THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A Pontiac story

I have just listed, and sold, a Pontiac flag in the "collectibles" forum, but thought some here might like to hear the story behind my acquiring the flag.

Jefferson City, Missouri is located on the banks of the Missouri River, and a number of old businesses were located in the flood plain. In 1976 (I think, may have been 1977), the city decided to do something about the floor plain, and eminent domain was invoked.

The Pontiac dealer had been there from about the time of Noah and the great flood, and was a combination Pontiac and Packard dealer. They moved across town, but sold off a lot of stuff. The pictured flag came from there

At the same time, I purchased hundreds of Pontiac training filmstrips and other Pontiac audio/video which started my collection of these; plus a complete run of both Packard and GMC training filmstrips which I sold through Hemmings. Also, a good run of Pontiac dealer albums, parts books, etc. for the older stuff.

There was some larger stuff that I didn't want, couldn't afford, and no internet. At the time, I was a member of POCI, and called some of the folks I knew. One of the larger items was a crate Pontiac V-8, I think either 1955 or 1956 that one of my friends purchased. Another large item was a crate Packard engine, that another friend purchased.

So all the above stuff was salvaged; but the heartbreak of the situation was the glass. These folks had a large body shop in conjunction with the dealership. On the last day, I could have had the glass free! But no way to haul, and no place to store. They backed up a dump truck to one of the windows (the glass was on the upper story) and the removers tossed rack after rack full of curved windshields for 1950's cars into the dump truck, trying to make the loudest crash.

After everything was removed, the building was razed.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2023, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the story. What was the dealership name. It sounded like you said “Sharkels” on the phone, but I googled it and found nothing.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it was Shikles, not sure, LONG time ago. I tried Google as well, and did not find them.

EDIT: It was Shikles. Google found an obit of a mechanic that worked there.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 06-12-2023 at 06:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2023, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From Jon Hardgrove:

Shikles Motor Co 208 Broadway Jefferson City, MO

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Spent some time today putting them up in the shop. Thanks Jon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D9CBD0C-E1DA-448B-A9E1-0F8F06022FBF.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	614416  

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking;
So all the above stuff was salvaged; but the heartbreak of the situation was the glass. These folks had a large body shop in conjunction with the dealership. On the last day, I could have had the glass free! But no way to haul, and no place to store. They backed up a dump truck to one of the windows (the glass was on the upper story) and the removers tossed rack after rack full of curved windshields for 1950's cars into the dump truck, trying to make the loudest crash.
Oh, my....
Heartbreaking is right.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:34 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the story,
Sadly, situations like this likely get repeated over and over with all the manufacturers products.

Some where and sometime likely every rare and wanted piece from every car ever made was dumped in the trash.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:48 AM

'62 yearbook ad ~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 7.46.51 AM.png
Views:	38
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	614439  

The Following User Says Thank You to WQ59B For This Useful Post: