Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Spark advance at idle

I'm having trouble getting my 462 to re-start after warm-up. After the engines is hot (180-190) and I shut down the motor the starter has trouble turning the engine over and even at times seems to bind up the starter. This happens even after idling in the garage after the engine warms. I think Ive addressed all the starting system type of issues so just yesterday I looked into my spark advance at idle. At 1000 rpm the total advance is 25 degrees. The engine (462) loves all the advance at idle and has great throttle response and drives well. Cam (XE 284) idles rough and wants 950-1000 rpm for 11 inches of vacuum.

At 1000rpm
Initial timing 12 deg
vacuum advance 10
Mechanical 3

At 3000 rpm
Intitial 12
Mechanical 22

engine:
Kre dport 85cc 310cfm
XE 284 cam
1.65 HS rollers
Edel RPM
MSD ready to run 8528 distributor (has vacuum advance)
Holley 750 DP each throttle plate has 3/32 holes
Idles at about 13.7-14.0 air fuel ratio.

Starting system:
Battery in trunk 1 gauge + cable 0 gauge grounds
Ford solenoid located in trunk next to battery
Summit mini starter

Ive tried reducing the initial down 5 degrees to 7 initial to bring total spark advance at 1000 rpm to 20 total but still have a hot start issue and the engine is much more "grumpy" idling.

Is 25 degrees of total advance too much at 950-1000 rpm idle ? Does this seem fine and maybe I should target an issue with my starting sytem.

Ive read on the board here that others are running this much advance at idle and I dont know if they experience Hot start issues.