side.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default fitment chances??

Hey Scott, So what do you think of my chanches of these headers fitting my 64?? I just opened the hood and eyeballed them, I thought there was a good chance, my biggest issue is with the last slip fit tube toward the firewall, looked like it would just fit under the steering shaft. Has anyone else tried the firebird headers?

Last edited by hellerods; 08-29-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: adding comments
Old 08-30-2009, 03:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the steering box is what's not going to clear on yoru 64...looks like you better give up now and sell them to me!

Scott's right though, the frame is about 100% different. The front steering is almost the same and the suspension isn't that much different but that's not going to matter on header fitment anyway.

I tried 3 tubes and 4 tube hedmans on my 59. Both sets almost fit. I still have the 4 tubes which I was goin to try on the '62 or the '63 but I never got around to test fitting them.

The starter was the only thing the headers didn't clear on the 3 tubes. They cleared but it was just about touching. I'm willing to bet the dimensions on a 64 are about the same so you'll probably have that same problem.

Bring your car to my place, I'll help you build a set of headers and you can give me the fenderwell exits in return haha

What I would do is watch craigslist for people selling pontiac headers cheap around you. If they don't work, put them right back on CL, you might get lucky and find a set that fits for like $50. You can always slighty modify them to work. You should have a lot less problems than we have with '59s because of yoru frame.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default PH--- build my headers at the beach???

Hey PH building a set of headers in exchange for the factory headers, sounds good. I have a better idea, why don't you come to Ca. and build the headers at my casa, I have a "granny unit" fully furnished and separate from the main house in the middle of wine country about two miles from the beach!!! On second thought---- this might not be that great of an idea, what should be a three day job would strech out to a couple of months with the chevelle always gone and you down cruising the beach checking out the college girls and half the county's wine inventory depleated!!!! Correcct me if I'm wrong!!

Last edited by hellerods; 08-30-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling?