Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-16-2024, 07:24 PM

android…It’s not complete. Good luck finding that needle in a haystack. In my region. I’ve got access to a block and crank.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:26 PM

So I scored a 60k mile running 287 w/hydramatic out of a Safari for $250. I bought it for the intake and Carter 4 barrel on it. And the oil pan that has an intact unbotched drain plug.

Looks like the 4bbl intake don’t have provisions for the kickdown linkage on it. Anyway to get around this or am I screwed?
I’d love to put it on the truck for the time being until I can get a 389 together.

Old 02-17-2024, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The HydraMatic from the '55 Pontiac will be what is called a "slant pan". It is clocked about 15 degrees (CCW looking from the rear of the car) on the bellhousing to make room for the transmission linkages in the 55-56 Pontiac X frame. 99% of the internals are the same, but getting the truck linkage hooked up to the tranny might be a trick.

I hate to sound like such a downer on this project. I just don't want you to run up against a wall you can't get over at some point down the line.

Old 02-17-2024, 01:24 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by drain89 View Post
... Looks like the 4bbl intake don’t have provisions for the kickdown linkage on it...
Trivia: the DualRange HydraMatic uses a TV linkage (throttle valve) not a "kickdown" linkage.
For the Tri-Power of my '59 I bought a generic throttle cable from some later vehicle (selected based on length I needed), built a bracket to bolt to the manifold to hold the end of the cable sheath, and a similar bracket at the HydroStick. The bracket at the carb is adjustable. It's been working fine for ten years. I could get a photo of the bracket at the carb if you want?

Old 02-17-2024, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by android 211 View Post
If you have a complete '59 engine then keep it together. Once you start swapping part years you run into unforeseen inchangeability problems. You need to figure out your compression ratio and reduce it to something like 9:1 or less if you're going to be towing. For the price Pontiacs 067 or 068 cam would give you the power and throttle response you want. Find a vintage 4bbl intake and use a Edelbrock carb to get the car running and driving before you spend the big bucks on EFI.
THIS^^^^. Use the born-with heads, crank, and everything else except pistons. New dished pistons will lower the compression enough to be pump gas friendly, and the valve size on those heads with an 067 or 068 cam will be great for torque. Keep it simple, keep it cheap, and it will all fit and be reliable.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Trivia: the DualRange HydraMatic uses a TV linkage (throttle valve) not a "kickdown" linkage.
For the Tri-Power of my '59 I bought a generic throttle cable from some later vehicle (selected based on length I needed), built a bracket to bolt to the manifold to hold the end of the cable sheath, and a similar bracket at the HydroStick. The bracket at the carb is adjustable. It's been working fine for ten years. I could get a photo of the bracket at the carb if you want?
Please do Jack. That would be very helpful.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you swap cams and use 1962 or older heads make sure that the new cam has the timed holes in the 2nd and 4th cam journal. If not, you wont have oil to the rocker arms. Read this https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...&highlight=cam thread for more info.

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 02-18-2024 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Starting on page 6A4 of this 1957 Pontiac shop manual https://www.pontiacsafari.com/57/Sho...%20Cooling.pdf you will find Pontiac's (instead of GMC's) explanation of early Pontiac V8 oil distribution. The camshaft and rocker arm info is on page 6A5.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:23 PM

Thanks Bill. I don't have heads yet but I’ll do 67 up heads since I have to start from scratch. I’ll probably go with a Torker intake. I find them cheap on the internet all the time. I’m going to punch it out .055 and use a 400 piston. As I understand, I can use a standard cam like the Crane hyd roller that was suggested here. Correct me if I’m wrong. The only area I’m seeing concern with this plan is with using the 1960 cover so I have the engine mount for my truck. I’ll have to drill and plumb a coolant return passage from the intake to the cover. I don’t think that should be too hard to navigate.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I mentioned the old B&M Hydro-stick Hydramatic's a while back. and just remembered this old link to more info on them and on the "stock" Hydramatics as well. If nothing, the link will provide you with more info on these ancestral Hydramatics. Read and enjoy.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...stick.1246713/

There are links within the above link to guide you to more in depth info.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 02-29-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
I mentioned the old B&M Hydro-stick Hydramatic's a while back. and just remembered this old link to more info on them and on the "stock" Hydramatics as well. If nothing, the link will provide you with more info on these ancestral Hydramatics. Read and enjoy.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...stick.1246713/

There are links within the above link to guide you to more in depth info.
Thanks, good info there..

The Following User Says Thank You to drain89 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont worry about oil if you use later heads and pushrod oiling.Tom

Old 03-07-2024, 01:48 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Here's a photo of the end of the throttle cable that I'm using as the TV link to the Hydro. The custom bracket for the cable housing bolts to a boss at the rear of the intake manifold ('61 SD Tri-Power). I don't remember if that boss exists on other manifolds (?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv_cable.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	630009  

Old 03-07-2024, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd use a cast iron intake probably for a qjet. I ran a 71 400 with 067 cam,qjet M40,4.10 gear in my 1974 Gm work truck. It had a heavy utility body. Loved the torque. Simplicity of the M40. Years ago. As I said I had a reworked slant pan in my 55 Pontiac. If I did the car today I'd use either a M40 or hd 4spd auto of today with 6x heads. At the time I reworked the advanced linkage for the slant pan myself.(at the time I was just flying by the seat of my pants) it worked.

Last edited by sdbob; 03-07-2024 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Add words
Old 03-08-2024, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Here's a photo of the end of the throttle cable that I'm using as the TV link to the Hydro. The custom bracket for the cable housing bolts to a boss at the rear of the intake manifold ('61 SD Tri-Power). I don't remember if that boss exists on other manifolds (?).
Thanks Jack.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I'd use a cast iron intake probably for a qjet. I ran a 71 400 with 067 cam,qjet M40,4.10 gear in my 1974 Gm work truck. It had a heavy utility body. Loved the torque. Simplicity of the M40. Years ago. As I said I had a reworked slant pan in my 55 Pontiac. If I did the car today I'd use either a M40 or hd 4spd auto of today with 6x heads. At the time I reworked the advanced linkage for the slant pan myself.(at the time I was just flying by the seat of my pants) it worked.
I’m going to try the hydramatic for now . If I don’t like it I’ll adapt over to a 4L80.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck. I do remember having the slant pan reworked by local trans expert. At full throttle,good tires,4.30 gears that trans when shifting 'about knock the windows out of the car' hard shifts. Sadly I had hard time getting car inspected because of modified,welded up exhaust pipes. Pa was a pain at times for inspection.