OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Default OHC 6 transmission changeover/replacement

I just brought home my first cammer in a '67 LeMans. She is great little runner with a sick 2 speed auto. In fact she's a one speeder at the moment. I need a little advice on switching to either a Turbo 350 BOP or possibly replacing the trans with donor '66 that I've had sitting in the back room for years. I really would like to stay with an automatic. Any pro's and con's. Thanks, Indy

Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I ran a TH -350 for several years behind my 68 Sprint and it was a dog. It had a 2200 RPM stall TCI converter and shift kit. The cammer REALLY likes to run with a manual.

The TH-350 uses the same crossmember, driveshaft output shaft and is the same length as the ST-300 you would be taking out. It is a good fit if you want to keep an auto. Get a converter and bolt it up. The next choice would be a 200R4 with overdrive, but the conversion is more difficult.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From the OHC YUKU cammer forum. He is in Illinois too !

I have the original 2spd auto trans out of my 1967 OHC6 Tempest, free to anyone that wants to come pick it up. I swapped the vehicle over to a stick shift. I will not ship it. It has approximately 80k on it and it shifted fine. The dipstick tube will need to be replaced, it got broken over the years sitting in my garage. If you are interested, contact me at pdembek@aol.com I live in the Chicagoland area. Thanks for looking

http://sohcsix.yuku.com/topic/2622/F...est-2spd-trans

Old 08-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Thanks PMD1969 , I am putting in the replacement 2sp. I have in stock. If that turns out to be a dud I will sure take ya up on your generous offer. All my other cars are Big cube sticks and I just wanted something to knock around in. That OHC is sure a cool looking motor. Has anybody put a T-5 behind one? I've got a couple of poncho bellhousings laying around. HMMMM, Thanks, Steve