OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Transmission ID

I have assumed for years that the transmission in my car (69 FB Sprint) is a Saginaw 3sp. The trans is original to the car (Hurst shifter) but I do not have any numbers from it at the moment.

Anyone have a list of transmissions that went to the OHC's to be able to identify them?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All I've ever been able to come across are codes.
FWIW here they are...

Transmission Codes;
LF, 2spd AT 1BC wo/AC
LH, 2spd AT 1BC w/AC
LG, 2spd AT 4BC wo/AC
FY, 3spd MT Column shift (Saginaw)
FK, 3spd MT Floor Shift (Saginaw)
FH, 4spd MT Floor Shift (Saginaw)
FX, 4spd MT Floor shift (Muncie) close ratio

Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What jeff posted is correct, all 66-68 OHC-6 manual transmissions were either Saginaw 3 or 4 speeds. All 66-68 OHC-6 automatic's were ST-300's

It is the 69 model year that it gets alittle confusing, but all 1969 Firebird manual transmissions were also Saginaw 3 or 4-speeds. Lemans or Tempests with a 3speed gost the saginaw, with a 4-speed they got a Muncie M-21 Close ratio trans.

Both body styles with an automatic in 69 could have either a 2 speed ST-300, or a 3 speed TH-350, but from what I understand the ST-350 was a mid year option, and did cost alittle more $$$$$

So if your car has the original 3-speed it will be a Saginaw, idendifiable by its Iron outer case. I have never heard of or seen proof of either a "dearborn" or HD Muncie 3-speed trans bing available, and if the HD 3-speed muncie was available it would stand to reason it was only available in the Tempest/Lemans Body style, and any Sprint A-body is very very rare, and manual trans A-bodies numbered less than 100 units in 1969. (not counting 1bbl cars of course) And all years 1bbl cars all received Saginaw transmissions.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 07-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks! This info is clearing up a problem that I am trying to solve. The reverse lockout is missing off of my car and I have been looking at the repop's. The repop's all claim that they are made for 4sp Muncie and I am have read that they hook up different than the Saginaw.

The 1969 repop's "look" the same as the one illustrated in the Firebird parts catalog? I have the backdrive linkage rod but am missing the swivel bracket that mounts to the subframe and the rod that goes to the steering column.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 PM

Hello All

FYI

My 69 Tempest Le Mans Sprint has a Muncie 4 Speed and the 230 HP with the H Cam.

It is one of 445 Produced in that Configuration, Per PHS Documentation Check.

No Power Steering

No AC

Power Disc Brakes

Bench Seat

Heater and AM Radio

Manual Oval Antenna mounted on RF Fender

Take Care,

Dusty

Last edited by BMFH; 07-27-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFH View Post
Hello All

FYI

My 69 Tempest Le Mans Sprint has a Muncie 4 Speed and the 230 HP with the H Cam.

It is one of 445 Produced in that Configuration, Per PHS Documentation Check.

No Power Steering

No AC

Power Disc Brakes

Bench Seat

Heater and AM Radio

Manual Oval Antenna mounted on RF Fender

Take Care,

Dusty
Dusty,

We need to see pictures of this car! wow!

Old 07-28-2012, 01:14 PM

Hello All

I have been refurbishing it for some time; here are some pictures of it.

I bought it form a guy that was parting it out for GTO's etc. and was going to JUNK the Engine, I asked him PLEASE don't do that, and was able to buy it from him, He was even nice enough to put it all back together for for me before I drove it home. It Was GREAT

I almost got a ticket that day with the CHP for exhibition of Speed, i.e. Rowing the gears and chirping the tires in 2nd gear.

Still has a long way to go though.

Now that I have figured how to post pictures I will send some more later.

The last picture is the 7 blade fan and clutch/thermo hub I installed, a very tight fit, I have removed it now and am installing a BMW Electric 2 speed fan system.

Note: All modifications are being done in such a way as to NOT MODIFY the original vehicle in a way that it can not be put back into original condition as the OEM built it.

I have all the parts stored that have been removed for the mods.

I got another Diff Assy and installed an Eaton Posi, 4.56 Gear Set, New Axles, TA Diff Girdle, It is now installed in the car.

With the new diff, I laid 60ft of DUAL rubber in 1st, and 10ft in 2nd gears, the
205/75 14's weren't up to the Task of making good traction, I am working on tires and wheels now, I have 225/70 15's on it now to try out.

I also have a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit I am planning on installing as a Divorced Unit too, that should take my diff ratio back up to somewhere around 3.55 I hope, that way I can have the best of both worlds.

Again I am not modifying the Basic Vehicle, I am not drilling any holes, I am using the existing holes etc. to bolt to.

After I get it done, I am going GTO and Mustang hunting, It will be great. Expect to bag a few, right off the bat.

Feel free to ask any questions if you like.

Enjoy,

Dusty

Click image for larger version

Name:	Soney Pictures 666.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	292654

Name:	Soney Pictures 671.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	292657

Name:	Soney Pictures 683.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	292659

Name:	Soney Pictures 740.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	292660

Name:	Soney Pictures 676.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	292661

Last edited by BMFH; 07-28-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
Thanks! This info is clearing up a problem that I am trying to solve. The reverse lockout is missing off of my car and I have been looking at the repop's. The repop's all claim that they are made for 4sp Muncie and I am have read that they hook up different than the Saginaw.

The 1969 repop's "look" the same as the one illustrated in the Firebird parts catalog? I have the backdrive linkage rod but am missing the swivel bracket that mounts to the subframe and the rod that goes to the steering column.
Hello

The frame swivel bracket is the same as the automatic trans car I believe, I have a 69 Tempest Sprint/TH-350.

It looks just like my 69 Sprint Muncie 4 Speed piece that the linkage form the trans to the frame for the Reverse Lock-Out linkage attaches to.

Hope this Helps, I don't have any knowledge of the cars prior to 69 and the Manual 4 Speed Trans linkages.

Take Care,

Dusty

Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerjeff View Post
What jeff posted is correct, all 66-68 OHC-6 manual transmissions were either Saginaw 3 or 4 speeds. All 66-68 OHC-6 automatic's were ST-300's

It is the 69 model year that it gets alittle confusing, but all 1969 Firebird manual transmissions were also Saginaw 3 or 4-speeds. Lemans or Tempests with a 3speed gost the saginaw, with a 4-speed they got a Muncie M-21 Close ratio trans.

Both body styles with an automatic in 69 could have either a 2 speed ST-300, or a 3 speed TH-350, but from what I understand the ST-350 was a mid year option, and did cost alittle more $$$$$

So if your car has the original 3-speed it will be a Saginaw, idendifiable by its Iron outer case. I have never heard of or seen proof of either a "dearborn" or HD Muncie 3-speed trans bing available, and if the HD 3-speed muncie was available it would stand to reason it was only available in the Tempest/Lemans Body style, and any Sprint A-body is very very rare, and manual trans A-bodies numbered less than 100 units in 1969. (not counting 1bbl cars of course) And all years 1bbl cars all received Saginaw transmissions.
Jeff I think you meant to say "wide ratio M-20"

Old 07-29-2012, 12:45 AM

Hello All

Before I make allot of the GTO guys mad at me I want to Clarify what I said below in my earlier post.

"After I get it done, I am going GTO and Mustang hunting, It will be great. Expect to bag a few, right off the bat".

My car isn't going to be the biggest and baddest car out there, but it will run pretty strong for a 6 cylinder that is for sure. GTO's are real Strong Runners we all know that, but I expect to jump out there at first, but "Horse Power" will get me quick I know that.

As far as cars go, there are allot of 4 cylinders out there that will blow both of out doors off, even without the laughing gas.

As far as Mustangs go, I beat a 67 Mustang 289 HP (272 HP) 4 speed with my box stock 67 Firebird Sprint 6 (215 HP), 3 speed, 3.55 gears and no posi., so I know they can be had.

So what I am saying is that We ALL know the little 6 can get down to business when needed, and it really surprises allot of people along the way.

So, GTO guys I'm sorry if I may have ruffled your feathers. Sorry if I was too Frogie, after we all are just trying to have fun with our old Muscle Cars of the Past.

Take Care, and keep GRABB'N THOSE GEARS

Dusty