OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Default Firebird Core Support Question

Hello All

I am going to put together a Firebird Sprint Clone, going the other direction from most.

My questions are:

Is the radiator Core Support the same for the V8 as it is for the 6 cyl?

There are 3 holes in the front top of the frame ears where it and the bumper brackets attach, which holes is it bolted to, i.e. , front, middle, or rear hole on the frame for the 6 cylinder engine?

Has anyone else done this conversion, if so what were problems you encountered?

Thanks In Advance,

Dusty

Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I learned that a 67 Sprint core support was for 15" radiator just like the V-8 non A/C, non heavy duty units. Can not comment on a 69 with 100 % accuracy.

Tim john---

Old 08-20-2012, 01:54 PM

Hello All

Thanks for the input.

I guess I should say that I am going to build up a "68" Firebird Sprint Clone and it may house the BMFH too someday. I didn't think there would be any difference 67-69, but maybe.

This is project going to be done with allot of parts that I have had in storage for many years, so the cost will be minimal for me at this time since I already have most items.

I am also going to retro-fit a Front Steer sub frame off a Nova to get more clearance for the Oil Pan, because the BMFH has a Dry Sump Oiling System and needs more room under the engine for pan clearance.

I have heard that installing a Front Steer Sub Frame is somewhat difficult because you have to Re-Fabricate the front frame ears, and convert them so that the Firebird bumper can be mounted correctly. I don't want to cut off the Original Firebird Sub-Frame ears for the parts, and Destroy an Original Firebird Sub-Frame.

Speaking of Sub-Frames, does anyone have a Severely Damaged 67-69 Firebird or Camaro Sub-Frame that still has good front frame ears that they wouldn't mind cutting off the frame front ears for me, and I would purchase them from you, just forward of the Suspension Main Cross Member, is the parts of the frame that I need, including the small cross member to keep everything in alignment. Some light damage could be OK, if easily repairable.

I can fabricate the new frame ears from Scratch if I have to, since I am also a Journeyman Level Welder and have been fabrication things for about 50 years, my Dad had a welding shop when I was growing up and taught me how to weld.

Has anyone else done a Front Steer Frame transplant? I would greatly appreciate any guidance from others that might have done this.

I am mainly concerned about the positioning of the core support as to the placement at the fenders, I think as it is moved from the rear/middle holes for a V8 to the front holes for a 6 on the frame will raise and lower its point on contact with the fenders and alter their alignment with the doors, and may also alter where the bolt goes in to both of them.

Take Care All, and thanks for your attention

Dusty

Maybe I am worrying about nothing, just thought I would ask.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not sure if it would help but if you want me to take some pictures I can try to get some shots posted for you?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Hello

That would help, I need a really good picture on the NON BATTERY side to see the empty hole or holes behind the Core Support and in front of it as a reference.

A measurement from the top or the core support, straight down to the TOP of the rubber isolator steel washer where the core support sits on/meets it would let me know how tall the 6 Cyl. Core support is for comparison between it and the V8 one I now have.

Thanks,

Dusty

Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim john View Post
I learned that a 67 Sprint core support was for 15" radiator just like the V-8 non A/C, non heavy duty units. Can not comment on a 69 with 100 % accuracy.

Tim john---
Firebird is key here

Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a subframe thats got some rust in it,couldnt bear to throw it out because I wanted the lower portion of the crossmember
Still has the OHC-6 frame mounts on it too.
As for the core supports they are all the same 67-9 V8 or OHC-6.
minor differences in some attachments but really any year will work.
All you need to change is the throttle cable,frame mounts,fuel line
(could be made to work) exhaust and remove the radiator shroud and put the finger guard on.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFH View Post
I am also going to retro-fit a Front Steer sub frame off a Nova to get more clearance for the Oil Pan, because the BMFH has a Dry Sump Oiling System and needs more room under the engine for pan clearance.

I have heard that installing a Front Steer Sub Frame is somewhat difficult because you have to Re-Fabricate the front frame ears, and convert them so that the Firebird bumper can be mounted correctly. I don't want to cut off the Original Firebird Sub-Frame ears for the parts, and Destroy an Original Firebird Sub-Frame.

Has anyone else done a Front Steer Frame transplant? I would greatly appreciate any guidance from others that might have done this.
If you do the front steer conversion can you document it? I'm considering this conversion on my '69 Firebird. I've seen a front steer rack and pinion conversion on a '68 Camaro, but not sure if it was a kit or fabrication job. The steering shaft went through a tube installed in the cross member.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dusty,

I hope these help.