OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What are OHC's going for these days

Messing around with the idea of getting one to run a generator project im building. What are rebuildable non stuck engines going for these days?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 PM

Hello

The Pontiac OHC 6 Engine is very expensive to rebuild, parts are hard to find, etc.

The 1 barrel engine would probably work best, as they are more plentiful than the Sprint Components would be, probably find allot of used parts that are serviceable as is, i.e. Cam and followers, the Sprint parts were ran hard and worn out usually.

Unless you are just going for the uniqueness of using it in your project.

I would suggest using a Chevy 230/250, they are a dime a dozen and parts are very cheap compared to the OHC 6, and you can get anything you need anywhere.

Any other popular and/or plentiful engine would probably work just as well too.

Any engine of this vintage needs GOOD OIL, you need the kind with High ZDDP additives in it, and the EPA is making the oil manufactures take it out of today’s oils to save the Catalytic Converters, so that they will last longer.

You can add it back into the oil by adding the additive yourself, Like STP, Red Line, Valvoline has a special oil for the older engines too, I think it is VR-1, Joe Gibbs has a Racing Oil that is high in ZDDP, AMSOIL also has a synthetic that is high in the ZDDP too, Plus there some others out there too.

I don't know if you know the right way to break in a new cam and lifters or not, but it is VERY important to do it right with high ZDDP Oil. I know that the procedure is pretty SCARRY, but it has to be done if you want the cam and lifters/followers to survive and have a long life.

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps

Take Care,

Dusty

Old 08-04-2012, 05:23 PM

I just picked up a one barrel engine missing the carb but everything else was there for a C-note. It had been left in the backroom of a local garage when they changed a tempest over to a V-8. The mechanic remembered that they drove it in. Indy

Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigunde View Post
Messing around with the idea of getting one to run a generator project im building. What are rebuildable non stuck engines going for these days?
with that said I have a 250 chevy been thinking of doing same with it.
Rebuilt it and went all out,forged pistons new cam oil pump timing gears etc
has about 40k on it and I parted the truck out because the drivers side door had nothing left to hang on. I had the idle set real low and wanted to see how low it would run at. I got it down to 400 RPM without any shaking or misfires.Motor is stored in garage and I really need to get it out,too many project to tackle right now.
make me an offer